The Great One

When I saw your Title, I thought you were talking about Gretsky ....

Also very quickly, Oh NO crossed my mind ...

Glad it talking about Roberto instead ...

When I saw your Title, I thought you were talking about Gretsky ....

Also very quickly, Oh NO crossed my mind ...

Glad it talking about Roberto instead ...

Never, Mario is better imo.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I swear Billy Joel was thinking of Clemente when he penned his hit song, "Only the Good Die Young".

How many people were legends as an athlete and as a humanatarian? It's a sin that they don't make them like Mr. Clemente anymore.

Clemente averaged fewer than 14 homers a season and fewer than 5 stolen bases a season.

But a CAREER .317 batting average a the only player in MLB to hit safely in every World Series games(minimum 10 games..lifetime .457 World Series BA) he has played, hit over .310 for 12 straight years(with a minimum 490 ABs) and 13 straight years winning an outfield Gold Glove...when it was deserved and not a popularity contest.

VERY FEW can boast numbers like that in the Hall of Fame NOW.... ;-)

But a CAREER .317 batting average a the only player in MLB to hit safely in every World Series games(minimum 10 games..lifetime .457 World Series BA) he has played, hit over .310 for 12 straight years(with a minimum 490 ABs) and 13 straight years winning an outfield Gold Glove...when it was deserved and not a popularity contest.

VERY FEW can boast numbers like that in the Hall of Fame NOW.... ;-)

But what was his WAR number, thats all that they care about anymore. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I swear Billy Joel was thinking of Clemente when he penned his hit song, "Only the Good Die Young".

How many people were legends as an athlete and as a humanatarian? It's a sin that they don't make them like Mr. Clemente anymore.

Sorry Bill and I hope not :
With these lyrics ! :)

The song was inspired by a high school crush of Billy Joel's, Virginia Callahan. The boy/narrator believes that the girl is refusing him because she comes from a religious Catholic family and that she believes sex before marriage is sinful.[2] He sings,

"You Catholic girls start much too late,
but sooner or later it comes down to fate.
I might as well be the one."

Perceived as "anti-Catholic", the song was banned by many radio stations.[2] "When I wrote 'Only the Good Die Young', the point of the song wasn't so much anti-Catholic as pro-lust," Joel told Performing Songwriter magazine. "The minute they banned it, the album started shooting up the charts." In a 2008 interview, Joel also pointed out one part of the lyrics that virtually all the critics missed – the man in the song failed to get anywhere with the girl, and she kept her chastity

His WAR rating BEFORE his prime, averaged about 3.5, which is considered solid. After he hit 27, it averaged 6.8, which is considerd MVP type status.

How the he** do you find WAR numbers for years past like that ?

I HATE the fact that an players ENTIRE WORTH comes down to a NUMBER now days, says nothing about the player and how he played, did he inspire those around him, was he a leader and all the other variables that goes into make a Great Player and human being ...

I HATE the fact that an players ENTIRE WORTH comes down to a NUMBER now days, says nothing about the player and how he played, did he inspire those around him, was he a leader and all the other variables that goes into make a Great Player and human being ...

Whenever I hear the term 'WAR' used in baseball I envision a room filled with statisticians, with poor personal hygiene no less, concocting meaningless ways to give meaning to something nobody cares about. I would rather they focused their efforts on solving real problems...like our economy. Then they get upset when Miguel Cabrera, who won the MVP after being the first man to hoist the Triple Crown in 45-years while taking his team to the World Series, defeats their less deserving candidates who are better at spitting seeds, washing balls and polishing hickory knobs. :rolleyes:

Anyway, although the term 'The Great One' is typically reserved for Gretzky, Roberto Clemente was certainly one of the greatest both on and off the field. No amount of silly statistics can fully quantify his value to his team, to major league baseball, and to his community. ;)

I actually found them quite easly. I had average it out per years because many of the sites accumulate the total as opposed to the number per year.

Baseball reference....is where I found them.

I actually found them quite easly. I had average it out per years because many of the sites accumulate the total as opposed to the number per year.

Baseball reference....is where I found them.

With all due respect to this great site, Baseball Reference is my all time favorite website! That site is da bomb!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts