The Best NFL Receiver

Come on guys, is this really even a debate? Art Monk, Hines freaking Ward?!!! Please don't let your homerism get involved in this debate. :confused:
I thought the WR spot was the only position in football that there is a consensus all time best............ Jerry Rice!!!!

Most Pass Receptions, Career- 1,549
Most Seasons, 50 or More Pass Receptions- 17
Most Consecutive Games, Pass Receptions- 274
Most Yards Gained, Career- 22,895
Most Seasons, 1,000 or More Yards, Pass Receiving- 14
Most Yards Gained, Season- 1,848
Most Games, 100 or More Yards Pass Receiving, Career- 76
Most Touchdowns, Career- 197
Most Touchdowns, Season- 22
Most Consecutive Games, Touchdowns- 13
1985 Rookie of the Year
Super Bowl XXIII MVP
3 Super Bowl Rings
13x Pro Bowl Selections in 20 year career

And the scary thing is, for most of these significant records, there is no one close to touching Rice's accomplishments! As a player, is there really anything else to accomplish if you're Rice?
That one just got broken by Randy Moss.

Come on guys, is this really even a debate? Art Monk, Hines freaking Ward?!!! Please don't let your homerism get involved in this debate. :confused:
I thought the WR spot was the only position in football that there is a consensus all time best............ Jerry Rice!!!!

Most Pass Receptions, Career- 1,549
Most Seasons, 50 or More Pass Receptions- 17
Most Consecutive Games, Pass Receptions- 274
Most Yards Gained, Career- 22,895
Most Seasons, 1,000 or More Yards, Pass Receiving- 14
Most Yards Gained, Season- 1,848
Most Games, 100 or More Yards Pass Receiving, Career- 76
Most Touchdowns, Career- 197
Most Touchdowns, Season- 22
Most Consecutive Games, Touchdowns- 13
1985 Rookie of the Year
Super Bowl XXIII MVP
3 Super Bowl Rings
13x Pro Bowl Selections in 20 year career

And the scary thing is, for most of these significant records, there is no one close to touching Rice's accomplishments! As a player, is there really anything else to accomplish if you're Rice?

You go by your numbers and that is fine.

I feel Jerry Rice is the best ever as well ....
I asked earlier if we were talking best ever or best CURRENT players, there is quite a difference.
I would never put Hines in with Rice, but I would put Hines in as one of the best CURRENT receivers.

Jimbo

You go by your numbers and that is fine.

I feel Jerry Rice is the best ever as well ....
I asked earlier if we were talking best ever or best CURRENT players, there is quite a difference.
I would never put Hines in with Rice, but I would put Hines in as one of the best CURRENT receivers.

Jimbo

Even at that argument, Hines isn't deserving of that title. Ward is a good "team" player, but so is Wes Welker and Josh Cribbs. Those guys do the little things that help a team win, like blocking and motivating their teams through leadership. With that said, neither one will ever be a truly elite receiver, now or ever.......

A few WR's, who IMO, are currently better at their position than Ward.....

Randy Moss
Terrell Owens
Marvin Harrison
Larry Fitzgerald
Chad Johnson
Steve Smith
TJ Houshmandzadeh
Torry Holt
Reggie Wayne
Plaxico Burress
Anquan Boldin
Andre Johnson
Braylon Edwards

Even at that argument, Hines isn't deserving of that title. Ward is a good "team" player, but so is Wes Welker and Josh Cribbs. Those guys do the little things that help a team win, like blocking and motivating their teams through leadership. With that said, neither one will ever be a truly elite receiver, now or ever.......

Randy Moss
Terrell Owens
Marvin Harrison
Larry Fitzgerald
Chad Johnson
Steve Smith
TJ Houshmandzadeh
Torry Holt
Reggie Wayne
Plaxico Burress
Anquan Boldin
Andre Johnson
Braylon Edwards

The bottom half of your list is flawed
I would but Hines below Chad Johnson on your list and I would move Reggie Wayne in the same area as Hines.
Both are much better than TJ, Plex, the bottom three are not in the same class either, that said, I would take any of them on my team as well. (the bottom three, lots of potential)
Harrison was hurt for most of the year and now a 103 years old.
Chad is a really good player, but I would not want him on my team, that goes for Moss and TO as well.
Fitzgerald could be really special if he was in the right place.
Steve Smith has had a few really good years, but nothing for the duration.

Torry Holt I like, but I think he too is at the end of his career.

Jimbo

No way is Hines better than TJ. I know I am a fan of the Bengals, but having two #1 receivers on the team means they aren't probably going to lead the league in anything, although TJ this year was right at the top and ahead of Chad.

No way is Hines better than TJ. I know I am a fan of the Bengals, but having two #1 receivers on the team means they aren't probably going to lead the league in anything, although TJ this year was right at the top and ahead of Chad.

You can have your TJ and I'll keep Hines.

Jimbo

In the "Best" you need to specify, are we talking CURRENT players, or everyone.
If you go by NUMBERS as many do, you will come up with many great numbers guys.
If you are talking BEST in the current playing era ...

I'll take

Hines Ward

He does it all, how many of your leading guys with the great numbers , don't bother to play when the play doesn't go to them ?

Whens the last time you saw a T.O. or Moss block anyone on a regular basis, (they may occasionally get in the way and be considered a block)

Jimbo

Randy Moss
Terrell Owens
Marvin Harrison
Larry Fitzgerald
Chad Johnson
Steve Smith
TJ Houshmandzadeh
Torry Holt
Reggie Wayne
Plaxico Burress
Anquan Boldin
Andre Johnson
Braylon Edwards

Hmmmm. ESPN just released their top 64 current WR list. See link: Here.

Hines is #18! Looks like I was pretty accurate with my account that there are quite a few active players ahead of him.

Hmmmm. ESPN just released their top 64 current WR list. See link: Here.

Hines is #18! Looks like I was pretty accurate with my account that there are quite a few active players ahead of him.

AND a WHOLE LOT BEHIND HIM.

For the Hines and TJ arguement thats not really an arguement, they are only 2 apart so I would call it a wash, still there are plenty behind them and I would NOT put Roy Williams that high....
Are they going by LAST year or over the course of thier career

Jimbo

ESPN has been discussing WR rankings this past week. It just so happens this is related to our topic of discussion specific to this thread.

I posted a link to their listing of "Current Top 64 WR's" in my last post.

Now ESPN ranked the "Top 10 WR's of All Time". Here is the link: ESPN - Start with Rice No. 1, Moss No. 2 in best WR debate - NFL

And the list according to ESPN:

1. Jerry Rice
2. Randy Moss
3. Don Hutson
4. Michael Irvin
5. Paul Warfield
6. Charley Taylor
7. Steve Largent
8. Chris Carter
9. Terrell Owens
10. Marvin Harrison

Really ..... How'd the running game go ? :confused::rolleyes:

Hines is also not a ME guy...

I guess when BigBen spouted off that he'd like the Steelers to go after a "tall receiver", and Hines threw a hissy fit about it, doesn't make him ME guy? :confused:

That's more negativity than we've heard from Moss all year.

ESPN has been discussing WR rankings this past week. It just so happens this is related to our topic of discussion specific to this thread.

I posted a link to their listing of "Current Top 64 WR's" in my last post.

Now ESPN ranked the "Top 10 WR's of All Time". Here is the link: ESPN - Start with Rice No. 1, Moss No. 2 in best WR debate - NFL

And the list according to ESPN:

1. Jerry Rice
2. Randy Moss
3. Don Hutson
4. Michael Irvin
5. Paul Warfield
6. Charley Taylor
7. Steve Largent
8. Chris Carter
9. Terrell Owens
10. Marvin Harrison

Looking at the list, and the criteria used, I'm still not convinced Randy Moss should be #2.

Though, I have to admit the panel of "experts" are certainly more qualified to evaluate players than I am.

I guess when BigBen spouted off that he'd like the Steelers to go after a "tall receiver", and Hines threw a hissy fit about it, doesn't make him ME guy? :confused:

That's more negativity than we've heard from Moss all year.

I did not hear that, but, thats MORE complaining than I've see from Hines since he's been in the league.

Do you have a link with him stating that he was upset ?
Like I said, I missed it.

It would only make sense that Ben would like a tall rec.to go with the others, particularly seeing his previous tall rec. left (Plexaco) Every QB would like a tall rec.

Jimbo

The list of best wide receivers goes like this:

1. Jerry Rice
2. Randy Moss
3 through X: everyone else.

Those two are the best I've seen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts