The hassles of being an honest Dish Network retailer....

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
I had an experience last night (5-21-15) that has everything to do with my work and Dish. I work for a local, family owned Dish retailer that has been selling, installing and servicing our customers for almost 20 years now, I have been there for over 15 years.

Two door to door salesmen were canvasing my neighborhood. I saw them talking to a neighbor of mine I have known for over 5 years, and I thought I overheard them mention Dish Network and Comcast. When they left I asked my neighbor what had happened, he told me he thought he got a good deal and had bought a 3 TV Hopper system from them... He knows what I do and he mentioned me to the salesmen, they said they knew me well and we were all part of the same team (after my neighbor mentioned my name, they said, oh ya, Brad is a great guy, we know him). That is a bold face lie, they are our competition and we had never met, let alone know each other. They also lied to the customer about the monthly cost and a number of other things, including not mentioning the 2 year commitment (they implied it was 1 year).

Not that I was really surprised, but when I found out that they had lied to my friends to get the sale, I was pissed and tracked them down a block away. I told them where they could go for lying to get the sale and that the customer was cancelling with them and getting it through me. They got in my face and by the end actually physically threatened me.

NEVER buy (satellite TV) from a door to door salesman or telemarketer. They will lie and say anything they want to get the sale, and you will never see them again after it is installed. Buy from a local retailer, preferably one who does their own installs and service work. My company has been a local company in the same spot for nearly 20 years. Some areas don't have local, honest dealers, but a lot do. Look, and if you can't find a local dealer, go straight through Dish (800-333-3474), at least you will know who you are buying from. Don't trust the yellow pages add that says it is at some random local address, commonly that is a made up address with a local phone #, from some out of state company. The yellow pages in our area has an add that the address is for a down town parking lot, the company is actually over 1000 miles away (a violation of the retailer contract).

We see so many people that are lied to by telemarketers and door to door salesmen, they don't realize it till the system is installed, they get their 1st bill, and they are stuck in a 2 year contract. Then they come to us for help when it is to late.

The biggest issue with these door to door salesmen is they are breaking state law (in our state anyway) and Dish's retailer agreement. They lie and screw the customer over, it is what gives us all a bad name. State Law and Dish says they have to be actual employees, hired and paid with a W-2, they CAN NOT be paid with a 1099 (The employer isn't responsible for damage caused by 1099 "employees" and isn't paying the taxes, like medicare, that the honest companies are paying). That is a direct violation of the retailer agreement with Dish, but it is how all the big door to door outfits do it. Dish looks the other way because they sell lots of systems, while the honest retailers are screwed.

It pisses us off to no end that we follow all the rules, and then see a company come into our state/area, break all the rules, get real big, and sell lots of systems. Then we are left holding the bag (so to speak) with their pissed off customers that then come to our (actual) store for help, when they can't get any help from whoever they bought it from.

I would LOVE to see a DIRT member comment on this, but I know they won't, it is the dark underside of how Dish sells (a lot of) their systems. The more you break the rules and the law the better you do and the more Dish loves you for it. Some times it sucks having a conscience, at least when being a Dish retailer...

Last edited:
Did you ever get the name of their company? Did it happen to be DishOne?

I have a picture of the work order they left with the customer and a picture of the 2 "salesmen", but it probably isn't proper to post that here. It wasn't DishOne.

I was chatting more with my good friend & boss about it. They are actually taught to lie to the customers in the door to door training classes. They are taught to learn the local dealers and say they are with them if it comes up, or even bring it up if it isn't... It is really sickening.

I had an experience last night (5-21-15) that has everything to do with my work and Dish. I work for a local, family owned Dish retailer that has been selling, installing and servicing our customers for almost 20 years now, I have been there for over 15 years.

Two door to door salesmen were canvasing my neighborhood. I saw them talking to a neighbor of mine I have known for over 5 years, and I thought I overheard them mention Dish Network and Comcast. When they left I asked my neighbor what had happened, he told me he thought he got a good deal and had bought a 3 TV Hopper system from them... He knows what I do and he mentioned me to the salesmen, they said they knew me well and we were all part of the same team (after my neighbor mentioned my name, they said, oh ya, Brad is a great guy, we know him). That is a bold face lie, they are our competition and we had never met, let alone know each other. They also lied to the customer about the monthly cost and a number of other things, including not mentioning the 2 year commitment (they implied it was 1 year).

Not that I was really surprised, but when I found out that they had lied to my friends to get the sale, I was pissed and tracked them down a block away. I told them where they could go for lying to get the sale and that the customer was cancelling with them and getting it through me. They got in my face and by the end actually physically threatened me.

NEVER buy (satellite TV) from a door to door salesman or telemarketer. They will lie and say anything they want to get the sale, and you will never see them again after it is installed. Buy from a local retailer, preferably one who does their own installs and service work. My company has been a local company in the same spot for nearly 20 years. Some areas don't have local, honest dealers, but a lot do. Look, and if you can't find a local dealer, go straight through Dish (800-333-3474), at least you will know who you are buying from. Don't trust the yellow pages add that says it is at some random local address, commonly that is a made up address with a local phone #, from some out of state company. The yellow pages in our area has an add that the address is for a down town parking lot, the company is actually over 1000 miles away (a violation of the retailer contract).

We see so many people that are lied to by telemarketers and door to door salesmen, they don't realize it till the system is installed, they get their 1st bill, and they are stuck in a 2 year contract. Then they come to us for help when it is to late.

The biggest issue with these door to door salesmen is they are breaking state law (in our state anyway) and Dish's retailer agreement. They lie and screw the customer over, it is what gives us all a bad name. State Law and Dish says they have to be actual employees, hired and paid with a W-2, they CAN NOT be paid with a 1099 (The employer isn't responsible for damage caused by 1099 "employees" and isn't paying the taxes, like medicare, that the honest companies are paying). That is a direct violation of the retailer agreement with Dish, but it is how all the big door to door outfits do it. Dish looks the other way because they sell lots of systems, while the honest retailers are screwed.

It pisses us off to no end that we follow all the rules, and then see a company come into our state/area, break all the rules, get real big, and sell lots of systems. Then we are left holding the bag (so to speak) with their pissed off customers that then come to our (actual) store for help, when they can't get any help from whoever they bought it from.

I would LOVE to see a DIRT member comment on this, but I know they won't, it is the dark underside of how Dish sells (a lot of) their systems. The more you break the rules and the law the better you do and the more Dish loves you for it. Some times it sucks having a conscience, at least when being a Dish retailer...

Brad,

My name is Jamie, I manage the social media team here at DISH (commonly referred to as DIRT).

First and foremost, I’d like to thank you for your passion and dedication to the brand. Few possess as much pride and commitment as you indicated in your post and I know that I speak for all of us when I say that we appreciate your allegiance.

With regard to the alleged misdoing by the door-to-door sales cohort that you encountered, I’d appreciate any and all information you may have that could help us identify the company and individuals involved (privately, of course). We take these matters very seriously and in every case perform a thorough investigation of the situation – especially those concerning the deceit of current or prospective customers.

Unfortunately the language and mechanics of our retailer sales agreements are a bit outside of my wheelhouse, so I’ll need to defer commentary on that topic for now. I’m hopeful that we can gain a better understanding of what occurred and who should be held accountable with your additional information on the situation.

Again, thank you for loyalty to DISH and taking the time to post about your experience. I’m looking forward to hearing back from you.

-Jamie

Brad,

My name is Jamie, I manage the social media team here at DISH (commonly referred to as DIRT).

First and foremost, I’d like to thank you for your passion and dedication to the brand. Few possess as much pride and commitment as you indicated in your post and I know that I speak for all of us when I say that we appreciate your allegiance.

With regard to the alleged misdoing by the door-to-door sales cohort that you encountered, I’d appreciate any and all information you may have that could help us identify the company and individuals involved (privately, of course). We take these matters very seriously and in every case perform a thorough investigation of the situation – especially those concerning the deceit of current or prospective customers.

Unfortunately the language and mechanics of our retailer sales agreements are a bit outside of my wheelhouse, so I’ll need to defer commentary on that topic for now. I’m hopeful that we can gain a better understanding of what occurred and who should be held accountable with your additional information on the situation.

Again, thank you for loyalty to DISH and taking the time to post about your experience. I’m looking forward to hearing back from you.

-Jamie

Thank you Jamie,

As others have mentioned, you have 1 post and I imagine anyone could come up with that name, so after verification through Scott Greczkowski of you status, I will share it with you. I also want to chat with my boss about it, as he is going through his own channels and I don't want to mess that up.

That being said, this is exactly what we have known the door to door sales people do for a long time, it isn't a secret, it just hurt more when it was so close to home (about 50 feet). But anything that might punish the cheaters, is great with me.

Thanks

Maybe it's because Jamie is the manager, like he says in his post, and doesn't get into the day to day toil that his subordinates get into. You know how some people, when they don't get what they want, demand to talk the supervisor. Everybody would want to talk to Jamie first up because they think he would be able to get something better that Speedy can give them..... ;)

As a retailer myself I know exactly how you feel when someone comes into your back yard and signs up your potential customers.

Or worse yet or how about when you got friends and family over and they mention they just got Dish and you say to them you know I sell this stuff, why didn't you call me first.

Nothing you can really do, and to be honest with you I would rather not sign up my friends because If there is a chargeback I don't talk to them anymore, and besides its a pain in the ass everytime they have a problem and expect you to jump and fix it. I got one friend who calls me everytime it rains to tell me her dish is out.

But really nothing you can do. Dish is not going to yank their retailer agreement because they are selling in your backyard.

All you can really do is just do what you do better.

When you get a customer who walks into your store that you didn't sell who has a problem. Do what I do. Quote them a price to fix it, if they don't want to pay, smile and tell them to call 800-333-dish or if you sell Directv offer to switch them over if they want you to service their account.

But seriously don't let it get to you.

Business must be good in your area if an out of area retailer can afford to support a door to door crew in your area. Consider putting together your own crew.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)