The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Because I've heard the claims before...
* Plenty of satellites for coverage
* No problems with service.

Manufacturers will claim anything. When push comes to shove, I have doubts about whether it will function in a practical way. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

SpaceX has a pretty good record so far of doing what they say they'll do...

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks for the tip. That plan is network managed, meaning it can slow to a halt during peak times, whereas the DSL is consistene. Still, its a good deal for RV'ers and people with no other options.

If Verizon's network prioritization works anything like AT&T's, we've never seen any slowdowns on busy towers that were any different from the slowdowns we typically see any time a tower is really busy. It has never interfered with streaming on our Firestick.

How many broadband companies can you access? DSL has been left in the dust and it's either a cable TV company alone, or in some cases (such as mine) a fiber company too. Nobody else is competitive. I can chose from Cox, or Verizon/FIOS, but that's it. This competition is inadequate to keep my costs low, since they look at each other's price tiers and match them.
Isn't that primarily due to decisions at the local political level? Giving franchises to certain providers and keeping competitors out?

Reactions: D. Manley
Thanks for the tip. That plan is network managed, meaning it can slow to a halt during peak times, whereas the DSL is consistent. Still, its a good deal for RV'ers and people with no other options.

If you're getting 65Mbps on a postpaid plan, I don't think you'd have to worry much about deprioritization at your location. Still 20Mb DSL for $50 isn't bad if it suits your needs.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Isn't that primarily due to decisions at the local political level? Giving franchises to certain providers and keeping competitors out?

Yes. Or at least it was. Because of the enormous cost to build the infrastructure for Cable when it first started, and in return for local oversight, Cable companies were given exclusive rights. I think in most cases others can now come in but can they afford to?

Reactions: TheKrell
If Verizon's network prioritization works anything like AT&T's, we've never seen any slowdowns on busy towers that were any different from the slowdowns we typically see any time a tower is really busy. It has never interfered with streaming on our Firestick.

There are some other issues to consider, though, if one is thinking about using this as their primary ISP at home. I have had issues using certain streaming services since the IP addresses Verizon use are often located far away. Sometimes I'll get IP's that are hundreds of miles away. Streaming services want an IP that is at your home location. Are there work-around's? Sure. You could pay for a VPN, but that's another $5-$10 per month.

Also, there isn't any Verizon Prepaid jetpack that I'm aware of that provides an ethernet connection, which I have to have as part of my setup. Is there a work-around? Sure, I can use a wireless repeater that has ethernet ports. But if the connection is lost, it requires a reboot.

I think the new Verizon unlimited prepaid jetpack is a good idea for travelers, and maybe people with no other option at home. But my DSL is so reliable and consistent (and cheaper), I wouldn't change at the present time.

There are some other issues to consider, though, if one is thinking about using this as their primary ISP at home. I have had issues using certain streaming services since the IP addresses Verizon use are often located far away. Sometimes I'll get IP's that are hundreds of miles away. Streaming services want an IP that is at your home location. Are there work-around's? Sure. You could pay for a VPN, but that's another $5-$10 per month.

Also, there isn't any Verizon Prepaid jetpack that I'm aware of that provides an ethernet connection, which I have to have as part of my setup. Is there a work-around? Sure, I can use a wireless repeater that has ethernet ports. But if the connection is lost, it requires a reboot.

I think the new Verizon unlimited prepaid jetpack is a good idea for travelers, and maybe people with no other option at home. But my DSL is so reliable and consistent (and cheaper), I wouldn't change at the present time.

Why and How to Use Google's Public DNS - DNSimple Blog
Has fixed any problems I was having with websites, streaming etc.

Why and How to Use Google's Public DNS - DNSimple Blog
Has fixed any problems I was having with websites, streaming etc.

I tried that as well, and still had issues, especially with MLB.tv

They look at your IP address as your true location. You can call and plead with them and they MIGHT remove the blackouts, but it's a pain. They obviously have never heard of the concept that some ISP's don't use local IP addresses (or they don't care).

Reactions: reddice
I tried that as well, and still had issues, especially with MLB.tv

They look at your IP address as your true location. You can call and plead with them and they MIGHT remove the blackouts, but it's a pain. They obviously have never heard of the concept that some ISP's don't use local IP addresses (or they don't care).

Geofencing is a real problem, and only about 80% accurate, so, yeah.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Geofencing is a real problem, and only about 80% accurate, so, yeah.

Yep. Verizon will routinely give me an IP based in St. Louis, which is about 250 miles away, and sometimes Wichita, which is 150 miles away. I've also seen Chicago and Tulsa. MLB.tv then blacks out games I should be eligible for because it thinks I'm in St. Louis. Beyond aggravating.

Largely yes, but note the big caveat Tampa points out below.
Yes. Or at least it was. Because of the enormous cost to build the infrastructure for Cable when it first started, and in return for local oversight, Cable companies were given exclusive rights. I think in most cases others can now come in but can they afford to?

My answer to that last question is, "apparently not", since even such big boys as Verizon and Google haven't exactly cabled up that many homes with fiber.

Largely yes, but note the big caveat Tampa points out below.

My answer to that last question is, "apparently not", since even such big boys as Verizon and Google haven't exactly cabled up that many homes with fiber.
And shouldn't those same local politicians be pressuring the local franchises to build out their franchise areas? This is where the real failure is taking place. Not to get political but the politicos need to hold Google and Verizon (and all the others) up to their negotiated deals and force the build outs.

Reactions: ncted and TheKrell
And shouldn't those same local politicians be pressuring the local franchises to build out their franchise areas? This is where the real failure is taking place. Not to get political but the politicos need to hold Google and Verizon (and all the others) up to their negotiated deals and force the build outs.
Not just franchisee's but in many cases the big boys were provided money to expand broadband to rural areas and have failed to live up to the program requirements despite taking the money.

Reactions: ncted
Verizon promised us FiOS in Durham for years, and even ran a test with a few addresses downtown. Then they up and sold the market to Frontier, who, admittedly, is actually rolling out Fiber...slowly. In the mean time, Google promised to overlay fiber everywhere in town, but is taking their sweet time despite the City bending over backwards for them. AT&T meanwhile has been quietly overlaying fiber over almost the entire city (which has not AT&T copper infrastructure) with no impetus other than their DirecTV acquisition conditions forcing them to roll out more fiber to the home.

Apparently, the SIM works in a T1114 Router, should anyone be interested:

Swap Verizon prepaid Jetpack Eclisis sim into T1114 router

A couple of years ago Verizon kicked a bunch of users off for putting their unlimited phone plan sims in T1114's.

A couple of years ago Verizon kicked a bunch of users off for putting their unlimited phone plan sims in T1114's.

That's not what is being suggested here, though. Verizon is now selling unlimited prepaid hotspot plans specifically for hotspot devices, which the T1114 is. I'd be curious to see if it works.

The only affordable choice for broadband in my town is DSL. It's 20mb down 1.5/up for $49/month.

I can get 65mbps on the Verizon tower in my back yard, but that won't work for unlimited home broadband.

If it works for you and it's your only choice who am I to argue. My point actually was if you have fiber or cable available, why would anyone even think about opting for DSL, especially when like I said, it is essentially a dead technology in the US.

I typically look at things for a unit cost perspective.

You pay $2.45/Mb. Ignoring my bundling discount my cost would be ~ $0.13/Mb. If I had Standard Internet, I'd be paying $0.66/Mb. That is irrelevant to you, I know that, but from my perspective a 20 Mb connection for $49 is not that great.