The end of SD service on DIRECTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's the radio inside..check the model number of the phone
They are unlocked..just won't work
Verizon uses cdma..att gsm..you need a global phone that does both
http://www.cnet.com/news/switching-carriers-you-may-be-able-to-take-your-iphone-5s-with-you/
You are just incorrect. My iPhone 6 bought from Verizon has been on ATT, T-Mobile, and spring with no issue. You're statement is only true on much older iPhone.
I wont dispute that. I am saying the Verizon Iphone has the required hardware built in. It is usable on ATT frequencies. They are not blocked on the iphone 5 up to the current 6s models.

I was under the impression that you were saying that it would not.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

You are just incorrect. My iPhone 6 bought from Verizon has been on ATT, T-Mobile, and spring with no issue. You're statement is only true on much older iPhone.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
you have to go in your phone..under settings and get the model number..it will tell you if its a global phoneif it is you are good..I was talking iphones in general..but yes anything above a 5s should work in theory..all depend who you talk to and what they want to sell you

Short answer, yes (assuming you have LTE coverage in your area by T-Mobile). But you should get the iPhone 5s from Verizon instead of getting it from T-Mobile. Also, carrier unlocking has nothing to do with 3G or LTE.

Long answer follows below.

The iPhone 5s models A1533 (GSM) and A1533 (CDMA) support the LTE bands that both Verizon and T-Mobile use.

If you look at the technical specifications for these two iPhone 5s models (A1533 GSM and A1533 CDMA), you'd notice that:

• The LTE band coverage is the same across these two models
  • The GSM model supports only GSM (so you cannot switch to Verizon even if you want to, since Verizon is a CDMA carrier)
    [Model A1533 (GSM): UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)]

• The CDMA model supports both CDMA and GSM
    [Model A1533 (CDMA): CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)]
So you would be better off going for the iPhone 5s CDMA [Model A1533 (CDMA)] on Verizon and then move to T-Mobile.

Also see: The Verizon iPhone 5s comes unlocked just like the Verizon iPhone 5

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/104166/can-a-verizon-iphone-5s-use-t-mobile-lte

Lots of technical jabbering and plenty of links to try and make your incorrect conclusion correct.

If you buy an iPhone from Verizion (at least since the 6), it is just like buying the phone unlocked from Apple directly. It WILL work with all carriers on both CDMA and GSM though some may be missing band 12 that T-Mobile started using.

You can go buy your iPhone from anywhere you want to, but the Verizon store is nice and close and if I were to buy another one, I would get it there. And I would know that it will work with all carriers just fine.

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

I said the 5 will as well, but best I remember you wont get lte. You will get hspa+ though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, folks. I didn't mean to get everyone off on a tangent.

In the case that I would switch (which is only theoretical right now), it would be to T-Mobile; I've been around telecom enough to know that TMUS and T share similar frequencies.

Also, I have no incentive to switch to VZ anyway -- I'd simply stay with T to begin with.

Thanks for the postings, though :)

Hey, folks. I didn't mean to get everyone off on a tangent.

In the case that I would switch (which is only theoretical right now), it would be to T-Mobile; I've been around telecom enough to know that TMUS and T share similar frequencies.

Also, I have no incentive to switch to VZ anyway -- I'd simply stay with T to begin with.

Thanks for the postings, though :)
I apologize..my fault

Getting back to the subject matter of this thread---I hope that the rumor of D dropping the SD channels is not true. If it is, there goes my solution to continue viewing when rain fade kicks in. NOT GOOD!!

Getting back to the subject matter of this thread---I hope that the rumor of D dropping the SD channels is not true. If it is, there goes my solution to continue viewing when rain fade kicks in. NOT GOOD!!
Unsupported conjecture is that a large portion of 101 KU bandwidth may go to Regular HD CONUS programming and thus Rain Fade for all will be improved.
KU Not Likely to "Go Away". KU is not synonymous with SD. It's the KU frequency that is less affected by rain not SD. HD resent on KU will be more rain resistant than KA.

Doctor j

Unsupported conjecture is that a large portion of 101 KU bandwidth may go to Regular HD CONUS programming and thus Rain Fade for all will be improved.
KU Not Likely to "Go Away". KU is not synonymous with SD. It's the KU frequency that is less affected by rain not SD. HD resent on KU will be more rain resistant than KA.

Doctor j
This would be the smart way to go about it seeing all the room you would have on the 101 if SD was removed.

I just installed an Intellian I2 in motion Satellite Dish on my boat. I have DirecTV at home and used a D12 receiver on my boat with a Phase III Dish (Mounted on my Dock) for several years.

The Intellian I2 is a 13 CM Dish so it is NOT capable of receiving Multiple Orbit slots at the same time or KA Band. I hope this means DirecTV will migrate all 101,119 and 110 transponders to MPEG4 so DirecTV can continue KU band with most channels or the most popular channels being in HD for RV/Boat users.

Last edited:
I just installed an Intellian I2 in motion Satellite Dish on my boat. I have DirecTV at home and used a D12 receiver on my boat with a Phase III Dish (Mounted on my Dock) for several years.

The Intellian I2 is a 13 CM Dish so it is NOT capable of receiving Multiple Orbit slots at the same time or KA Band. I hope this means DirecTV will migrate all 101,119 and 110 transponders to MPEG4 so DirecTV can continue KU band with most channels or the most popular channels being in HD for RV/Boat users.
As far as I know they haven't used the 110 in quite some time.

The Controller for the Intellian I2 is setup to use either 119 or 101. The I2 has two Outputs, Output #1 is Master Output so if the receiver connected to Output #1 needs the 119 orbital slot then if a receiver is connected to Output #2 it will only be able to receive 119. Once Receiver #1 needs 101 then Output #2 will only be able to receive 101.

John

The Controller for the Intellian I2 is setup to use either 119 or 101. The I2 has two Outputs, Output #1 is Master Output so if the receiver connected to Output #1 needs the 119 orbital slot then if a receiver is connected to Output #2 it will only be able to receive 119. Once Receiver #1 needs 101 then Output #2 will only be able to receive 101.

John
That's the way most of those are set up, 101 and 119 if needed.
I've never seen one that picks up the 110 though.

According to the transponder maps over at DBSTalk they're still showing that DIRECTV5 at 110 is still being used, but for providing HD channels to Puerto Rico.

I haven't seen any announcement from DIRECTV on this so not sure with Stuart is getting this info.

There is no such thing as a Standard Definition Satellite. A satellite just bounces the signals that are sent to it, and those signals can be SD, HD 4K etc... so not sure where the bird with SD will run out of fuel in 2019 comes from either.
Actually I have seen a chart that shows a few of the older currently used satellites to be near the end of their projected life between. 2018-2020

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

And in fact Here it is.
8542de0490e0693dd7518b6785b18e77.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

According to the transponder maps over at DBSTalk they're still showing that DIRECTV5 at 110 is still being used, but for providing HD channels to Puerto Rico.
Oh, thats good, I didn't know that.
So they have nothing on the 110 going to the Continental US.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)