The Future of TV Is the Internet: Roku CEO

It ain't gonna be next year, though. Bandwidth needs to explode to make a serious dent in satco services. Even cablecos might see just a gradual shift in customers' use of the Internet pipe over the traditional cable model.

Think about it: Broadcasting the same thing at the same time to all, versus every single user getting a dedicated connection.

But I agree, I see his business growing. And Roku/Internet capabilities are among the few ways manufacturers can add value to their products to encourage sales. I believe PQ is now more than good enough for over 90% of the populace. So they can add value or race to the bottom on price.

Provided ISP's lift the caps on downloads. A lot cap at 20 GB per month. That would only be about 20 hours of programming per month before charges for extra GB's kick in.

Yep. And when content owners realize their streaming sales are cutting into their sat & cable earnings, they might decide to cut out streaming deals or jack up the rates. There will not be a sudden collapse of current models. There will be sources of friction in moving to an IPTV dominated world.

There's a lot of obstacles to streaming everything we want on Tv. In the last couple of months I looked into it somewhat. My Tv is a smart Tv. I've got Roku XS also. Push a button and Netflix is right there on the Tv. Roku is ok but very limited choice of programs for most. I've tried adding Play On to the Roku and wasn't impressed. Picture quality is worse than Sd. A lot of it as far as tv shows and movies, is old public domain stuff that's not all that good. Most people would like full episodes not 5 minute clips.The internet/cable providers are on stuck on limiting bandwith which will hamper growth. If thousands defect to IPTV then the cable and dish folks will hop on board and the prices will equal the prices we pay already. I'm hoping to see someone new come out with an Al a carte plan so we can pick a package of channels we really want, at a price we can easily afford. Going to take some changes and some big bucks to put the screws to the providers we have now. First one with the bucks to do it will make some good money though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts