The NHL Shoot-out: Love it, fix it, or dump it?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NHL Shoot-out: Love it, fix it, or dump it?

• Love the shoot-out (SO); current system is just fine

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Fix it: short-handed OT period(s) followed by a SO, if necessary (OTL is 1-point)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fix it: short-handed OT period(s) followed by SO (SO loss is 1-point)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Fix it: short-handed OT period(s) followed by SO (loser gets 0-points)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Hate everything about the SO; go back to W-L-T

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
We all know how we feel about the OT/Shoot-out issue. Anyway, I just wanted to solicit everyone's opinion...especially those who are less vocal about this issue.

Personally, as a hockey purest I would like to see the NHL dump the shoot-out (SO) and go back to the W-L-T system prior to 2005. However, since I am also a realist (i.e., this isn't going to happen) I would like to see the two short-handed OT periods being proposed by Red Wings management, with only a single point being awarded to a team that loses in a shoot-out...no points for an loss in OT.

Love it- don't get rid of it.

Between you, Jimbo, and the team's GM- what is it with Red Wings against the shootout?

Can't beat him- make em stop it.

Love it- don't get rid of it.

Between you, Jimbo, and the team's GM- what is it with Red Wings against the shootout?

Can't beat him- make em stop it.
Sabre, I think you forgot to vote. Anyway, I'm not sure about everyone in HockeyTown but I equate the shoot-out to the MLB permitting a Homerun Derby to decided games tied after 10-innings inning. I believe Metallica wrote a song about this called, "The Thing That Should Never Be." I just don't like it. Perhaps it is a HockeyTown thing.

I hate it. Get rid of it and bring back what they used to have.

Exactly....there was nothing broken about the W-L-T system in place for more than 100-years before Gary Buttman decided to mess-it-up.

I disagree, it was totally broken. The NHL was in the process of sliding off the sports landscape into total irrelevance.

Sandra

not the biggest fan of the shootout, but it is VASTLY superior to the dump-and-chase nonsense that preceded it. No incentive to win in the old system - go for the tie, and the safe point.

OT is only great in the playoffs, where there are no ties.

They had a similar poll in the Detroit News:

Hockey's OT

What overtime format would you like to see for NHL games that are tied at the end of regulation play?

Keep the 5-minute 4-on-4 overtime, followed by a shootout 12.15%

Play a longer 4-on-4 21.25%

Play a longer 5-on-5 8.21%

If no one scores 4-on-4, play 3-on-3 24.62%

Call it a tie and go home 30.93%

I've got a better idea (tell us) 2.84%

From The Detroit News: DETNEWS.COM | Forums | Red Wings Talk

No word as to how many had voted at this time.

Hockey, post-lockout, is more fun and the shootout is FUN. It gives us a WINNER.

I don't want to hear any of that stuff about the shootout making hockey not a team game. The team game stuff we had before the lockout was BORING! Nobody wanted to see that stuff. We had it your way for so long, and it bored me to tears.

Also, the people who are anti-shootout are Red Wings fans- coincidence? I think not.

Seems like sour grapes to me because your team lose more shootouts than they win. It's like the kid who gets picked on in the sandbox, cries about it to the teacher, and asks that the sandbox gets replaced by something else to benefit them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)