The BluRay killer??

I think Vurby is looking in the right direction. It might take a few years, and who knows whether it will be either: Sat, Fios, Cable or DSL. But there are several companies with BIG $$$ jumping on this bandwagon, including Netflix and others who have an interest in shaping the next way we get movies. As usual it is logistics; if the hardware techonolgy and delivery system were ready right now, we would not even be discussing BD or HD-DVD. I would not be suprised if in 10 years ANY disc format will be a curious relic like laserdisc.
Far in the future you may have a point. In the now, I still dont see it as the "blu-ray killer" that vurb would like it to be. I think that this format (blu-ray/HD-DVD) will run its course over the years much like DVD will (perhaps it wont have quite that market penetration) then be replaced by something better (which could be this, but no time soon).

So I stand by my statement that I dont see it as competition, and I will add the word NOW.

Can someone rename this forum please?

It's clearly no longer the "HD-DVD / Blu-Ray warzone." Now it's the "HD-DVD is dead so let's all lament how much Blu-Ray sucks and search the internet frantically for some glimmer of hope of the 'next big thing' that will kill Blu-Ray" forum.
We are allowed a 14 day whine period for morning. Deal with it, this is the war zone. Did you just think we would go away quitely?

Far in the future you may have a point. In the now, I still dont see it as the "blu-ray killer" that vurb would like it to be. I think that this format (blu-ray/HD-DVD) will run its course over the years much like DVD will (perhaps it wont have quite that market penetration) then be replaced by something better (which could be this, but no time soon).

So I stand by my statement that I dont see it as competition, and I will add the word NOW.

But it might have a dissappating effect on BD sales. Most people are confused over the format war, and even more confused by even what a BD is. Most J6P have only 720p, and canlive with the upscaler they have. If they start seeing ads from Netflix and such, promising this direct service, they might just hold off on the $300-500 standalone. Frankly, the news I read about Netflix had that effect on me; not because I don't have $300 to waste (that is not an issue for me), but because why start putting effort into a system that I will drop the very day Netflix launches it's service?

We are allowed a 14 day whine period for morning.

I can handle that :up

I dont for once dispute the fact BD wont be the next dvd. But who the heck knows whats gonna happen in the next 5 years. Tech goes in strange directions, we just ride with it.

I for one am not worried about the longetviity of BD, We all know HDDVD has at least a year left in it, BD has much more. So for the meantime, Im gonna enjoy my movies.

If you worried about wasting more money on a BD player, then DONT.

BD doesn't suck its just a Sony format. I have a distaste from previous ventures.

They are almost Identical from conception. and HD-DVD had 51 gig disks toward the end.

No they didn't. According to CES reports, they aren't being demoed, the studios haven't asked for them (funny Warner and New Line can fill a BD50), and there is no manufacturing process to mass produce them.

But it might have a dissappating effect on BD sales. Most people are confused over the format war, and even more confused by even what a BD is. Most J6P have only 720p, and canlive with the upscaler they have. If they start seeing ads from Netflix and such, promising this direct service, they might just hold off on the $300-500 standalone. Frankly, the news I read about Netflix had that effect on me; not because I don't have $300 to waste (that is not an issue for me), but because why start putting effort into a system that I will drop the very day Netflix launches it's service?
Valid viewpoint

Sadly we have that in common.

Impulse buyers anonymous!

Hehe... as much money as I've pissed away on strippers, alcohol, cars, clothes and accessories over the years--the $1k spent on HD-DVD software and players looks a bit less so. I'm less bitter than Friday. (I'm still disappointed in Warner for their bold-faced December lie.)

I am looking forward to sub-$300 profile 2.0 standalones. Those should occur in another six months. If Blu-Ray gets more replication lines, things will look up.

My issue with digital distribution is that the content companies want to charge just as much for them as they do physical. WTF? They aren't paying for shipping, storage or even the physical disc. Nuh-unh... :no

We are allowed a 14 day whine period for morning. Deal with it, this is the war zone. Did you just think we would go away quitely?

Sure, you can whine about HD-DVD all you want - and notice I didn't ask to remove the war zone or change the content, just the title... I just think it's funny that we've already moved on from comparing HD-DVD and BD to each other to grasping at straws for something that will eventually unseat BD.

To me it just seems like sour grapes from someone who doesn't want people who like Blu-Ray to enjoy the Warner announcement.

Sure, you can whine about HD-DVD all you want - and notice I didn't ask to remove the war zone or change the content, just the title... I just think it's funny that we've already moved on from comparing HD-DVD and BD to each other to grasping at straws for something that will eventually unseat BD.

To me it just seems like sour grapes from someone who doesn't want people who like Blu-Ray to enjoy the Warner announcement.
Sure, it is sour grapes. I don't want to see BD unseated. I want all the HDM they can give me.

I don't see this as a BD killer. Far from it!!!!!

what i see would happen if they get it off the ground at resonable prices.

is this..

it would eventualy replace Netflix and Blockbuster.... or you would see Netflix offering this up as a supplament to there current service..

D*tv is going to be 1080p with software up date h 20. More voom what crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yea cause i want to watch 10 channels with the same stuff over and over again!!!!

D*tv is going to be 1080p with software up date h 20. More voom what crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yea cause i want to watch 10 channels with the same stuff over and over again!!!!
Are you still spreading this?

Show proof that D* is going to broadcast at 1080p.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts