The Kill Hit

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm now out of town until the 3rd, so I went ahead and unhooked the main line where it goes into the splitter to the 922/905/DVB before I left.

I called SRL a couple of days ago and asked about the KILL happening on/after December 26th in regards to my CBS and ABC (W1 satellite) subscriptions. The person did not give me a clear cut answer. All I understand from SRL is that if something happens to my subscriptions on W1 (CBS and ABC) that I can just call them for a rehit.

One thing that is really bothering me is that anyone, and I mean anyone, who gave NPS their unit id numbers on the 4dtv's could be on the "list" to kill. :confused: I have not subscribed with them for years and only asked for a rehit on a unit of mine to get the clock set on the right time (old instructions said you had to do this) many many months ago. However, a list of unit id's may not matter and what happens, happens.

wouldnt moto have all the unit ids they ever produced already? we really are at the mercy of moto here. even people talking about itc dc2 feeds next year. what is stopping moto from injecting new maps into these muxes to removes all maps but x4 ? either way im enjoying the entertainment this situation is providing. as my pops says... prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

crackt out,.

Here's a question that comes to mind. I didn't want to start a new thread over this, so not sure which would be the appropriate thread to ask in. This thread seems as good as any I guess. Sometimes during these holidays there are subscription feeds ITC. Is it safe to look for any of those? Safe to watch them if one finds any? Right now my Cband lnbf is connected to my dvb-s and not also to the 922. Just wondering if it's safe to go holiday feed hunting?

I would say if its running only on a commercial datastream, such as those goodies on the generics you should be safe. If it also has the 4096 EMM DS such as HBO, Show, Starz etc then no. You can tell if the 4096 DS is there by the message you get while scrambled. If it says This Channel is not available, it's searching for an EMM. If it says Not Subscribed Contact... It found 4096.

Turner used to open the VC2 feeds up on the holidays. I have never seen the PowerVu channels open on the holidays. :(

thats what i always figured when you get the "not subscribed" message it found the stream telling the reciever you NO...thanks for the info.

Years ago Turner relaxed the encryption for the holidays, but not much remains on C band from them these days.

I actually remember that..I think. If we're talking about the same mux, I recall Boomerang being ITC during the holidays. You're def correct when you say not much remains on Cband these days. At least as far as the 4DTV is concerned.

I just listened to the 12/22 SatTalk and it seems that Mike thinks we're being paranoid about the so-called kill hit. According to him, the "kill hit" is really a de-authorization hit. It shouldn't impact anyone subscribed thru SRL but we should stay away from G1. He said if we get de-authorized we can get a rehit. I don't know if I should risk keeping my 4D coax hooked up.......

Thanks for the information johnnynobody. I hope I am just paranoid about the kill and my subscriptions through SRL.

I am still going to be as careful as possible during the hit season. Maybe I should go out and buy some camouflage material for the 922.:D

My gut instinct on the kill hit is this it can contain a bit to change channel maps. I may not affect us in anyway but the possibility is there it can. Motorola can wipe our maps out in a few seconds and with no way to get them back it's smarter to protect oneself from tonight on. As fast as X4 will appear on W5 we could be left with a blank slate just as fast. Then what do we do? Motorola could say do a MR and it will give you the stock analog satellites back and the dish will move but the DC-2 part will be inaccessible. I think that would cover them legally since it still would function as an analog IRD. We'll in a few weeks hopefully this will all be history.

Last edited:
I just disconnected the coax to my 4DTV even though it might have been OK thru the "kill hit". I'd be interested if anyone left their 4DTV hooked up and did or didn't get bricked during the "kill season". Of course, if we don't find a way to keep the 4DTV working after a master/factory reset after 01/05.......

I did a 3 month subscription once last year through NPS, like Nov-Jan. Then went with SRL from then on. So although this is the only source of TV I have, outside of a couple ota from my areal, I decided to park my dish on T-1 & unplug the cable & leave the dish plugged in but off. NPS have tried a couple times to contact me a couple weeks ago, so I'm definitely on the call list, but I never got a chance to talk to them. According to resorces though, I was supposed to get a re-hit after getting X4 programmed in but I never got the re-hit. (oops). I hope it will be OK when I bring it out of hibernation.

My stuff is unplugged too!

This sure sounds like history repeating itself. I am not sure if we are reliving the Y2K threat or the Passover!!! ;)

My 4DTV is parked for now....

I have mine parked on L5 (KU for T5) so I can use my DVB to still watch some programing while we wait. Anyone have suggestions for any other english speaking channels that I could watch until this whole things blows over?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts