The future of 121?

Tyralak

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Secure, Undisclosed Location
As Dish has been moving internationals off of 121 to 118.7, I've noticed we've been doing a lot of Superdish 121 installs for movie theaters. Is Dish turning 121 into a commercial use satellite? From what I was told, these theaters are getting certain movies distributed to them by the studios over 121, and they are fed into a digital projector. Anyone have any info on this?

Coming soon to a theatre near you, "Acquiring Satellite Signal, 0 of 5."

I'll be the first in line to get my ticket

Interesting!

I was looking at the 121 list the other night. Last time I looked (almost 2 years ago when I had a superdish/121 for locals), it was full of locals. Now it seems that there's not much at all on there. They must be freeing it up for something.

Has all the south asian channels been transferred to 118.7. I want to get the new dish 1000 where it has HD and International but I am waiting until all channels are moved so I don't have to put 2 dishes on the roof. What is the site that tells you what channels are at what satellite location?

Um for what ? Private viewing ?
The movie theaters use 4K standard will less compession.

Well, 2K is still pretty common for digital projectors I think, but the point still stands.

Perhaps it's for the pre-shows? The chains here have local ads, so I think it's all fed off a server. But I've been to theaters when in other states that seem to have a generic national pre-show.

I had to do a local ad for a theater pre-show the other day, they just use 1280 x 720 Quicktime.

server? HDD? satellite?

in a movie theatre?

As far as I can tell they are still using FILM REELS around here, unless there is something built in their digital projector to emulate the "clickety-click" noise for no good reason.

i installed super dish for ritz theater last month with 622 hooked to the projector, and we did test with discovery HD and the theater manager was really impress quality...

he told me they were gone use this to broadcast opera from Met.. starting late jan.

i installed super dish for ritz theater last month with 622 hooked to the projector, and we did test with discovery HD and the theater manager was really impress quality...

he told me they were gone use this to broadcast opera from Met.. starting late jan.

Exactly what I was told! They were going to be showing opera. But he also mentioned movies being transmitted that way.

In the Boston suburbs, several Red Sox games are shown live in the big stadium movie theaters. Cheaper than actual tickets to the game (which you can't get anyways) but still get that at-the-game vibe watching with a crowd.

When I took the kids to see Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium a couple of weeks ago there was a trailer for an upcoming "live via satellite" Christmas-themed event with some big famous choir. When I worked in movie theaters back in the 80's I thought that this would be the wave of the future. Even back then there were occasional live broadcasts of prize fights and such, like what is on PPV now. I am kind of surprised that it took this long for technology to catch up.