The Official DirecTV Missing HD Channel List

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TheTechGuru

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Texas
I'll start by making the list of DirecTV's SD only channels, if others could help with determining whether or not the channel has a HD master feed available it would be helpful as I have not been into C-Band enough lately to be up to date with what's up there.

The bold channels are channels I have personally experienced in HD via C-Band thus are known to me to be available to DirecTV in HD.

MAVTV
GSN
STYLE
REELZ
HSN
OXYGEN
CHILL
FXM
WE
DISCOVERY FIT & HEALTH
SOAP
DOCUMENTARY CHANNEL
LOGO
TVGN
OVATION
QVC
MILITARY CHANNEL
DISNEY WEST
BABY FIRST
HUB
SPROUT
CARTOON NETWORK WEST
BOOM
NICK WEST
NICK JR
NICK TOONS
TEEN NICK
ION WEST
CLOO
JEWELRY TV
GAC
TV1
CENTRIC
MTV2
VH1C
UP
FUSE
SONLIFE
RFDTV
NASA
FSTV
CSPAN
CSPAN2
DOGTV
CNBC WORLD
CURRENT
GOLDEN EAGLE
INSP
GOD TV
WORLD HARVEST TV
DAYSTAR
EWTN
THE CHURCH CHANNEL
TBN
THE WORD NETWORK
BYU
LINKTV
CHRISTIAN TV NET
TCT
NRB
HBO FAMILY WEST
ENCORE WEST
ENCORE LOVE
ENCORE WESTERNS
ENCORE SUSPENSE
ENCORE DRAMA
ENCORE FAMILY
THE MOVIE CHANNEL WEST
FLIX
SUNDANCE

Some of these, like the movie channels, are worth getting in hd. Some of the others are west coast feeds, some aren't even available in hd! Most of them are so far down the list that even if you added a dozen or more together they probably wouldn't be a blip on the wanted list.

So now were gonna compare D* to C-Band ?

\Like I've said for years, I'd rather have QUALITY over QUANTITY any time.

I don't need all these little often obscure channels in HD, just more channels you end up paying for that you don't watch.

Is the re REALLY a need for THESE in HD ? Just how much is the DEMAND for them.

GOLDEN EAGLE
INSP
GOD TV
WORLD HARVEST TV
DAYSTAR
EWTN
THE CHURCH CHANNEL
TBN
THE WORD NETWORK
BYU
LINKTV
CHRISTIAN TV NET
TCT
NRB

Every channel will eventually be in HD.

The bills will go up. At every provider offering cable television programming.

In the meantime, DirecTV does have a lot more to add. The provider did very well over the last year or so with what was added. There still remains a lot.

So now were gonna compare D* to C-Band ?

I don't believe that was the intention here at all. The OP simply pointed out that he had in fact seen those channels on c-band so he knew there were HD feeds and asked for confirmation if any of the others did also.

I agree with your quality over quantity but I think you misread the post.

You are missing one. Fox Sports Cincinnati (full time)

I have TCT HD as a local via the AM21... does that count? (BTW, the TCT HD channel is different than the TCT on ch 377, so I don't think that counts the same as the others).

I don't need all these little often obscure channels in HD, just more channels you end up paying for that you don't watch.
GOLDEN EAGLE
INSP
GOD TV
WORLD HARVEST TV
DAYSTAR

EWTN
THE CHURCH CHANNEL
TBN
THE WORD NETWORK
BYU
LINKTV
CHRISTIAN TV NET

TCT
NRB
Bolded channels above have no HD station

I mainly made this list to show what needs to happen to go 100% HD.

The SD only providers IMO should at a minimum start broadcasting in 16:9.

I don't understand why DirecTV does not broadcast NASA in HD being that it is already on Ka band and already in MPEG4.

Eventually providers will cut SD feeds and DirecTV will have to downconvert them if they don't want to broadcast them in HD, kinda like they already do for local channels.

GOLDEN EAGLE
INSP
GOD TV
WORLD HARVEST TV
DAYSTAR
EWTN
THE CHURCH CHANNEL
TBN
THE WORD NETWORK
BYU
LINKTV
CHRISTIAN TV NET
TCT
NRB

Probably my only request from that list would be BYU TV which plays a lot of commercial free family oriented movies and sporting events.

I admit to not getting around to posting here too often; this, despite the fact that I've been a member here at SatelliteGuys.us since 2006.

I wonder if there has ever been discussion on how it is DirecTV adds certain programmers in HD; meaning, the selection of programmers' high definition. Some of it doesn't make much sense. QVC HD, Galvision HD, and Playboy TV HD having nothing to do with each other; which is breaking no rule but, it can be said, that it would be strange to bring in QVC while not also adding Home Shopping Network in high definition. Last year, Do It Yourself Network was added in HD but, at the same time, it would have seemed sensible to also bring in Cooking Channel in high def. There were a few months' gap. That appears to be how DirecTV will deal with the home shopping programmers QVC and Home Shopping Network: one will get added on a particular date while the other is delayed for however many months.

:loco:

As long as all eventually get added in HD!

None of us is privy to the inner workings at Directv. Who knows all of what goes into channels selection. It probably involves things like contracts, money, bandwidth availability, money, consumer feedback, money, etc!

I don't believe that was the intention here at all. The OP simply pointed out that he had in fact seen those channels on c-band so he knew there were HD feeds and asked for confirmation if any of the others did also.

I agree with your quality over quantity but I think you misread the post.

Could be ... I just didn't want to see another pissing match thread.

I admit to not getting around to posting here too often; this, despite the fact that I've been a member here at SatelliteGuys.us since 2006.

I wonder if there has ever been discussion on how it is DirecTV adds certain programmers in HD; meaning, the selection of programmers' high definition. Some of it doesn't make much sense. QVC HD, Galvision HD, and Playboy TV HD having nothing to do with each other; which is breaking no rule but, it can be said, that it would be strange to bring in QVC while not also adding Home Shopping Network in high definition. Last year, Do It Yourself Network was added in HD but, at the same time, it would have seemed sensible to also bring in Cooking Channel in high def. There were a few months' gap. That appears to be how DirecTV will deal with the home shopping programmers QVC and Home Shopping Network: one will get added on a particular date while the other is delayed for however many months.

:loco:

As long as all eventually get added in HD!

I think it mainly has to do with who the Parent company is and where they sit in the current contract as well as the amount of viewers each would bring. At least I would look at it that way.

None of us is privy to the inner workings at Directv. Who knows all of what goes into channels selection. It probably involves things like contracts, money, bandwidth availability, money, consumer feedback, money, etc!

You took the words right off my fingertips ... (and I went ahead and posted it anyways because I posted before I got to yours !)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)