The New Encore Channels.

MY point about westerns is that they are no longer a main source of movies and tv shows like they were in their heyday of the 50's ,60's and 70's. Like Gunsmoke which ran from 1955 - 1975 ,a 20 year run. The people who watched this type of entertainment is much , much older and literally dieing out each year.
To paraphrase Monty Python's "Holy Grail", "but I'm not dead yet".

Yep. I have the top 250 and 90% of my viewing is the Golf Channel, the History Channel, and Encore Westerns. I'd rather watch a rerun of Gunsmoke 40 times over than one episode of How I Met Your Mother or that geek crap that I can't remember the name of. Yes, I'm an old fart, but I still got some money that Dish wants.

Yep. I have the top 250 and 90% of my viewing is the Golf Channel, the History Channel, and Encore Westerns. I'd rather watch a rerun of Gunsmoke 40 times over than one episode of How I Met Your Mother or that geek crap that I can't remember the name of. Yes, I'm an old fart, but I still got some money that Dish wants.

The Encore package is pretty much worthless to me but I do have a lot of customers that enjoy Encore Westerns. Of course I live in an area where RFDTV is one of our most watched channels.

They also have the new Encore Black channel, and I am not black so i don't bother watching. I don't like when they segregate the channels like that.

They also have the new Encore Black channel, and I am not black so i don't bother watching. I don't like when they segregate the channels like that.

It does seem odd that a channel can have that name. I have no problem with it but what does bother me is how everyone would be more upset if there was an Encore White channel, but that's a discussion for The Pit.

I think it would benefit Encore if they dropped the whole genre classification and rebranded their networks Encore 20s/30s/40s (one channel) Encore 1950s & 60s , Encore 70s, Encore 80s, Encore 90s and then pick days to show certain genres. Starz can air movies from 2000 to present. Name the 2000s - 2010 channel Starz Millennium.

I have thought this for years.

The Encore HD channel had some great movies over the years. Not new but quality, and usually the only place to see an HD version of the movie. For example, Tora! Tora! Tora! was shown in HD on Encore a couple years before it was released on Blu-ray. Same with movies like Jaws, Lawrence or Arabia, etc.. I deleted them off my external HDD when they came out on BD and I bought them. So for older, quality movies, Encore is great. But the SD channels? Meh

Unless it has changed recently, the movies in the Encore Black channel are not necessarily directed to the black community. They can be films that can be run on any other channel but have a major black star in them. I've watched many movies on that channel. Use your guide to see the movie info to make your decision as to whether you want to watch or not.

I enjoy old Western movies as well, but the really good Westerns are shown on Turner Classic Movies. Encore mainly plays old Gene Autrey and Roy Rogers B-movies that were very low-budget. Have Gun Will Travel and old Jim Bowie tv shows, as well. Bonanza, the best of the tv shows, is now shown on at least 4 other cable channels besides Encore.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts