SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 1, 2009
houston, tx
We all know the dream FTA receiver should do:
  1. HD DVB-S2 with Hardware blindscan
  2. 4:2:2
  3. AC3 audio
  4. Control both Switch ( diseqC, 22k) and motor( usals, diseqc 1.2)
  5. Manual pid, vid entry
  6. PVR function
  7. Desktop Editor software
Now the magic question is, is there any receiver that comes close? What if we satellite guys present a manufacturer with the above specifications, can they produce a box for us?
We can call it SatGuys HD3000

I am ready to kick start this idea with a pledge of $5000 USD.

Wow. Few people are willing to "put their money where their mouth is". Don't quite know if it will make the difference, but I'm impressed. I presume you're suggesting a profit sharing arrangement or some ROI?

Afraid it isn't quite dreamy enough yet, though. Add Diseqc 1.1, a bunch of additional tuners (OTA, Digicipher, DSS), and a really good MPEG decoder capable of some of the more oddball formats occasionally seen, and I'm sold.

3. AC3 audio
5. Manual pid, vid entry
6. PVR function

Now the magic question is, is there any receiver that comes close?
the closest thing is the azbox. My elite can do everything there but the blind scan. Diseqc 1.2 is touchy at best but USALS works bang on according to folks.

Weren't there supposed to be a few new HD receivers coming to market this year? Vu Duo? Even with the hardware, it would require a vendor committed to the US market and firmware support. its not perfect, but at a price less than 300 USD, the Azbox Ultra is a good option.

3. AC3 audio
  5. Manual pid, vid entry
  6. PVR function
Now the magic question is, is there any receiver that comes close? What if we satellite guys present a manufacturer with the above specifications, can they produce a box for us?
We can call it SatGuys HD3000

I am ready to kick start this idea with a pledge of $5000 USD.

the closest thing is the azbox. My elite can do everything there but the blind scan.

As my TT-3200 and Prof 7500 can also do the same just like AZ (no BS neither)

Premium + still has issues playing high bitrate feeds. The elite never had that issue. Sometimes recording yes but not playing them

3. AC3 audio
  5. Manual pid, vid entry
  6. PVR function
Now the magic question is, is there any receiver that comes close? What if we satellite guys present a manufacturer with the above specifications, can they produce a box for us? We can call it SatGuys HD3000

IMHO MythTV split backend/frontend with a prof 7301 or similar is far superior to most set-tops on the market today. Only exception here being the hardware blindscan which I think is only a matter of time before Linux drivers mature enough to support the capabilities of these newer card.

MythTV architecture allows clean separation of the backend tuners from the frontend players. Hence getting your Cable/OTA/FTA feeds to any room in the house is simply a matter of Ethernet or WLAN connectivity. Of course you have full PVR functionality with storage expansion, commercial flagging, transcoding flexibility etc to your hearts content.

Not surprisingly I recently added a prof 7301 to my MythTV setup and am glad went this route than a dedicated FTA receiver.

If one of the overseas manufacturers could be shown the value and the money to be made, I can't see why they wouldn't jump at the idea. The first one to do it would have the market all to themselves. The parts to make it work, should be available. The software shouldn't be too tough either. We just need to find a company in China that wants to be the first. The language barrier is an issue probably too. Where is Thomas Edison when we need him. No innovation in the good ole USA anymore I guess.....Blind

At this point, I'm just waiting for hardware blind scan to be supported on the newer DVBWorld PCI-e or USB solutions, and I'll be completely sold on using PCs for most HD satellite applications. If you want a stand-alone box, a small PC can be built that would only be used for satellite reception, and custom software could be written to operate the box. Might be the best solution yet (if not the absolute cheapest to design and build)...

Status
Please reply by conversation.