The end is near for Windows XP

I have had way more than my fair share of issues with Vista. I have XP installed on my laptops as well. I am having fewer issues though. Either I am getting used to the Vista bugs or have gotten used to figure out the workarounds to the issues.

When the bugs are gone from Vista then MS will have a new system for us to buy / force people into. Try using a Linux operating system they work fine.

The next step of incompatibility will be x64. Memory prices are dropping fast, when systems start coming standard with 4+GB they will have to use Vista x64...

Vista might be short lived compared to XP, but it certainally works far better than Windows ME. Once systems start having 8GB standard all the XP memories will fade away like Windows 98.

Once systems start having 8GB standard all the XP memories will fade away like Windows 98.
I suppose that if you could demonstrate that 8GB of RAM is necessary, you might have a point. For the last ten years, the point of more memory, higher speed and larger hard drives and mondo display adapters has been to give newer versions of Windows functional performance on a par with the older versions.

At some point you have to step back and figure out if our computers are becoming more or less productive with each incarnation of Windows. Clearly, they aren't a whole lot easier to use and the hoops that someone who wants to get down to bare metal computing must jump through are being crushed left and right.

The Apple and Linux communities have the right idea: put shiny interfaces on a fundamentally strong operating system to dumb them down.

Remember XP required (from box) 300 MHZ recommeded 233 required processor, 128MB recommeded 64MB required.

If you put 64MB in an 233MHZ XP machine you will be cursing it like the Vista minimum of 1 GHZ and 1GB.

The main problem with Vista that so many are concerned about is that it has serious privacy issues. Microsoft has a backdoor to your system and can disable or modify components at will. Second, it's infected with a lot of DRM bullsh*t, making it a severe pain in the ass to work with. This is why I moved to Apple. OS X is such a breath of fresh air in comparison to the micromanaged, "you will do things as we tell you to" experience of Vista.

I got a new Sony laptop (2GB) with Vista Business. That lasted about a month before I downgraded to XP. With Vista, the computer took 10 minutes to boot and everything else was extremely sluggish.

According to Sony, I could downgrade, but would lose a lot of functionality with the special buttons and function keys. The 'Notebook Review' web site had a couple of postings about setting up this particular model with all factory functions working. It took a couple of tries, but now the PC is a fairly decently performing laptop running XP.

I don't think Vista will be the success MS was hoping for. Many people will hold out to see if what's next is any improvement.

Had an old eMachines computer, about, oh, 3-4 years old that went belly up. Had XP on it.

While we were between computer my mother-in-law bought us a ULCPC just for email and web-browsing. It had Vista on it.

Finally I myself built a new rig from the ground up, AMD 64-bit Dual Core based, and put XP back on it.

Vista for me is a resource HOG and runs too damn slow for my liking. Plus it's not very user friendly it seems. You can't fix anything yourself or it is VERY DIFFICULT to do so. Granted the computer that had Vista on it wasn't really built to do much and I understand that, but when it can't even run the bare minimum version of Vista even 1/2 way decent... I just didn't like it. Period.

My new rig, I've had up and running for about 2-3 months now, Win XP on it, runs like a champ.

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard, Nvidia Chipset 570SLI
Antec 900 Series ATX tower
Rosewill 600W dual 12V rails PSU
2GB Corsair DDR800 dual-channel RAM (2x 1GB sticks)
AMD Athlon Stepping 3 64X2 5600+ Dual Core Processor runs at about 2.8 GHz

Dual EVGA Nvidia 8600GT 256MB cards in SLI configuration
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM SATA HDD
NEC 3500 Dual Layer DVD Burner
Acer 22" 16x10 LCD monitor

5 3-speed case fans:
1x top mount 200mm exhaust
2x front mount 120mm intake
1x rear mount 120mm exhaust
120mm exhauster on the PSU

Runs nice and cool, usually right around 31-34C.

Until XP up and dies or no longer works at all I won't put Vista on it.

Every single thing being posted here was said in 2001 about XP. Resource hog, not able to upgrade old machines, way too slow, drivers not available for older hardware, buggy, etc, etc.

They will get it sorted out eventually, and we will all live with a new OS that requires twice the machine that ran well on XP.

Anybody ever install Windows 3.1, 95 or NT-4 on a 3GHz P4? You won't believe the speed. Of course, you will need to remove memory and you probably won't be able to access all of your disk. Intel giveth and Microsoft taketh away.

Every single thing being posted here was said in 2001 about XP. Resource hog, not able to upgrade old machines, way too slow, drivers not available for older hardware, buggy, etc, etc.

They will get it sorted out eventually, and we will all live with a new OS that requires twice the machine that ran well on XP.

Anybody ever install Windows 3.1, 95 or NT-4 on a 3GHz P4? You won't believe the speed. Of course, you will need to remove memory and you probably won't be able to access all of your disk. Intel giveth and Microsoft taketh away.

While I agree with this, I think it sucks that MS uses their entire customer base to beta test their OS's. Let's face it, every version of a new OS that MS has released since Win95 has been dumped on an unsuspecting public. MS then sees what works and what doesn't, and about a year later releases a SP to fix these issues.

This is why I will never use a MS OS until it is on it's second or later SP upgrade.

I got a new Sony laptop (2GB) with Vista Business. That lasted about a month before I downgraded to XP. With Vista, the computer took 10 minutes to boot and everything else was extremely sluggish.

According to Sony, I could downgrade, but would lose a lot of functionality with the special buttons and function keys. The 'Notebook Review' web site had a couple of postings about setting up this particular model with all factory functions working. It took a couple of tries, but now the PC is a fairly decently performing laptop running XP.

I don't think Vista will be the success MS was hoping for. Many people will hold out to see if what's next is any improvement.

Sounds like some other issues with the hardware... I have a similar setup for my wife heck her specs are less than what was listed here and I had no issues. Overall there are many folks making more out of this than needs to be due to Vista is fine. It all depends on the machine what has been done to it as the person using the machine. I just loaded SP1 for Vista on my 6th machine without any issues prior or after the install. In most cases it's user error not saying thats the case here but most time things dont work due to another factors besides the OS.... This is nothing new its always been this way due to its software and software in most cases is always the thing that causes most of the problems. Not just talking OS mainly 3r party like programs or programs that are not compliant yet with the OS and thats with any OS.. :)

This is nothing new its always been this way due to its software and software in most cases is always the thing that causes most of the problems. Not just talking OS mainly 3r party like programs or programs that are not compliant yet with the OS and thats with any OS.. :)

Please explain Windows ME, if you do not mind.

Please explain Windows ME, if you do not mind.

Windows ME to me was just another version of 98 kind of like Windows XP Media Center is just another version of XP is all.. Their both same OS ME is like 98 Media Center is still XP just different look and some different features plus and minus some from XP Home and Pro. Same for ME from 98 and 95.. Vista same thing just different versions is all with minus and plus certain features between them. :)

This is nothing new its always been this way due to its software and software in most cases is always the thing that causes most of the problems. Not just talking OS mainly 3r party like programs or programs that are not compliant yet with the OS and thats with any OS.. :)

I have to agree here fully. I have Vista on my HP tablet, HP workstation, Dell Optiplexes etc... they all have fully supported Vista drivers, 32 and 64 bit (two of the machines are running 64bit). I use it at work, home and on the road and have fallen in love with the system, especially on the Tablet PC where its intelligence is amazing. Things like WiFi connections are so simple now, i pull the tablet from the dock (wired) and it switches over to wifi or even cellular seamlessly, all under OS control.

My home PC is ultimate and is used by myself and both kids, it has the full parental control setup on it, its stable and easy to use. Even my SummaSketch III tablet which uses serial works on it, amazed me when it did.

I have to say its been one of the better new OS's that MS has come out with for the consumer, though yes it is a massive difference from the interface to how it does things below (and you can get into teh guys just like previous OS's). Sure its not OSX and i cant open up a shell and dive into the underlying unix but its as close as MS ever got :)

Yes I do work in this field for a living and have done for a very long time, so i do know more then most, but overall the systems have been rock steady and easy to run (especially the desktops). Issues i have had have all been with weird hardware or software, hence why my machines are all brand name.

-Jonathan

Vista is a dog. Not just my opinion. Google it. Or just go read a few articles over at InfoWorld.

It is NOT the same as when XP first came out. Many (most?) features Vista was to have were dropped in order to just get it out the door. It's still using the 2003 code base, when it was expected to start clean sheet. It's mostly a "pretty" interface and an annoyance, full of unnecessary annoyances. And there are serious questions about it's security.

It is so bad, and has engendered so much resistance, XP may stick around for regular PCs, not just the minimalist ultra cheap machines.

Also see this and this (by Gartner). There are many more articles. The Microsoft bloatware, both Vista and Office 2007, are meeting a lot of resistance from corporations and individuals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)