The c31 is what they want you to have

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nuttz565

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
colorado
So I have waited for the new promo to start today hoping to get a Hr34 for free (or Genie) as they are calling it. So it is indeed free but I was originally wanting to go with (3) additional H25's. I don't care about DVR's in every room and wanted the additional 3 tuners that I would have got by going with 1-Hr34 and 3H25's. Problem is D is charging $99 apiece for the H25's meanwhile the C31's are free. So now I have some thinking to do as I really dont want to fork over $299 for the H25's but I also dont want to deal with the C31's and the HDCP crap...Choices:)

Yeah it does but after some thinking I couldn't justify the $300 for the h25's. I went ahead and got the Genie and 3 C31's and all for free so can't really complain there! Install is set for tomorrow, I'm wondering how much time the installers have spent with the new c31's or will the Install be much different then if I went with H25's? Also I'm getting one set up in my daughters room and was curious about setting up parental controls. Now if I set up channel locks or any other kind of restrictions will that effect any of the other reviewers or is it just for hers? Thanks guys

The C31 has been in some markets for a month or so. Setup would be the same if it was a H25 or a C31.....just the menu setup is different as they have to tell the C31 to "attach" to the HR34 whereas the H25 is setup and done

Now if I set up channel locks or any other kind of restrictions will that effect any of the other reviewers or is it just for hers?
since in the setup you "name" the clients I'm sure you can set restrictions on just one client and doesnt affect the others

I found an install guide for it and it mentions you can copy the settings across the board or have separate ones

the settings from any Client can also be copied to the HMC HD DVR.
?? Parental Control Settings
?? Favorite Channels
?? Display Settings (the display settings for UI, not for HD DIRECTV)
?? Clock
?? Language
?? Sound Effects

I was also waiting for todays promo and not happy about what I saw on the website this morning. Doesn't make sense that setup was cheaper before.

Ya funny thing if I would have signed up for a hr34 and 3 h25's yesterday it would have been 200$ less. That's what I get for dragging my feet and waiting, although I'm looking forward to seeing how the c31's do. Will report back tomorrow once my install is done.

nuttz565 - why is HDCP such a big deal? Every TV manufactured in the last few years is HDCP-compatible, and if it's not you can always use component connections....

How does the C31 work, I have an HR34 and 1 h25 and 1 R22, I was looking to get 3 more TV's added would that work for me or is there something i need to do? I do not see them on Directv's site

The C31 uses a tuner from the HR34. It does not add onto your SWM channels (in your setup) so right now you are at 8. If you add 3 C31's you're still at 8 channels. If you added 3 H25's you'd have to upgrade your system to a SWM16.
Rumor is if you have WHDVR right now it will also work on your other HD DVR's (the r22) but you need a HR34 (which you already have) so the C31's can see off both DVR's

If you got them all you do is assign them to the HR34 with names (kids room, basement) and they end up "talking" to each other

you'd probably have to call. I just logged into my account and they dont show on there yet
solid signal has them for $99

The C31 uses a tuner from the HR34. It does not add onto your SWM channels (in your setup) so right now you are at 8. If you add 3 C31's you're still at 8 channels. If you added 3 H25's you'd have to upgrade your system to a SWM16.
Rumor is if you have WHDVR right now it will also work on your other HD DVR's (the r22) but you need a HR34 (which you already have) so the C31's can see off both DVR's

If you got them all you do is assign them to the HR34 with names (kids room, basement) and they end up "talking" to each other

Something else, does this actually use up a tuner? Like would it affect my 5 tuners in anyway? Like if I am recording 5 things woulkd that suddenly go down to 4?

DetFan said:
Something else, does this actually use up a tuner? Like would it affect my 5 tuners in anyway? Like if I am recording 5 things woulkd that suddenly go down to 4?

Yes. However if you record something or have a timer it will auto tune one of the 31's to that channel. In a sense, once you start recording after 2 recordings in progress you start losing 31's ever tuner you record from

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)