The Best Postseason Game Ever

I was at Game 4 of the 2003 playoffs game between the Giants and Marlins. 1st and 2nd, 2 outs in the top of the 9th....Single to leftfield and Mr. Marlin, Jeff Conine throws a perfect one bounce bullet to home where there is a collision between former football player J.T. Snow and Pudge Rodriguez to preserve the win and win the series 3 to 1. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, for the first time in postseason history, a series ended with the potential tying run thrown out at the plate.

Best part was Pudge was nailed and after the dust cleared he held up the ball high to show the umpire he had control.:cool:

I was at Game 4 of the 2003 playoffs game between the Giants and Marlins. 1st and 2nd, 2 outs in the top of the 9th....Single to leftfield and Mr. Marlin, Jeff Conine throws a perfect one bounce bullet to home where there is a collision between former football player J.T. Snow and Pudge Rodriguez to preserve the win and win the series 3 to 1. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, for the first time in postseason history, a series ended with the potential tying run thrown out at the plate.

Best part was Pudge was nailed and after the dust cleared he held up the ball high to show the umpire he had control.:cool:

I remember very well watching this game. It was an early Saturday afternoon start, right?

I remember very well watching this game. It was an early Saturday afternoon start, right?

All four Division Series (Yanks-Twins, A's-Sox, Cubs-Braves) were on October 4th.

I think Giants/Fish was an afternoon start, for the ending occured in daylight. The other three games ended in night.

All four Division Series (Yanks-Twins, A's-Sox, Cubs-Braves) were on October 4th.

I think Giants/Fish was an afternoon start, for the ending occured in daylight. The other three games ended in night.

Thanks, Sabres.

Yup, I looked it up on baseballreference.com (to satisfy my curiosity), and it was indeed a 1:05 ET start. :up

BTW, Bill, speaking of those games on the 4th of October,

I'm sure you remember the A's hilarious inability to actually run the bases in that third game.

(The next day was the simultaneous 'Titans score when Red Sox win' moment)

BTW, Bill, speaking of those games on the 4th of October,

I'm sure you remember the A's hilarious inability to actually run the bases in that third game.

(The next day was the simultaneous 'Titans score when Red Sox win' moment)

I sure do!! Eric Byrnes looked like he was on drugs running the bases (no offense Sabs, I know you were an A's fan then), and then Trot Nixon ended it with a walk-off HR.

Speaking of bad baserunning by the A's, how about the game in the '01 ALDS when Jeter made the relay to throw out Jason Giambi's slow ass brother at the plate. The Yankees held on to win 1-0 and came back from 2 games down to win that series. Take nothing away from Jeter, that play is why he'll be in the HOF, but I never understood why Giambi didn't slide. The only reason he was tagged out was because he was lumbering home like an elephant and was an easy target for Posada to tag.

Yes it was and afternoon game....the day, I don't remember but saturday sounds about right. Damn I love that Pudge Rodriguez, what he did for Beckett, Burnett, Penny, Pavano and Willis was amazing. Taught those guys how to be pitchers and how to win....even if he and Beckett somewhat hated each other.

I know an obvious answer is Reds-Red Sox '75 World Series game 6, but I was too young to stay up and watch that game.

Well, I was in my 20's and I agree with this being an obvious answer!!!...:up
Even tho my Reds lost, it was probably the greatest game I can ever remember watching!!!...:cool:

Talk about falling on hard times...If I told a younger baseball fan that the Orioles and Pirates once played in a World Series, I'd get laughed at...Orioles, Pirates- my GAWD, how the mighty have fallen.

...Nowadays, both teams are terrible, ridiculed, and laughingstocks from coast-to-coast...

And the Giants have reverted to mediocrity since...Talk about a franchise-changing moment.

...I'm sure you remember the A's hilarious inability to actually run the bases in that third game...

Memory maimer. :mad: ;)

I know an obvious answer is Reds-Red Sox '75 World Series game 6...,

Even tho my Reds lost, it was probably the greatest game I can ever remember watching!!!...:cool:

I was in highschool and watched that one with my Dad. Being a huge Pirate fan, I naturally hated the Reds then. Greatest postseason MLB I've ever seen, for sure. :)

I sure do!! Eric Byrnes looked like he was on drugs running the bases (no offense Sabs, I know you were an A's fan then), and then Trot Nixon ended it with a walk-off HR.

And he actually got up and shoved 'Tek instead of touching home plate, 'Tek just tagged him out while he was limping away :D

2004 ALCS Gm 6 takes the cake for me.. elimination game at Yankee Stadium, a previously unhittable Lieber, Schilling's bloody sock, umps getting the Bellhorn HR and the A-Rod purse slap calls right

I know an obvious answer is Reds-Red Sox '75 World Series game 6, but I was too young to stay up and watch that game.

I was 10 and fortunately, my parents were fans, too, so I was allowed to stay up and watch. I remember looking at the clock when the game ended, and it said 12:35.

I was only 1 when that happened and I have seen it probably a dozen times. It was a great game. I loved what Sparky said about the game. He told Pete Rose that it was the greatest game he had ever been apart of and Pete told him he was crazy because they lost the game.

OK, baseball fans! I have a trivia question for you.

Can anyone name the Red Sox pitcher who gave up the game-winning hit to Joe Morgan in the 9th inning of this game? And don't look it up!

That one guy. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts