The future of DVR?

dlsnyder said:
Now if your Tivo could record from any connected tuner on your home network THAT would be a cool feature! Think of it - no more conflicts ever. Your only limitation on the number of shows you could record at once would be the number of tuners you had activated on your network. All tuners record to a central unit and all recorded programs are simultaneously available on all networked tuners. That could be where the technology is ultimately headed.

The cable co. are already thinking of this. Scientific Atlanta demo'd such a system out at CES this year. It consisted of a main "server" DVR that is placed on your primary TV, which then was connected to auxilary "thin client" boxes on up to 3 other sets. All 4 boxes could independently record or watch TV at once & all of this was accomplished through existing cable TV coax already in the house with NO rewiring at all.

Unfortunately, DBS has a long way to get to this...

dishrich said:
The cable co. are already thinking of this. Scientific Atlanta demo'd such a system out at CES this year. It consisted of a main "server" DVR that is placed on your primary TV, which then was connected to auxilary "thin client" boxes on up to 3 other sets. All 4 boxes could independently record or watch TV at once & all of this was accomplished through existing cable TV coax already in the house with NO rewiring at all.

Unfortunately, DBS has a long way to get to this...

Voom demo'd the same type system, and it is supposed to be released later this year.....

dishrich said:
Then WHY are there many other folks on these boards that would disagree with you, that have NOT had phone lines hooked up for months now, like this guy:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=19059

How would I know how his stuff works?

Yes, you get a nag screen, but it does NOT disable your DVR functions - you are incorrect on this one & I have a couple of customers that are like this as well. Further, the DVR is enabled/disabled through the satellite & NOT the phone as well

True, I checked and stand corrected on this. Regardless why should I have to put up with even a nag screen?

Who DID you call - if it was D*, of COURSE they are going to TELL you this, (duh) but if you DO call up & tell them after the fact you DON'T have a land line, then they will just turn PPV off on your box - they do this all the time.

I shouldn't have to hack the Tivo and/or cheat D* to get the thing to work without a phone line. Just my opinion.

Guide updates DO, software updates DON'T - again, it WON'T be until release 4 that the software ones do.

Didn't go recheck this as it doesn't really make a diffrence to me anymore.

If you, in fact, are NO longer using one of these units, how do YOU know these things are true or not??? :confused: :confused: :confused: (other than your phone call to D*)

[/QUOTE]

You think you are confused... you are basically saying that you can't trust the information from your sat provider (D*) to be accurate. Why would you continue to pay them money?!?

Regardless, this isn't about D*. It's about the 522's new features. :)

JasonW said:
Regardless why should I have to put up with even a nag screen?

Better a nag screen, than having to reboot the stupid box once a week, or loosing hours of my recordings. (but I guess you'll find that out eventually...)

I shouldn't have to hack the Tivo and/or cheat D* to get the thing to work without a phone line. Just my opinion.

Who said ONE thing about hacking OR cheating D* - I SAID, you just call D*, tell them (honestly) that you NO longer have a phone line connected, & they will turn that function off in the system. I've done this for several customers, DVR or otherwise, & D* doesn't have a problem with it at all - why would YOU??? :confused: :confused:

you are basically saying that you can't trust the information from your sat provider (D*) to be accurate. Why would you continue to pay them money?!?

I guess the same reason why you guys pay $$$ to E*, of whom you CAN'T trust their info - EITHER... (just ask all the proud 921 owners that did NOT get their firewire ports enabled :D :D )

Regardless, this isn't about D*

True, but it's annoying when people make statements as facts, about a product they DON'T even have in their homes, that are NOT true. ;) ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts