Status
Please reply by conversation.

DiscoLoveGrapes

Zero Transponder Founded
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 14, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
My package from Sadoun came in from FedEx today - 31" Dish & LNBF, Motor, and Free Satellite Finder kit.

After the Instruction and Installation shock wears off (That's a lot of nuts and bolts to sift through!), I'll be starting the fun process of getting everything together and up on the roof. Thankfully, all the instructions appear to be in English -- literally and figuratively.

Before I forget, big thanks to the people who have been answering questions for me so far -- and thanks to the others who have asked questions so I can go look up responses :)

And, I'll also give Sadoun a big thumbs up. Everything came as promised, neatly packaged, and I got in with the 5% discount under the wire. You guys are great!

Update and more questions:

The dish and the works are mounted. That's good news, the bad news it that I was unable to find anything out there, yet. There are probably many good reasons for that, the largest being that I've got a motor on, and I'm not certain that's the best way to start.

Would it be better if I took the motor off, and attempted to zero in on something (Ia 6 being the most likely), THEN attempt the motor after some success?

I sat on the roof this evening with a SF10s signal meter sqealing away, causing neighbors and walkers to sit up an take notice. I'm afraid I'm driving the local dog community to an early grave....I hope I get something located soon than later.

DiscoLoveGrapes said:
Update and more questions:

Would it be better if I took the motor off, and attempted to zero in on something (Ia 6 being the most likely), THEN attempt the motor after some success?

That is usually the best thing to do when you are having problems. Keep it simple. :)

(partial) Success!!!!!

I took off the motor, and had a few friends up on the roof while I fiddled with the specifics. After watching the signal meter bounce around awhile, I fine-tuned it, and went back to the house.

The bad news was that, instead of IA 6 like I thought I had, I'm 99% I'm parked on G11. It's about a 3 degree difference, so I'm not suprised. I mostly picked up feeds (since my friends had never really seen this stuff before, they were fascinated), and something labeled FETN (which Lyngsat has scrambled, but it fits with the TP and bird). Still, I got a 80% signal and 80% quality on some of the channels, so I must have done something right.

Again, thanks for the encouragement. There's something about getting it right, and getting it done on your own that makes even ABSAT info cards worth watching.

I think it took me about 4 days of goofing around to get something to work. Knew nothing of lnb's, what H and V meant etc.. etc... I bought a system with a fixed dish, so after awhile I could tell you where every satellite was from my viewpoint. I think experimenting is great, keep it up, then you will know your system inside out. Tracyparnell had a quite interesting jouney down the same path, and opened a thread to discuss problems/solutions. Have a search thru the posts, I'm sure you will find this thread helpfull.

Status
Please reply by conversation.