The most basic, stupid question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
For all but a few, the term "due south satellite" is wrong. Most of us are off that exact longitude by a number and fraction of degrees. When I hinally realized that, I discovered why I couldn't hit the satellites at the far east and west. The system I use now is fast and works.

You start out by taking note of how many "clicks" or counts your dish mover has per degree of travel. So you see what it is at 97 and then at 99 - the number of counts in between.
Divide by 2 and you have the number of counts per degree. Then you note your exact longitude. Let's say it's 98.2 west at your house.
So you are .8 degrees (eight tenths) to the east of 99 west. Then you multiply the number of counts per degree times .8.

Then you get the dish at zenith - meaning where it's square with the mount and it's where it should be at due south. I use a big framing square, but different dishes will use different ways to get zenith. Then, once you get it there, in the example I gave, you move the dish west the number of clicks that most closely equals .8 degrees. You move the dish on the pole and you do elevation to get the strongest signal, never using the dish mover. With your meter then you do skew, but except for some few satellites, the best adjustment will be as above stated

Reactions: Dee_Ann
Now that I have finally gotten my motorized KU dish working properly (after almost FIVE YEARS!) I’m going to now turn my attention to making this dish work properly.
It’s never worked right because I didn’t understand pretty much anything when I first put it up. I got it half-*** working enough to get MeTV and have left it alone.

In the process of making the KU dish work right I learned a lot of things that I can apply to making this one work right.

Tomorrow, it’s C-band tune up day ! :D

It is that time.

But rather than floundering around like I’m drowning in the shallow end of the kiddie pool, I need to ask more questions and do some research :enjoying ...

As with my KU motorized dish, (which took me over 4 years to get it working!) I have never once gotten my C-band dish working properly either.

One of the multitude of problems I’ve had with all this is math. I am worse than terrible with match and stuff like figuring angles and all that geometry stuff, just, NO!

how to do math.jpg

I never could understand the math formulas that you HAVE TO DO to make these things work.

I still don’t understand why my KU HH motor has two settings, inclination and declination. Or the C-band dish for that matter.

But I’m going to learn :enjoying:enjoying:enjoying:enjoying:enjoying if it kills me.

So today I’m focused on study. :enjoying
In the air conditioning.

And now that I have a proper satellite meter and a digital angle meter, I’m sure that I will get this thing working right too..

Eventually. :oops:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts