The North East storm, what have you done with your dish farm?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
Maybe I missed other threads about the storm, Sandy.

In a nutshell I put my dishes on the ground.
They were not pointed so no big loss.

5' mesh and a 40" solid.
The 36" needs remounting.

They are on PVC polls that only put them off the ground maybe a foot or so.

Good luck with the storm.

Good idea, especially if they're on plastic pipe! Who knows what kind of winds you may get. Better tie 'em down too or you may lose them.

For Isaac earlier this season, I brought my Ku-Band dishes indoors, so there was no danger from anything at all (except in the unlikely event that something would have happened to the house). The NPRMs, mounts, and motors all stayed on the roof as they did for Katrina. PortaBUD, my C-Band 6 foot panel dish, was too large to easily bring indoors. I took it down, removed the feed assembly and supports, and laid it face down in a protected corner of the backyard. I was a bit worried about it, especially when a friend who stayed in town jokingly told me on the phone that it was stuck in the roof of my neighbor's house. Needless to say, I was not amused, but when I returned it was undamaged right where I had put it.

Taking the reflectors down involves some work, but is probably the best bet to ensure the safety of the dishes. If your dishes are designed so that the reflector alone can be removed without removing the mount, by all means leave the mount up. The mount should remain stable, and you'll still be aimed properly after the storm has passed and you have reinstalled the reflector.

Thoughts and prayers are with all affected, stay safe and good luck!

5' mesh? Where did you get this? All I did was bring down the OTA antenna mounted on an alluminum pole.

Cheers, K

I just let them stay as they are. Everything outside is insured including the dish's (I have a special rider on my insurance) and if the dishes get damaged or destroyed then I get new ones. :)

I left the comtech 13 up. Hopefully no trees fall. The winegard 10 has a tether rope on it so I think it will be ok. I definitely need to look into insurance for my setup.

left both the motorized ku and fixed dish ku up.
Watching the weather channel on 72w ku now with the motorized.

All my dishes are up in mid Michigan, but the wind is HOWLING out there, and I hope this new 10 footer doesn't get crushed by a falling tree like my 6 foot Unimesh did... I had hernia surgery last Thursday, and am stuck on the couch for the week. I can't lift anything right now even if I wanted...

I didn't do anything to my motorized Ku dish on the roof... just left it up there. My whole house could blow away with the dish still attached properly to the roof trusses. We had 60 mph wind gusts here and sustained 30 mph wind, no problem.

I am happy to report that my 10' BUD and 1m KU are not harmed. I did see this on the local news. Very sad...

Attachments

• hallstead.jpg
    hallstead.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 173
I am happy to report that my 10' BUD and 1m KU are not harmed. I did see this on the local news. Very sad...

That's incredible! It actually doesn't look like it's even damaged in any real way though. Re-clip the mesh, and it appears it would be ready to go. It appears they put a larger pole over the smaller one, and that smaller one somehow pulled out completely, or was strapped to something that let go.

See what happens when you add dish or dtv to your cband mast it snaps like a slim jim. LOL

Lost power 4:30pm last night.
Using car batteries/inverter at night and generator during the day.
Was able to watch weather channel on 72w during the storm on the motorized 80cm.
on dialup now,which takes forever.

Hope it can last you a week... that's how long Consolidated Edison estimates it will take to get power back up in NY.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)