The CW not with my locals?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

givemetoro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
Okay, I moved in July, was told by two different installers that due to the amount of trees in my backyard I wouldn't be able to keep my Direct TV programming.

I went and bought a signal finder, found a spot, set up a pole and have had strong signal ever since.

BUT I had to "move" because the only local channels I could pick up were from New York (I live in Kansas)

So I've had NY locals the past 6 months, no biggie, I got to watch football and all, but my fiance went to watch The CW the other night and we get the 721 error and tells us to call customer support...

What's that all about? And is it safe to call Custumer Support?

ALSO (Sorry) I bought an HD DVR Receiver for our bedroom and am going to hook it up tomorrow, will I run into any problems activating it since I've "moved"

OK, here goes.

DirecTV carries all local channels, except the 4 major networks in NY and LA on spot beams that can only be received in (or near) the actual local market. Apparently the ones for your market are on one of the side sats, and you can only "see" the main sat.

The four majors (NBC, CBS, Fox, and ABC) from NY and LA and distributed nationally, but only for people who live in "white areas" (places so far from town they cannot get TV with a normal antenna and in one of the 8% of markets where DirecTV does not carry the local stations) and truckers, RVs, boats and other such. Or if you happen to (or claim to) live in the NY or LA metro area. You have claimed to live in NY, and thus get "your" big 4 locals. However all of the other stations in NYC, including the CW, are on a spot beam and you are 1000 miles outside the spot.

However the CW is different. DirecTV also has a CW local for the, actually quite large, area, but its from Washington, DC. It get delivered to those whose local station package does not include a CW station (lots of smaller towns do not have a CW affiliate) and to the others I described above. Since you "live" in NYC, a town that has a CW affiliate, you cannot get the substitue national feed. Customer Service cannot help you.

You might want to consider seeing if you can place another dish somewhere where you could see the other sat, which can be hooked up to make the box think it is hooked up to a proper 3 LNB dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)