The NHL Shoot-out: Love it, fix it, or dump it?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NHL Shoot-out: Love it, fix it, or dump it?

• Love the shoot-out (SO); current system is just fine

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Fix it: short-handed OT period(s) followed by a SO, if necessary (OTL is 1-point)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fix it: short-handed OT period(s) followed by SO (SO loss is 1-point)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Fix it: short-handed OT period(s) followed by SO (loser gets 0-points)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Hate everything about the SO; go back to W-L-T

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
Hockey, post-lockout, is more fun and the shootout is FUN. It gives us a WINNER.

I don't want to hear any of that stuff about the shootout making hockey not a team game. The team game stuff we had before the lockout was BORING! Nobody wanted to see that stuff. We had it your way for so long, and it bored me to tears.

Also, the people who are anti-shootout are Red Wings fans- coincidence? I think not.

Seems like sour grapes to me because your team lose more shootouts than they win. It's like the kid who gets picked on in the sandbox, cries about it to the teacher, and asks that the sandbox gets replaced by something else to benefit them.

Why would Wings fans be worried ?
They have a quick team, nobody does it better than Datsuk, he can stickhandle around your whole team and make a play.

Being a Wings fan has NOTHING to do with the S.O. issues.

Your WAY off base when you say that it IS Hockey, hockey is a TEAM sport, not a basketball game where they play ONE ON ONE.

What they really need to do is NOT go to 3-23 after 5 minutes like they are discussing, but have at least a 10 minute sudden death OT, the OT currently is WAY to short... you just get settled in and the damn thing is over.

Why would Wings fans be worried ?
Your WAY off base when you say that it IS Hockey, hockey is a TEAM sport, not a basketball game where they play ONE ON ONE.

But what about when it's one shooter alone on the goalie? Isn't that one-on-one?

What they really need to do is NOT go to 3-23 after 5 minutes like they are discussing, but have at least a 10 minute sudden death OT, the OT currently is WAY to short... you just get settled in and the damn thing is over.

If they don't go back to ties, I'll be OK.

SabresRule said:
Hockey, post-lockout, is more fun and the shootout is FUN. It gives us a WINNER.

I don't want to hear any of that stuff about the shootout making hockey not a team game. The team game stuff we had before the lockout was BORING! Nobody wanted to see that stuff. We had it your way for so long, and it bored me to tears.

Also, the people who are anti-shootout are Red Wings fans- coincidence? I think not.

Seems like sour grapes to me because your team lose more shootouts than they win. It's like the kid who gets picked on in the sandbox, cries about it to the teacher, and asks that the sandbox gets replaced by something else to benefit them.

This isn't just a Wings issue...the NHL is getting ready to fix it because it's broken and the fans everywhere don't like it - at least not in its current form. Although I would like the shootout rolled-back (sorry I am in Wal-Mart right now), it's here to stay. Therefore the league has an obligation to fans, players and owners to unscrew the current system.

But what about when it's one shooter alone on the goalie? Isn't that one-on-one?

Yes, however, that doesn't happen very often.

If they don't go back to ties, I'll be OK.

They won't go back to ties, they will try to tweak it further and go from there, I hate the NASCAR rules constantly changing and HOPE the NHL doesn't follow suit.

I personally would like to see a 10 minute 4 on 4 OT, followed by a 5 man Shootout, like they do in international play.
I felt that was intriguing.

I couldn't stand the 3-0-2-0 standings from five years ago. However, I did prefer the Olympic scoring of:

3 points for regulation win
2 or 1 for overtime win/loss
0 for regulation loss.

I'm torn. I don't think a team deserves 2 points for a regulation win, but then can get 2 points for a shoot-out win.

Hockey games used to be darn near 3 hours long. I'm all for a 10 minute 4-on-4 overtime. For years I complained about the two-line pass and it's finally gone. Maybe I need to start complaining about OT and the points standings. :)

I personally would like to see a 10 minute 4 on 4 OT, followed by a 5 man Shootout, like they do in international play.

I've been trying to get a 10 minute OT ever since they changed the rules, 5 is not nearly enough time. Actually, a 20 minute period would not bother me at all.

I felt that was intriguing.

I couldn't stand the 3-0-2-0 standings from five years ago. However, I did prefer the Olympic scoring of:

3 points for regulation win
2 or 1 for overtime win/loss
0 for regulation loss.

I'm torn. I don't think a team deserves 2 points for a regulation win, but then can get 2 points for a shoot-out win.

Hockey games used to be darn near 3 hours long. I'm all for a 10 minute 4-on-4 overtime. For years I complained about the two-line pass and it's finally gone. Maybe I need to start complaining about OT and the points standings. :)

If they are going to give 2 points for a win, they should make it only 1 if it goes to a shootout, thus making the teams play instead of lollygagging around because they KNOW they already have so many points, just for being in OT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)