The book is here, now feast your eyes.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
The prototype Dish Network System!

34osro4.jpg

Couple of other things from this book.

Primestar was going to go to a high powered digichiper II system in 1995, but never did.

Dish was going to have a satellite at 175 west for the pacific rim.

Directsat, a little know company, combined their DBS licence with echostar in 1994.

Tempo was going to launch two satellites at 119 and 166 west for KU, which primestar had the option of buying.

Dominion video satellite was going to have services at 199 west. Ya, that's really pushing it to the west.

Direct broadcast satellite corp was going to have "niche channels" at 61.5 and 175 west.

Nevada Direct Broadcasting system was going to have a service as well 61.5 and 160 west.

Directv had a package for 5.95 a month, one channel and could order and ppv (with a fee, of course).

Deja vu all over again...

I was always fascinated by satellite technology as I was by Ham, SW, and MW carried over to even now where I have satellite tv and radio and would have satellite internet if it were equal to cable. We had primestar for a about three years before it being incorporated into Direct Tv then when DISH started up I went to them. I remember many articles that it was more of a hobby than it would be a competitive business.

Which is why so many of the players listed all dropped out. The thinking was DirecTV has too much of a head start, and they were signing up so many people so fast. There were investor who were trying to get financing to buy weak performing General Motors just so they could own DirecTV, the ONLY bright sport in the GM universe.

Everybody thought Charlie was "crazy" for staying with his ever changing DBS service launch. I think one pundit predicted Dish [Network] would be out of business in two months and Charlie bankrupt. Even Rupert Murdoch pulled out of his planned acquisition of Echostar because he thought it would NEVER be successful because DirecTV was taking ALL the fruit from the tree. Charlie sued Rupert for violating the contract and won, and got a lot of cash and the Gilbert, AZ facility for Echostar. Now, when did Dish go out of business again. :)

Reactions: navychop and Tampa8
On September 11, many years ago, some idiots crashed two planes into the World Trade Center and one into the Pentagon. Over 3,000 people died and we bitch about tv. And how many Americans have died since, in senseless wars that we had no business being in, while we watched tv safely in our homes.

On September 11, many years ago, some idiots crashed two planes into the World Trade Center and one into the Pentagon. Over 3,000 people died and we bitch about tv. And how many Americans have died since, in senseless wars that we had no business being in, while we watched tv safely in our homes.
With all due respect, what does Sept. 11th 2001 have to do with this thread? I am not discounting your memorial of the event, but it seems as if you are complaining that we are discussing historical events in TVRO/DBS history. A forum such as this is the appropriate place for such a discussion.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: ChadT41
With all due respect, what does Sept. 11th 2001 have to do with this thread? I am not discounting your memorial of the event, but it seems as if you are complaining that we are discussing historical events in TVRO/DBS history. A forum such as this is the appropriate place for such a discussion.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Honestly, this really confused me as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)