The end of the PC era?

"Apple ecosystem". "Apple ecosystem". "Apple ecosystem"

Pepto-Bismal ?

Sent from an "Apple ecosystem" iPad. :D

To the newest fanboy:

I hope a bird craps on your ipad, while you are sitting outside in that Florida sun. :D

Then again, there is probably an app for that.

Can we leave the "Apple uber alles!" sh*t out of this thread?

Please?

Diogen.

One of the things that makes the cloud not so good is that it needs broadband to make it effective. What is the current population percentage that doesn't have that available? Other things really not suitable for the cloud are video and audio editing.

Just looking through the new Consumer reports they list:

16 million households have had virus problems in the last 2 years, with 1.8 million just replacing their PCs because they were virus ridden. There are a lot of people that need help.

8 Million households had spyware with 617,000 giving up and buying new PCs because of it.

Again back to my earlier point, a huge market of people that just need what an iPad (or similar device) can give them and not have to keep up with a PC.

I have a ton of respect for apple as a company. They inspire fierce brand loyalty. They charge top prices for their products and then they attempt to force you to buy every addition to their devices from them. It is a brilliant business model. The apple products I've used were nifty and I'd love to own a few.

The virus thing is a sticky point for me because I know a mac fan who is barely out of diapers who constantly rubs my nose in the fact that macs are virus free. It makes me wonder though. Are most apple products running antivirus and antimalware software? If most aren't then how do people know that they are uninfected?

16 million households have had virus problems in the last 2 years, with 1.8 million just replacing their PCs because they were virus ridden.

8 Million households had spyware with 617,000 giving up and buying new PCs because of it.
My guess would be these people would not miss anything by moving to tablet-like computing.
Also, this is probably the number of people that do nothing but e-mail and some browsing.
If they did more, they'd know that a virus/trojan can kill an OS install, not a PC...

Diogen.

It makes me wonder though. Are most apple products running antivirus and antimalware software? If most aren't then how do people know that they are uninfected?

Most don't run any at all. I install and run nor of the freebies occasionally, but it never finds anything, so I uninstall it after the run.

My guess would be these people would not miss anything by moving to tablet-like computing.
Also, this is probably the number of people that do nothing but e-mail and some browsing.
If they did more, they'd know that a virus/trojan can kill an OS install, not a PC...

Diogen.

They would be a good target for the touchpad device. I'm very curious as to the next batch of new touch devices to come out. The touch screen has always been better in niche markets than in the broad pc market.

I think it would be a safe bet that the number of "PC-like" devices will increase many-fold in the coming years.
The whole spectrum of devices from under 3" handhelds to Atom-run GoogleTV would qualify since all of them can perform probably 2/3 to 3/4 of what we today consider a computer task.

Diogen.

This has nothing to do with macs. All could easily be applied to any device.

You are using the cloud all the time. All the activities you mentioned are internet activitie:

1. Google maps - you are using Googles storage and servers you just are a display device. You do not have satellite maps downloaded to your device for this, it is all in the google cloud.

2. Banking - the bank's database is not downloaded to your pc, you are again just the display device

3. Online shopping - again just the display.

In fact not one activity you mentioned uses your PC for more than a display.

The thing that makes the iPad world (but it could be android or other world) is that the apps are prescreened and hopefully work as promised. The model is small (hopefully cheap) add ons to your device. They basically work.

It will be quite a while before everything you can do on a PC can be done on one of these devices. But, this is the turning point. Right now it is at the 80/20 rule point. 80% of PC users could probably use one of these devices and never miss their PC. This is why these products are coming to market now, it is finally at the point that they are useable.

As far as the cult of Apple point, Steve Jobs appears to have once again seen the correct time to enter a market. It is not like any of the technology is new or revolutionary like the Apple hype would have you believe, it is just the time where internet connections, hardware technology, and component prices are at the right stage for the market to be successful.

And you trust all of your information, all of your records, that if breached could cost you years of bad credit, bankrupty, etc, on a pc everyone uses?

Good luck being homeless.

Going to the mailbox and going to bars usually requires me to put on pants.

And using a pc instead of a potentially dangerous cloud would require that you know something too.

This generation sucks. People expect to be handed things on a silver platter. I honestly feel like I'm talking to tousands of homeless people in the next 20 years.

Here's a few simple facts:

Your data, your financial data is usually stored in strongboxes IRL, and in protected https servers, that require the password or hacking.

A cloud server would allow more user access, and would be alot easier to spy on what others are doing.

Lets also go inot a few more realistic details to shatter this dream:

Let's give two pc. One who has everything on their pc, and one who has everything on the cloud.

The owner of the company that houses your software goes bankrupt. What happens?

On a pc, you can continue using your current software. On the cloud, you can't connect to the internet anymore. And now your vital records are being sold off to the highest bidder because the company went bankrupt. Does this sound like a good idea?

Even if the company went bankrupt, they could cut corners if times get tight. You could find you suddenyl can't use certain software, your amount of space gets cut, etc.

Does this sound like a good idea?

If so, want to buy a bridge?

Last edited:
And you trust all of your information, all of your records, that if breached could cost you years of bad credit, bankrupty, etc, on a pc everyone uses?

Good luck being homeless.

It is not a PC everyone uses. An iPad, or similar device, is something you own that is not a PC that you use to access the internet. I would not walk into a computer cafe or library and access my bank records over a public PC. When I connect to a public wifi I use a VPN to encrypt all my communications.

If spyware gets on your PC, guess what? Someone in Russia or China probably gets all your passwords that you use to connect to your bank, email, all your information... At least users of the iPad are safe if they do not jail break since all the apps that are installed are prescreened by Apple.

It is not a PC everyone uses. An iPad, or similar device, is something you own that is not a PC that you use to access the internet. I would not walk into a computer cafe or library and access my bank records over a public PC. When I connect to a public wifi I use a VPN to encrypt all my communications.

If spyware gets on your PC, guess what? Someone in Russia or China probably gets all your passwords that you use to connect to your bank, email, all your information... At least users of the iPad are safe if they do not jail break since all the apps that are installed are prescreened by Apple.

Do you even know what cloud computing is? Your software and os is stored on the internet in some server. Everything you do is done from some server instead of your pc.

And LOl at users being safe because apps are prescreened by Apple. The iphone has had malware, and you aren't safe just because Steve Jobs is looking over you.

Here's a few simple facts:

Your data, your financial data is usually stored in strongboxes IRL, and in protected https servers, that require the password or hacking.

A cloud server would allow more user access, and would be alot easier to spy on what others are doing.

Lets also go inot a few more realistic details to shatter this dream:

Let's give two pc. One who has everything on their pc, and one who has everything on the cloud.

The owner of the company that houses your software goes bankrupt. What happens?

On a pc, you can continue using your current software. On the cloud, you can't connect to the internet anymore. And now your vital records are being sold off to the highest bidder because the company went bankrupt. Does this sound like a good idea?

Even if the company went bankrupt, they could cut corners if times get tight. You could find you suddenyl can't use certain software, your amount of space gets cut, etc.

Does this sound like a good idea?

If so, want to buy a bridge?

You are living in a dream world. Your bank has all your records and guess what banks get hacked. Employees at the bank can get into your records. You just have to hope they are caught before you are compromised. Oops someone in charge of security turns out to be selling the information... Oh wait, they probably have a paper copy too somewhere in a warehouse...

You go to the doctor? Guess what? They have more info on you, they have your SSN, all your address and personal information. They probably have it in a paper file sitting there that can be accessed without any trace... Ooops the janitor is taking pictures of files with his camera phone, have your name, birthday, address and SSN all sitting there...

Did you use a tax preparer? Did you file online using PC software? Better hope no one ever hacks those systems.

If you are worried about the company providing your stuff going bankrupt, sub from a reputable company. One can probably guess Apple, Google or Microsoft will be around a while. Or at least you will see well in advance if they are having trouble to move your stuff.

The only safe thing is to have your own computer with strong encryption on the entire disk and keep it in a copper lined room, not connected to the outside world. Better have a couple marines posted outside. This is about the only way the US government really knows to keep it truely secure.

Do you even know what cloud computing is? Your software and os is stored on the internet in some server. Everything you do is done from some server instead of your pc.

And LOl at users being safe because apps are prescreened by Apple. The iphone has had malware, and you aren't safe just because Steve Jobs is looking over you.

The jail broken iphones have had malware. Yes, they get it because the jail broken ones have a default root password that people do not know to change and they can download anything that they want.

Do you know how much cloud computing you are doing every day by accessing the internet? You do a search. You use databases on computers around the world to search through, you use compute power on Google's network to shift through the results for you.

Again the point of the topic of this thread is that the average PC user would be able to get everything they use their PC for on the internet, using a device like the iPad. This is not everyone, and yes there are lots of issues and concerns with various aspects like data security. A large number of people I know would never miss their PC, and in fact be happier without a maintenance headache.

I think properly VPN-ed communication between two points is a good and acceptable security/simplicity tradeoff.

But I don't like at all having all my stuff in one place.

Google has (most of) my e-mails and calendar. That's all they are ever gona get.
I'd consider moving some of my documents to another cloud supplier. But never media files.

Bottom line, I'll always need PCs. But will use the cloud - locally or globally - as it becomes trustworthy...

Diogen.

security issues with cloud computing - Bing=

9,750,000 results.

Gartner: Seven cloud-computing security risks | Security Central - InfoWorld

7. Long-term viability. Ideally, your cloud computing provider will never go broke or get acquired and swallowed up by a larger company. But you must be sure your data will remain available even after such an event. "Ask potential providers how you would get your data back and if it would be in a format that you could import into a replacement application," Gartner says.

Twitter breach revives security issues with cloud computing - Computerworld_

Are security issues delaying adoption of cloud computing?

You are the only one living a dream world. My argument above is only the number one argument against cloud computing.

Once again, do you even know anything about networking? Because that's my profession. Having things stored on secure networks, while hackable, is quite a bit different from having something stored on a cloud machine with elevated user privalges.