The big Question???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

packman95

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
All right guys, i am a new member and did do a little reading prior to this post so don't blast me. I recently bought a new HD television and have always been a cable guy. I do not have weeks to discuss my issues i have with Charter Comm. I am looking to go satellite. Someone point me in the right direction. Dis* vs. Direc*????? I am looking for a HD DVR reciever. I live in NC if that helps. Also someone explain the picture quality difference in MPeg 2 vs. 4

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum, packman95!
For the best HD selection (today, not down the road) go with Dish and get 942 HD DVR. As a new customer you should be able to lease it for $250.
MPEG4 is just a different compression algorithm that is supposed to produce a much better compression ratio. Whether the picture quality will be better or worse will all depend on how it is used (or abused) by the DBS company. ;)

2 & 4 are compression algorithms. Either can be over compressed, saving bandwidth but resulting in poor PQ. The benefit of MPEG-4 is that ROUGHLY half the bandwidth can be used to produce the same quality picture.

In a nutshell, there are, I submit, two criteria for deciding today between D* & E*:
If you MUST have the NFL Sunday Ticket, and are willing to sacrifice all else, and pay the price of about $200 or so, then DirecTV (D*) is your choice.
If you want the best PQ and the most HD, then Echostar (E*) is your choice. E* has more national HD channels than D* due to Voom, and is putting up HD local channels just like D*, although at a slower pace. Plus, measurements have been posted about the resolution and bandwidth used by the satcos. D* compresses more and has measurably lower PQ. E* recently tried lowering their PQ, but has seen the light and will shortly return to the high PQ they provided before. On 1/5/06 E* will add even more VOOM HD channels, so there will be 15 VOOM HD channels plus the other HD.

Another consideration is the DVRs, receivers, etc. D* has dumped Tivo, although some units are still available if you ask for them. There is no Tivo MPEG-4 HD D* DVR and probably never will be, as their contract expires 2007 and they are being phased out by D* now. D* has a new provider. E* is now distributing new MPEG-4 capable boxes. I'd recommend getting the 211 or 322, and later, the 622.
The E* 942 has a great rep, but may or may not be upgradeable to MPEG-4.

thanks for the info Navy chops. I do not feel that i will ever get the NFL package i think i am leaning towards the E* system. My only hesitation is the MPEG-4 that i keep reading about. Is there any quess as to the time frame on a new reciever coming out? Since i want to take advantage of the HD television that i bought i quess that leaves me with getting the 942 receiver. Also is there any word on when E* is going to add ESPN2HD?

The new MPEG-4 8PSK HD non-DVR receivers are the 411 & 211, officially "out" tomorrow. They replace the 811. I'd go with the 211, as it has an Ethernet port that might one day be useful. The 622, the DVR version, has no shipping date. I'd guess spring or summer, but the date MIGHT be announced at CES, held Jan 5-8, 2006, at Lost Wages. The 942 will work for HD for quite some time, but eventually it will have to be replaced. They'll lease you one as a new subscriber- but it's $250 up front plus monthly fee. Beats $700 for purchase.

Maybe someone else knows about ESPN2HD- I have no interest in sports since Rollerball failed to take off.;) But maybe they'll announce that at CES also. Of course, the next satellite launches in February, so maybe they'll have space to add that after the launch. DISH seems to be intent on being ahead in HD- so far, they are.

I get my HD OTA while waiting on the 622 (or 962, if that will ever exist). Moved here (northern VA) from near New Bern, NC for better jobs. We'd drive 2.5 hrs to Cary to go to a good Indian Restaurant. Here, we drive 15-20 minutes and have several to pick from. I guess I'm not cut out for the rural lifestyle.

Last edited:
I finally watched the last Charlie Chat and discovered on it they said ESPN2HD would be on DISH in January.

Some cablecos do a good job. Where I live, and each place I have previously lived, the cableco signal was, err, "disappointing." I get my HD OTA, and that is the BEST source, for those of us able to receive it.

This is the lineup for me:
ABCHD (KSFYD)
PBSHD (KBHED)
PBSHD (KESDD)
CBSHD (KELOD)
NBCHD (KDLTD)
FOXHD (KTTWD)
ESPNHD
FSNHD
TNTHD
DHDTV
HDNet
HDNet Movies
INHD
INHD2
HBOHD
HBOHDW
MAXHD
MAXHDW
STARZ-HD
STARZ-HDW
ShowtimeHD
TMCHD

Is this about what everyone else is seeing from the cablecos?

Neal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)