The Best Postseason Game Ever

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
Since the playoffs are rapidly coming, what is the best postseason game you've seen? Doesn't matter what year and to be technical one game playoffs don't count.

I know an obvious answer is Reds-Red Sox '75 World Series game 6, but I was too young to stay up and watch that game.

I have three nominees:

1. Yankees-Red Sox 2004 ALCS: Game #5: Game started at 4pm ET and ended around midnight! :eek:

2. Blue Jays-Braves 1992 World Series: Game #6: Blue Jays win their first championship in extra innings.

3. Braves-Twins 1991 World Series: Game #6

3. Braves-Twins 1991 World Series: Game #6

I think Game 7 of that series was better.

BTW, let me throw in some other games I remember well that are also memorable to me:

Game 7 of the 1992 NLCS

Game 4 of the 1993 World Series

Games 2 and 5 of the 1995 ALDS

Games 5 and 6 of the 2004 NLCS

Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS

Game 6 of the 1999 NLCS

Game 6 2002 World Series with the Angels' incredible comeback from what was seemingly a ring for Roid Boy & Co. That was as awesome as it gets!!!!:D:D

However, a close second is Game 6 of the 1986 Series which is the infamous Buckner game. (I can still hear Scully's gravely voice "The ball goes through Buckner's legs....AND THE METS WIN IT!!!!" Great stuff.:up

However, a close second is Game 6 of the 1986 Series which is the infamous Buckner game. (I can still hear Scully's gravely voice "The ball goes through Buckner's legs....AND THE METS WIN IT!!!!" Great stuff.:up

I don't consider that a "great game" as much as a "memorable game".

Game 7 of the ALCS (another memorable Red Sox loss) was a GREAT game. The Yankees came back and won that game without the benefit of physical errors (but there were MENTAL errors :eek:).

Some very memorable games which have not yet been mentioned here:

1980 NLCS g5
1984 NLCS g4
1986 ALCS g5
1986 NLCS g6
2003 NLCS g6

1986 ALCS g5

I mentioned this the other night in another thread, but it bears repeating here:

As excited as I was at the time of this game...........what happened to Donnie Moore- and by extension his family when he took his own life- is very haunting, and personally took away any good feelings I had about that game.

Game 6 of the '85 World Series was another"memorable" game. Umpire Don Denkinger personally stole the World series trophy from the Cardinals and handed it to the Royals! :rolleyes:

Game 6 2002 World Series with the Angels' incredible comeback from what was seemingly a ring for Roid Boy & Co. That was as awesome as it gets!!!!:D:D

That was a good comeback and was probably a great monent for any Angels fan, but unfortunately that was one of the lowest rated WS ever. Nobody outside of California cared about the Angels and the Giants. Moments like the Buckner error were more memorable because people were actually watching.

unfortunately that was one of the lowest rated WS ever. Nobody outside of California cared about the Angels and the Giants. Moments like the Buckner error were more memorable because people were actually watching.

He's right about the ratings.

Consider:

1986 NBC 28.6

2002 FOX 11.9

Here's a startling fact: FOX's highest-rated World Series is 17.4.

Here are the ratings for the 4 World Series that CBS televised in order:

20.8, 24.0, 20.2, 17.3

CBS, as bad as they were at televising baseball, still got superior Fall Classic ratings- and two of those had a team from Canada!

One of the best, and certainly most underrated series I've ever seen was Orioles-Pirates '79 WS. Orioles-Pirates was the first World Series that I watched EVERY game, and it was a GREAT and entertaining series!

I could have watched the entire '78 World Series, but my heart and stomach just wasn't into it! :(

One of the best, and certainly most underrated series I've ever seen was Orioles-Pirates '79 WS. Orioles-Pirates was the first World Series that I watched EVERY game, and it was a GREAT and entertaining series!

Talk about falling on hard times.

If I told a younger baseball fan that the Orioles and Pirates once played in a World Series, I'd get laughed at.

Orioles, Pirates- my GAWD, how the mighty have fallen.

Talk about falling on hard times.

If I told a younger baseball fan that the Orioles and Pirates once played in a World Series, I'd get laughed at.

Orioles, Pirates- my GAWD, how the mighty have fallen.

The Orioles and Pirates played each other twice in the 70's: 1971 and 1979.

The Orioles and Pirates played each other twice in the 70's: 1971 and 1979.

I know.

What I meant to say is that when you were in your younger days, the Orioles and Pirates were truly feared.

Nowadays, both teams are terrible, ridiculed, and laughingstocks from coast-to-coast.

As I said before, to steal one of your phrases, my GAWD, how the mighty have fallen.

CBS, as bad as they were at televising baseball, still got superior Fall Classic ratings- and two of those had a team from Canada!

In all fairness, CBS had some memorable moments/games/series during their four year run:

* Pirates-Braves NLCS showdowns (with a "skinny" Barry Bonds)

* The Reds run to an improbable championship

* Roger Clemens meltdown on the mound while wearing "war paint" (in retrospect, I guess it was roid rage :rolleyes:)

* Braves-Twins '91 WS, considered by many as the greatest WS ever

* The Blue Jays back-to-back championships..........winning two memorable game 6's

Don't forget too is that back when CBS did the World Series, there wasn't 200 channels or whatever it is now, so the ratings for just about anything would be higher and better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)