The End of VOOM?

The irony of all this is that today I watched more Voom than I have in the past 10 months and I saw almost ZERO skeeter noise. Wouldn't you know it, the day I decide to keep Voom and the PQ is better, they go under. Oh well, I still have my Dish HD Pack.

I had the 3 room install done a month ago. Don't watch much VOOM on the two boxes in the bedrooms...think I'll be disconnecting those this morning ;)

Like a lot of other folks, this is the only sat I've got a clean shot at...so D & E aren't alternatives for me. Have to see what happens with this bird. But in the mean time, no kill sig on two of my boxes ;) ;) ;)

Lob

1080iBeVuMin said:
I felt compelled to cross-post my reaction to all of this:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=285310#post285310

After the dust settles I am going to write Dolan sr and thank him for the noble experiment. :bow

And unless Voom (or something like it) comes back to life, this IS my final post in this forum.

Best wishes to all. :wave
I'll miss a great many of you. I just wish y'all would stick around until they turn off the lights. GEEZ! I just had a scary thought...they can't force us to become E* subscribers, can they?

May james Dolan rot in hell

I wish James Dolan and rest of Cablevision board rot in hell. Eat the $200 million, that is what this whole world has come to. MONEY MONEY MONEY. His father Charles Sr will go to his grave without seeing his dream of voom come to fruition. Voom got raped by the ugly Echostar. What doesn't make sense to me is getting $200 million, but paying $100 million penalty to Lockheed MArtin, for a net gain of $100 million. The board killed voom the future of HD for a lousy $100 million. Where is Bill Gates, Mark Cuban, shame on all of them HD was dealt a harsh blow today on this inaugaration day for Bush, and our death day

I am so sad, it is like a death in the family. I have never been so sad in my life as i am today. I always look foreward to coming home and watching voom in all its hd glory.

I hope this is all a nightmare, and a new news storry will change the flow of events. I love voom , it has enriched by life, and made me a lover of hometheatre. I got 7.1 sound system, $1500 amplifier, sony es 5000 just to listen to the rich voom sound.

Thank you Charles for trying , and hope voom will come back in a year or two in a new form. It is a really sad day for HD. May voom live forever in our memories. Voom rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have decided to keep Voom until they shut off service. Will probobly go with dish as I like the sirius music channels. Charter HD here in CT sucks. Hopefully we can get a few more months out of this until the weather warms up and we don't watch as much tv. I figure with Dish I can get a buggy receiver and feel like I am home. Does anyone know if Dish receivers only get ota digital also or do they get both digital and analog? Enjoyed the ride while it lasted and want to thank Sean and Scott for doing such a great job.

Has anyone thought about why Echo Purchased 61.5 transponders?. Most dish Sub's can't use that bird. so why. and What about AMC6 the other Voom Bird?. maybe it's not over . would be and easy upgrade for voom to move to AMC6. any input on this

I give. Called D* last night after seeing the news. 2-811 rcvrs, 1-921 HDDVR to be installed Monday. $49 (rebated on first bill). Sorry to Voom go.

Why Echostar announce sale

Not to add to the conspiracy, but why would Echostar announce purchase, why would not Cablevision announce sale to pacify investors and pundits, since they are the ones under scrutiny.

Wait till the fat lady sings, Charles dolan. I don't think this one is over yet.
I hope dearly, tomorrow will sing a different story. Let this plot thicken

One thing that has not been mentioned here is that Chuck D obviously knew that e* was already offering to purchase Rainbow1 when he released his memo. Just because e* has made a bid, there is certainly nothing that would prevent Chuck and/or a group of investors from making a counter offer. While not likely, it is possible that Chuck could make an offer for all of RDBS assets for $250MM let's say, that would trump e*'s offer. The board would be compelled to accept it as it would raise more revenue and unload another non-performing asset for which they are still seeking strategic alternatives.

The question is does Chuck believe strongly enough in Voom to put his own $$$ on the line to fund the continuing operating losses until he is able to turn things around? If so, it would make sense that he would mention that members of the Dolan family as potential bidders. More likely, it was an emotional statement written by a man that was just sold out by his oldest son and who is not quite yet ready to admit defeat.

doug, what kind of deal did they give you on programming? Also, as for the HD DVR, what kind is it and will you own it or lease it? I am a former dtv customer and am considering going back, but I'm not sure how to go about getting the best deal. I wonder if they offer any kind of incentives to get old customers back.

If anyone can offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it. My choices are dtv or dish. I want an HD DVR/tivo/whatever works... and at least a half decent selection of HD channels. A 49.00 install and two room deal would work out just fine for me.

I am former DTV also. Several deals with Dish now. I got 180+ channels w/sirius, all movie channels for $90/mo I think. Up to 4 rooms for $49, but no more than 2 HD stb's with that deal. The 921 is a STB/HDDVR and it was $550.00. To get all the channels, you get the "dish500 dish that can pick up two satellites simultaneously. The deal I didn't go for was a 921 AND a 34" DTV monitor for $999 (don't know what brand of TV though. I called last night to Dish directly, not a retailer, and the install in Monday. Pretty quick if you ask me. Hoping Voom lets me keep the OTA antenna ( the large Winegard w/amplifier) Amyone know what Voom will do to subs backing out of the 6 month agreement?

To kind of get back on topic here or gain some info. I really think the barometer of if or how long Voom is going to be here is this. The install appointments are the key. Once Voom tells Installs Inc. to stop and cancel new installs then the fate has been cast in stone. But....If Voom continues to take new installs and new customer sign up I would take this as a huge sign that Voom is in fact dodging the bullet.

Why would Voom incur more expense by signing up more customers on the $1 deal? They will NEVER recoup a fraction of the cost outlay for equipment and manpower for the new sub.

With that said, our link to the answer is the technician in the field who does this for a living like TYORK here on the forum. She has started a thread with this in mind and will keep us posted.

doug2888 said:
Amyone know what Voom will do to subs backing out of the 6 month agreement?
They should just make you pay the full penalty. As far as I know they haven't stopped the service. At least, my box is still working :)

Echostar to buy VOOM assets -WSJ

Interesting story this morning at Wall Street Journal. CVC stock is up on the news that they are ridding themselves of it.
My choice awhile back to go to Comcast has been going well as they started offering a two tuner HD DVR in my area. Still miss all the VOOM HD content though.

In other important news today, FCC chair Powell announced he is resigning.

GADS!!! I have had VOOM for two weeks and I am ADDICTED! Shiznit.

Well, couple things I noted. One news article stated that Voom would continue to provide content during the transition. That is good. The other is that the VOOM News system has been updated and the HD Giveaway from VOOM has been extend further/thru 2005. They also state they are giving away free 1 year HD programming packages in the contest.

I will leave my VOOM box connected until it starts to decompose. I just got to have the PQ. PLEASE SAY IT AINT GONNA DIE!!!!

With all this going on, should I even continue paying my voom bills? Seriously, I'd hate to pay a month in advance only to have the system get shut down the next day.