The end is near......FCC approves TP transfer to Dish

Actually I think DISH will be the winner in all of this. After all any sky angel customers who don't have DISH service will still have DISH equipment. Turn the dish a bit and you can get DISH family for $19.99 a month. Cheaper than buying direct tv equipment and their cheapest package is higher. Add glorystar and you would have double the channels sky angel is offering via IPTV and for less $ besides

I firmly believe Skyangel will just be flat out sold to Neulion, or to another third party, and Johnson Jr. will laugh all the way to the bank. If Skyangel is indeed sold, then technically that would void all the "Lifetime Agreements" and no harm can be fall Skyangel, since they will cease to exist.

If that is what happens, I say God be with you and continue to enjoy Glorystar, which will now be in a position to woo some of those channels over to their system now that the cat is finally out of the bag.

Actually I think DISH will be the winner in all of this. After all any sky angel customers who don't have DISH service will still have DISH equipment. Turn the dish a bit and you can get DISH family for $19.99 a month. Cheaper than buying direct tv equipment and their cheapest package is higher. Add glorystar and you would have double the channels sky angel is offering via IPTV and for less $ besides

I doubt it. I am now a complete Verizon Fios customer, something that would likely not have happened had SkyAngel not been headed out. (I am also a "long before lifetime" sub.)

I would easily have upgraded to 722 receivers and gone with Dish, but I went with a cheaper bundled Fios package instead and I am now on the hook for 2 years (3 for my Tivo HD service). Dish lost out there. I was down to "SkyAngel only" for the last year, but I was about ready to go back to the Top 180 level (whatever it is called now). That won't be happening now.

Anyone want to buy two 522 receivers? :) (They will be going on Ebay shortly.)

Brad

Dish Network is going to see a negative effect on their customer base because of this. Not many customers to loose sleep over, but customers who would have gone to Directv years ago but keep Dish because of skyangel!
That was my position for years. Now the chief reason I am still with E* is the 622. With the EHD capability, I may be locked in again. :)

On the other side of the coin, if they don't get this 129W satellite problem fixed soon I may start looking at the D* options a little closer. I don't watch a great deal of TV, but have become quite hooked on HD and the near-HD programs that masquerade as HD. If one of the sat providers offered an HD-only package, I would not hesitate to jump all over it!

Red

We have an ancient Dish receiver that I traded a relative a circa 1999 Direct TV receiver for back around 2003. Our actual dish is from around 1999. Once SkyAngel stops transmission, we are giving the receiver back to the relative we got it from and signing up for Dish Family.

Be warned that you may not be eligible for any "new customer" deals since you are already a Dish customer. :(

Brad

If you ONLY have sky angel are you a "dish customer"?

AS to the old receiver I beleive that will still work to pick up DISH family, BUT I bleieve you need a larger DISH (20" vs old 18) in order to receive all the family channels

If you ONLY have sky angel are you a "dish customer"?

I am fairly sure the answer is yes. We were since we had to pay dish about $18 per month so we could use both our 522 DVRs. It included a 2nd receiver fee and 2 DVR fees. (The "because we can" fees....)

People who only had a single non-DVR receiver would not have a monthly charge, but would still be customers.

Brad

Dish offered me a deal when I signed up for DISH Family if I would sign a contract with them for so many months or years. I turned down the deal because I didn't want the commitment.

Yes, DH is currently a subscriber, but I am not. The Dish $0 due bills come in his name. Also, I put that we are getting Dish Family, but we are leaning more toward one of the other packages.

I find it odd we got our yearly programming survey from Sky Angel today. We got sent the link a while back, but they decided not to allow the survey till today.