the "I now have a hopper 3 and I have questions" thread

I always thought in the commercials and marketing, they always claimed 2TB, the largest capacity in the industry for a DVR, more than any competitor then like you said, it mentions the hours of recordings and then I read somewhere that it's 500gb for user, 500gb for PTAT, 1TB reserved for Dish except I don't have PTAT recordings and I seemed to have used up 93% of the 1.2TB for SD Recordings on the H2K, did they actually change it so the entire 1TB is available to the user instead of just 500GB?
Your thinking of the 922 which was 500 GB for the user and 500 GB for DISH.
The Hoppers were originally 1 TB for the user and 1 TB for DISH & PTAT until DISH moved PTAT to the user partition and increased the size to 1.23 TB for the user.

Your thinking of the 922 which was 500 GB for the user and 500 GB for DISH.
The Hoppers were originally 1 TB for the user and 1 TB for DISH & PTAT until DISH moved PTAT to the user partition and increased the size to 1.23 TB for the user.

I actually read it on the thread mentioned above when I searched earlier today on Google. Even back when the Hopper was available when I installed, I remember it was 1.0TB User. The 1.23TB figure is based on 1024K per MB rather than 1000K per MB that storage manufacturers has been using. 2TB is probably the unformatted capacity as the actual capacity is 1.8xTB for EHD's that are supposedly 2.0TB drives.

That's from 3 years ago and no longer accurate. Dish made changes to how space is used or allocated since then (in response to lawsuits related to Autohop).
It didn't make sense when I read it since I had DISH Service and the Hopper 2K installed in November 2012 which was longer than that, I always remembered it as being 1TB. How was DISH able to go from 1TB to 1.2TB as I thought the drive was partitioned for a certain size so the user can access it while the rest of the drive is on other partition(s).

Actually, it's not really one partition because my 2TB EHD which was formatted on the H2K has the following partition layout so the software determines how much total space the user can use regardless of partition size:

yh5BkiW.jpg

Why in the world would Dish create multiple partitions on an external drive like that?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Why in the world would Dish create multiple partitions on an external drive like that?

Perhaps the software developers know the reason? I'm sure they didn't just randomly decide to do it that way for no real reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay
I just noticed that the restore from trash option is not working..it has the icon to restore but the shows I just deleted are not there.
Is this a bug or user error?

It seems to like doing 500GB size partitions for up to 1TB total and then the rest will be it's own partition even though it's larger than 500GB. Might have to do with cluster/block size too because the larger the partition, the larger the block size. Since if the block size was 4K for example, even if a file was 2 bytes, it would still take 4KBytes of disk space.

I just noticed that the restore from trash option is not working..it has the icon to restore but the shows I just deleted are not there.
Is this a bug or user error?

What I noticed for deleted videos which are on the H3 internal HD I deleted was that when I try to restore a individual episode, it doesn't show all of them except the first few in that show. I have to restore everything for that show.

I just deleted a bunch of stuff and when I go to the trash it says "No Trashed Events Available"

If the items you deleted were PTAT then they won't show up in the trash but they should still be in the PTAT folder.

Perhaps the software developers know the reason? I'm sure they didn't just randomly decide to do it that way for no real reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
I was asking the question. There may be - probably is - a good reason. I can't think of any off-hand.

It seems to like doing 500GB size partitions for up to 1TB total and then the rest will be it's own partition even though it's larger than 500GB. Might have to do with cluster/block size too because the larger the partition, the larger the block size. Since if the block size was 4K for example, even if a file was 2 bytes, it would still take 4KBytes of disk space.
That seems reasonable... They may have a rule that looks at the total capacity and divides it up along the lines you say. A 500gb drive may have 1, 250, & 249 gb partitions (or adjusted for actual formatted capacity).

That seems reasonable... They may have a rule that looks at the total capacity and divides it up along the lines you say. A 500gb drive may have 1, 250, & 249 gb partitions (or adjusted for actual formatted capacity).

According to my research of the ext3 filesystem:

Block size; MAX File size; Maximum file system size

1 KiB; 16 GiB ; 2 TiB
2 KiB ; 256 GiB ; 8 TiB
4 KiB ; 2 TiB ; 16 TiB
8 KiB[limits 1]; 2 TiB; 32 TiB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts