KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
Ok so if you listened to Satellite Nation last night you heard about the new Amiko Android based STB. Basically what we know so far is this:

• It is running Dual Core 1.5GHz A9 processor
  • 1 GB RAM 2GB VRAM
  • 8GB Storage for APPS
  • Running 4.3 JellyBean
  • Upgradeable ROM for future releases of Android
  • Simplified remote with motion sensing and an accelerometer( kinda like a wii or PS Move remote)
  • The remote also has a microphone to speak into, to control your box
  • microSD slot
  • OTG port
  • Built in 2.5" SATA drive bay
  • Built in WiFi
  • Spark APP Store
  • Google Play
  • Comes loaded with XMBC
  • DNLA, Airplay, Airshow and MirrorCast
  • Dolby DTS

Also it is designed to be very easy to use even if you have never had a device that ran Android. So if you are not a smart Phone or tablet user, you will not be over whelmed.

Satellite Streaming is native to the box unlike a lot of other android based receivers.

MSRP of around $230-$250

A few other points were talked about but nothing was definitive, so that is the facts. If I missed something or typo-ed something let me know.

My Thoughts,
Will it do 4:2:2? Joe says it has not been tested yet. However, I say most likely it will as other android boxes, from what I have heard, will not have a problem with it. Brian even said he felt the same way when he called in.
Hardware or Software Blind Scan? I am leaning toward software, but I don't know and he didn't say. I for one am looking forward to this box. I assume it will have some bugs and issues like any other product, but the team Joe works with is great. Also knowing Joe he won't pump it out as fast as he can, he will test the hell out of it before he releases it for sale.

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to mention a really nice feature. It comes with an APP to use your Phone or Tablet for a remote, so you will have a full keyboard and not have to purchase a mini keyboard to lay by your chair.

Everything I know I listed. Hopefully to find out more in a couple of weeks according to Joe.

One thing that puts me off on this device is that it’s tied to google and you have to create a google account to even use it, IE downloading/installing ANY apps (google play)

How is privacy addressed with this thing?

It’s Android so it’s gonna phone home and very likely suck your soul into the black hole called google.

I don’t trust a device that sits inside my lan that’s tied to google. I don’t trust google. At all. Google is evil.

Does it come in a working state that allows you to put it to full use immediately but without connecting it to the internet, ever?
I would be ok with it being on my lan as long as it can be disabled from accessing the outside world.

Simple answer is if your online then you have no privacy.

It's really that simple.

George Orwell was a visionary. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Simple answer is if your online then you have no privacy.

It's really that simple.

George Orwell was a visionary. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yes, I am aware of that. But I take extraordinary measures to hinder the data collection by the corporate parasites.

I make extensive use of ad blockers, anti-tracking plugins, and other methods to make it as hard as possible for them to pry into my business.
There is another thing I do called “poison the well” in which I feed the system false and misleading information when at all possible.

I was on Google+ when it was brand new and I was horrified to learn the hard way that it’s a stalkers wet dream come true.
And when they consolidated their “privacy” policies into one, I read it and was again horrified. I’ll bet no one here has actually sat down and carefully read, line by line, the entire google (lack of) “privacy” policy. I have. And that’s why I do not have any google accounts nor will I ever use any google services or products.

ANYWAY.... Back to my original question, can the device be used, fully utilized, without having to connect it to the internet? Are you are required to create a google account just to use the thing (IE install primary apps) ??
Does it come fully operational with all the required apps preinstalled?

Thanks..

P.S. I’m not trying to be a b**** but I do have genuine privacy concerns. I do not trust google at all and I am not the only one that does not.. Many people do not trust google at all so it would be nice if these issues could be addressed to allay these concerns. If the device is privacy friendly I would be interested in one. If it is not, and or if the issues can not be clearly addressed before the point of sale, I would not buy one.

:)

Attachments

• bustedtees.88caaabb-43ee-4eb3-8d47-7fcee159.gif
    bustedtees.88caaabb-43ee-4eb3-8d47-7fcee159.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 188
Come on, half the functions are internet based. Anything that uses the internet is going to read your brainwaves and watch you while you sleep lol. If you are afraid of the internet you probably don't want this or any advanced receiver as they all can see what you are doing and "phone home".

Google Play requires you have a gmail account to use. Spark Appstore shouldn't. We might make our own app for NA specific app quick installs but I doubt it would be needed. Its easy enough to find Netflix, Hulu and whatever else in Google Play.

If you already have a GMail account, you can use that same account for the device to access Google Play Store.
You could deny it's access to the internet, and just use it on your local network. But if you need / want to install an App, you have to login to Google.

Hopefully the blind scan function will be as good or better than in the Amiko MiniHD SE. Regardless of be fully uploaded with Internet Apps, this is still an FTA receiver. I guess:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)