"The Mayor" retires from baseball

I honestly did not see this one coming...

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Casey retires after 12 MLB seasons

First Base will never be quite the same again.:D

I didn't see this either!!!...:eek:

I have always been a big fan of Sean's ever since he came to the Reds back in 1998. After he was severely injured a year later (a bll hit him square in the eye during batting practice). he was on the Reds caravan the next spring and I asked him if he was ready for spring training and the new season. He was like a kid in a candy store, jumping up and down not being able to hold back his enthusiasm to play!!!...:D He was a great addition to the team!!!...

I also have a great picture of Sean waving to me during streching before a game at Wrigley Field in Chi-town. I was on the first base line with my Reds gear on and I shouted out to him and snapped a great picture!!!...I'll try to post it later!!!,,,

One of classiest, most charitable men in all of professional sports. Other athletes could do well by following his example.

I think Sean's time has come to hang it up.
I enjoyed watching him greatly, I was happy when the Indians traded him to the Reds and he eventually played with the Tigers and the Red Sox.
He's always been a very classy guy.

Jimbo

I think Sean's time has come to hang it up.
I enjoyed watching him greatly, I was happy when the Indians traded him to the Reds and he eventually played with the Tigers and the Red Sox.
He's always been a very classy guy.

Jimbo

Yup. He was universally loved and respected in the Red Sox clubhouse last year. :up

He had a nice run to help the tigers in 06...You could tell that he was a good guy for the locker room

I seem to recall some great story re: a boy with autism or something similar who was in a world all his own. Doncha know that The Mayor with his "God-Given Gift of Gab" was the only/first person to break thru into this kid's world and get him to talk! Amazing.

I can't believe he retired already. For some reason nobody would let him play full time. He could bat over .300, how could you keep him out?