The HD Locals Party Thread (4/23/08)

I live in the Mobile/Pensacola market and I want the HD locals. I only have a Dish 1000 pointed at 110/119/129. Will E* send someone out to put up a dish for 61.5? I suspect that most HD customers in this market will need a 2nd dish for 61.5. Why would they turn on channels that most of their customers can not see?

I live in the Mobile/Pensacola market and I want the HD locals. I only have a Dish 1000 pointed at 110/119/129. Will E* send someone out to put up a dish for 61.5? I suspect that most HD customers in this market will need a 2nd dish for 61.5. Why would they turn on channels that most of their customers can not see?

I suspect you will be contacted or you can contact Dish.. As a Dish Retailer, I am still waiting to see if they are going to let us upgrade customers for free or for cheap.. But right now I don't have an answer for that. But I am sure Dish already has a plan in place to get all their customers upgraded for the new locals..

Edit:

If the rules stay the same for Mobile as they are for other Cities, Your local retailer should be able to do the upgrade for free if you wish to sign a 24 month commitment, of if you don't want a committment the there is a $60 charge for the upgrade.. Nothing official for our area yet though.

Last edited:
I suspect you will be contacted or you can contact Dish.. As a Dish Retailer, I am still waiting to see if they are going to let us upgrade customers for free or for cheap.. But right now I don't have an answer for that. But I am sure Dish already has a plan in place to get all their customers upgraded for the new locals..

Edit:

If the rules stay the same for Mobile as they are for other Cities, Your local retailer should be able to do the upgrade for free if you wish to sign a 24 month commitment, of if you don't want a committment the there is a $60 charge for the upgrade.. Nothing official for our area yet though.

Thanks Mark!! Should I call now or wait for E* to contact me?

Providence went live in in the early AM. When I upgraded to HD about a year and half ago I was told locals and NESN will be in HD "soon". Now we know "Soon" is around 18 months :)

Thanks Mark!! Should I call now or wait for E* to contact me?

That is the sixty-four thousand dollar question. If you want them quickly I suggest making the call yourself.. If you want them even quicker then I suggest a local retailer who can do it for you.. Not sure about retailers in the Fairhope area but I am sure they have some.. Their deals, though will be pretty much written in stone. Dish, itself, has more leeway to give you a better deal. And sometimes will give more than your local guy can. But my guess is the local guy could get to you faster..

I don't really work the Fairhope area.. I know a retailer in Stapleton, and one in Robertsdale you might try if you want to go that route. Or just call Dish.

So, looking at the list of locals that Dish had planned for April, it seems they have met that commitment and then some, I hope that means that next week is freed up for a large NationalHD rollout. It also looks like may is availiable for more roll out since they only have 2 Markets planned the whole month

So, looking at the list of locals that Dish had planned for April, it seems they have met that commitment and then some, I hope that means that next week is freed up for a large NationalHD rollout. It also looks like may is availiable for more roll out since they only have 2 Markets planned the whole month

Yeah, my locals were originally slated for april, then pushed back to may, and now went live yesterday. I think next month will be interesting indeed.

I don't see them. What am I doing wrong? Do you have to do anything special to get them? Reboot the receiver or anything?

Unbelievable! I just called Dish and they say I need a another dish to receive HD locals in Greensboro. I currently have a Dish 1000. I was told that I don't need a different dish, but another dish in addition to the one I have. Also, it would cost $59 with a 24 month comittment or $99 without a comittment. Does anyone have the phone number for DirecTV. I have patiently waited for HD locals to come for 18 months and now this. I'm fuming!

WLOS doesn't show news in HD.

Too bad Jenny Dunn and Leah Anderson left if they did...:hungry:

Oh yes that would be sweet. I ran into the new reporter the other day, bumped into her in Waynesville can't think of her name but she would be nice in HD cause she was in person. Looks like just WSPA 7 is the only local news in HD.

With all the effort for HD locals--
those of us without ANY locals SD or HD will probably never see them?
Doesn't seem to be any effort to add totally new markets now that they are pushing adding HD to existing.

Have to hope that they don't screw up the "moving" options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)