The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

Well, so much for thinking I might go through Amazon the next time.
I don't really get it. All other HBO shows on Amazon Prime Channel released the On Demand version at the same time as the "live" airing. Their official release notes said the the Deadwood Movie would be available at 1:00 AM, June 1, 2019. As of 1:42 PM EDT, it's still not there!

I'm thinking massive error, but where do I complain? "Dear Mister Bezos..."

I don't really get it. All other HBO shows on Amazon Prime Channel released the On Demand version at the same time as the "live" airing. Their official release notes said the the Deadwood Movie would be available at 1:00 AM, June 1, 2019. As of 1:42 PM EDT, it's still not there!

I'm thinking massive error, but where do I complain? "Dear Mister Bezos..."
LOL (not really :mad:) it's UP at 1:45 PM.

Well, so much for thinking I might go through Amazon the next time.

It is there:
Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 2.57.27 PM.png

Are you sure? I think it is called Prime Video Channels.
I'll try that next time (if there IS a next time). Silly me, I looked under 'A' for Amazon.

So let me tell you another weird thing. So I said it was up at 1:45. Well, that was on this computer checking the Amazon website. So I clicked "Your Watchlist" so it would be first under "My Videos" on the Fire 4K Stick (most recent/top-of-the-line) version, turned off the computer and went into the living room to watch it on the big screen.

Lord almighty, it was not on my Fire 4K Stick. I clicked sync my account and then restart and when it came back up, it STILL wasn't there.

So I start up my Fire Tablet I keep with my remotes, go to the Amazon Prime App and, by jingo, it was there. Still not on the mighty Fire 4K Stick, though. Luckily, there was a selection on the tablet that said "Play here or On TV?" I pressed "On TV" and it was finally playing on the big TV.

As of now (5:17), it is STILL not on the Fire Stick under the HBO Channel and will show up only under "Recently Played".

Weird, huh?

BTW, great movie. Will cancel HBO soon.

Reactions: ncted and KAB
I'll try that next time (if there IS a next time). Silly me, I looked under 'A' for Amazon.

So let me tell you another weird thing. So I said it was up at 1:45. Well, that was on this computer checking the Amazon website. So I clicked "Your Watchlist" so it would be first under "My Videos" on the Fire 4K Stick (most recent/top-of-the-line) version, turned off the computer and went into the living room to watch it on the big screen.

Lord almighty, it was not on my Fire 4K Stick. I clicked sync my account and then restart and when it came back up, it STILL wasn't there.

So I start up my Fire Tablet I keep with my remotes, go to the Amazon Prime App and, by jingo, it was there. Still not on the mighty Fire 4K Stick, though. Luckily, there was a selection on the tablet that said "Play here or On TV?" I pressed "On TV" and it was finally playing on the big TV.

As of now (5:17), it is STILL not on the Fire Stick under the HBO Channel and will show up only under "Recently Played".

Weird, huh?

BTW, great movie. Will cancel HBO soon.

I think this has something to do with how Amazon's software works. Large, distributed data structures like Amazon (and Netflix) have to run for applications like this update asynchronously across multiple datacenters which are spread all over the world. The larger your dataset is, the longer it can take to update. The alternative is the software doesn't scale as well when traffic increases. Anyway, Amazon has one of, if not the largest streaming catalogs between the stuff you can rent, buy, channels, Prime, etc. which represents a huge challenge. I suspect there is an algorithm somewhere that could use some tweaking, especially given how more than one episodes of GoT became available before they should have.

I think this has something to do with how Amazon's software works. Large, distributed data structures like Amazon (and Netflix) have to run for applications like this update asynchronously across multiple datacenters which are spread all over the world. The larger your dataset is, the longer it can take to update. The alternative is the software doesn't scale as well when traffic increases. Anyway, Amazon has one of, if not the largest streaming catalogs between the stuff you can rent, buy, channels, Prime, etc. which represents a huge challenge. I suspect there is an algorithm somewhere that could use some tweaking, especially given how more than one episodes of GoT became available before they should have.
That's what I was going to say.

:biggrin

I'm convinced some shows were only meant for one season and are perfect that way. Same for movies that need no sequel. But $$$ and management asks for more.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

John from Cincinnati or Generation Kill for examples, although technically the later was a “mini-series”.

I finally got around to watching Band of Brothers, and I plan to watch Chernobyl, The Pacific, Big Little Lies Season 2, Silicon Valley's next season, Barry, Deadwood, and maybe even finish The Wire one day. Seems to me HBO has a good back catalog as well as current and in-development content at the moment. Hopefully AT&T doesn't ruin that.

Master plan for two month's of Now went out the window when my wife saw Big Little Lies was coming back in a couple of weeks.
Yes, I find that there are just too many good series on HBO to let it go. I'm not using HBO for movies so much, I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime, but I find the series very worthwhile.

Master plan for two month's of Now went out the window when my wife saw Big Little Lies was coming back in a couple of weeks.
The trick to managing your HBO subscription is to lock your wife in a closet and cancel HBO. In a few months, when you let her out to binge watch the full 2nd season of Big Little Lies, she’ll love you for it! … or maybe not :eeek

FWIW my wife agreed to cancel HBO now and resubscribe for a month later this summer/fall, to binge watch Big Little Lies, catch up on other HBO series, new movies, etc.. This didn’t require bondage, closets, etc. because after several years of streaming, we now greatly prefer to binge watch a season over a few evenings rather than wait for week to week episodes. That's why we prefer Amazon Prime's method of releasing the full season of their "originals". Of course as Prime members we have already paid-up-front, so they don't need to "string us along".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts