The end of SD service on DIRECTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
"Stopped adding SD capacity?"

Huh? The satellites are bent pipes. They don't distinguish between SD and HD.

Would that land be just off the south end of Key West?
;)

Does this mean they will stop charging for HD then?
I would suggest (based only on my own opinion) that when AT&T rolls out their streaming services in Q4, they may either "roll up" HD into pricing and/or somehow change (up) pricing for HD instead of insisting it's paid as a separate line item.

I'm reading that T-Mobile is really eating into AT&T and Verizon regarding how T-Mobile prices out their number ports and with what's available in terms of unlimited forms of content and non-data caps. This leads me to seriously think about getting our iPhone 7 devices (or whatever they'll be called) directly from Apple, consider porting the 7's to T-Mobile and then letting the kids have our current phones on the same network. Given how T-Mobile operates, we could save a ton of cash with this concept.

Then again, since T-Mobile is making their moves, I believe that's why AT&T went ahead and announced their Q4 streaming services (uncannily similar in nature) which happens to coincide with when Apple will be releasing their next iPhone device.

All of this plays into HD because everything that I've just stated is going to make for a very compelling situation for consumers come end of 2016 as far as how and what we will consume.

So glad that our family will be out of all of our contracts by then!

I'm just curious where the press announcement stating Directv is ending SD in 2019? The SS blog just states that the last bird with SD will run out of fuel in 2019.

I haven't seen any announcement from DIRECTV on this so not sure with Stuart is getting this info.

There is no such thing as a Standard Definition Satellite. A satellite just bounces the signals that are sent to it, and those signals can be SD, HD 4K etc... so not sure where the bird with SD will run out of fuel in 2019 comes from either.

I haven't seen any announcement from DIRECTV on this so not sure with Stuart is getting this info.

There is no such thing as a Standard Definition Satellite. A satellite just bounces the signals that are sent to it, and those signals can be SD, HD 4K etc... so not sure where the bird with SD will run out of fuel in 2019 comes from either.

Ok, thanks Scott. I'll just presume that this is perhaps an internal target date that Directv is shooting for in getting rid of SD channels?

I would suggest (based only on my own opinion) that when AT&T rolls out their streaming services in Q4, they may either "roll up" HD into pricing and/or somehow change (up) pricing for HD instead of insisting it's paid as a separate line item.

I'm reading that T-Mobile is really eating into AT&T and Verizon regarding how T-Mobile prices out their number ports and with what's available in terms of unlimited forms of content and non-data caps. This leads me to seriously think about getting our iPhone 7 devices (or whatever they'll be called) directly from Apple, consider porting the 7's to T-Mobile and then letting the kids have our current phones on the same network. Given how T-Mobile operates, we could save a ton of cash with this concept.

Then again, since T-Mobile is making their moves, I believe that's why AT&T went ahead and announced their Q4 streaming services (uncannily similar in nature) which happens to coincide with when Apple will be releasing their next iPhone device.

All of this plays into HD because everything that I've just stated is going to make for a very compelling situation for consumers come end of 2016 as far as how and what we will consume.

So glad that our family will be out of all of our contracts by then!
Not sure you know this..but if u get a Verizon iPhone it only has verizon cellular frequencies built into it..same with att.(some are blocked on purpose)..you need to make sure you have a global iPhone that should work on all frequencies

Not sure you know this..but if u get a Verizon iPhone it only has verizon cellular frequencies built into it..same with att.(some are blocked on purpose)..you need to make sure you have a global iPhone that should work on all frequencies
Uh, iPhones bought from Verizon since the iPhone 6 are unlocked and carrier unlocked. It was a requirement that Verizon had to agree to when they got their extra spectrum.

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

Uh, iPhones bought from Verizon since the iPhone 6 are unlocked and carrier unlocked. It was a requirement that Verizon had to agree to when they got their extra spectrum.

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk
It's the radio inside..check the model number of the phone
They are unlocked..just won't work
Verizon uses cdma..att gsm..you need a global phone that does both
http://www.cnet.com/news/switching-carriers-you-may-be-able-to-take-your-iphone-5s-with-you/

It's the radio inside..check the model number of the phone
They are unlocked..just won't work
Verizon uses cdma..att gsm..you need a global phone that does both
http://www.cnet.com/news/switching-carriers-you-may-be-able-to-take-your-iphone-5s-with-you/
Untrue. I use a verizon iphone 6 with straightalk on the AT&T network. They are in fact unlocked and usable on the att/tmobile gsm/lte networks. They have both radio technologies built in, are unlocked and will work without issue.

In fact nearly every verizon phone I have had in the past couple of years is capable of this.

Untrue. I use a verizon iphone 6 with straightalk on the AT&T network. They are in fact unlocked and usable on GSM. In fact, most verizon phones I have had of late are capable of this.
The phone has to be global..that's the catch..and the frequencies have to match..global meaning it does cdma and gsm

The phone has to be global..that's the catch..and the frequencies have to match..global meaning it does cdma and gsm
I wont dispute that. I am saying the Verizon Iphone has the required hardware built in. It is usable on ATT frequencies. They are not blocked on the iphone 5 up to the current 6s models.

I was under the impression that you were saying that it would not.

Back in the "old days" no, you could not activate a verizon phone on the att network and vice versa.

I wont dispute that. I am saying the Verizon Iphone has the required hardware built in. It is usable on ATT frequencies. They are not blocked on the iphone 5 up to the current 6s models.

I was under the impression that you were saying that it would not.
The funky stuff happens with sprint and tmobile

The funky stuff happens with sprint and tmobile

Sprint I am not sure of. Tmobile will work as well as AT&T with a verizon iphone however. I have tried that as well with no issues. Their coverage here is just non existent or I might give them a try for both my phones.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)