The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

Business. Running two separate platforms for a singular service is not a smart business mood.
And yet it could be argued that with the various models of Hopper and Wally, they are still running separate platforms, since not all of the apps or features from the more advanced models are available on the cheaper models.

Reactions: TheKrell
And yet it could be argued that with the various models of Hopper and Wally, they are still running separate platforms, since not all of the apps or features from the more advanced models are available on the cheaper models.
It's likely that all the features are there, and a hardware detection routine determines which ones are active. That's a pretty common programming practice that makes rolling out updates more efficient since no advance version detection is needed.

It's likely that all the features are there, and a hardware detection routine determines which ones are active. That's a pretty common programming practice that makes rolling out updates more efficient since no advance version detection is needed.
True. It just seems like some of the decisions about which features are active are completely arbitrary. For example, there is no reason why the Hopper Duo could not do PTAT, since it already has the ability to record the four major networks using only one tuner. The only possible reason I could think of is the smaller hard drive size in the Hopper Duo compared to the other Hoppers, so maybe Dish was concerned about filling up the hard drive too quickly. Even then, though, some limited version of PTAT (such as only storing the events for two days) could have been included, since that is one of the settings available on the other Hoppers that have PTAT.

True. It just seems like some of the decisions about which features are active are completely arbitrary. For example, there is no reason why the Hopper Duo could not do PTAT, since it already has the ability to record the four major networks using only one tuner. The only possible reason I could think of is the smaller hard drive size in the Hopper Duo compared to the other Hoppers, so maybe Dish was concerned about filling up the hard drive too quickly. Even then, though, some limited version of PTAT (such as only storing the events for two days) could have been included, since that is one of the settings available on the other Hoppers that have PTAT.
One word: "Marketing". Dish would rather see H3's out there than Duo's...

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Well, unless Dish is suddenly going to start coming up with apps for the ViP receivers, Dish had better be pushing those subscribers to a Hopper or Wally so they can actually have access to the HBO app. (This is assuming that the Wally would even have access to it, and Dish does not exactly have a good track record of adding new streaming apps to that model, either. Perhaps it is time for them to come up with a new version of the Wally?)
It's the perk of renewing our contracts and upgrading our equipment. Outside of receiving your content, I think Dish is all but done with the VIP except for the 211k or 211z, which is used for tailgating and those who travel in RVs. People in those circumstances are not looking apps.

I'm on the Hopper 1 and would never see it.

It's the perk of renewing our contracts and upgrading our equipment. Outside of receiving your content, I think Dish is all but done with the VIP except for the 211k or 211z, which is used for tailgating and those who travel in RVs. People in those circumstances are not looking apps.

I'm on the Hopper 1 and would never see it.
My point was that people would be looking for the app if it were the only way to access the programming through the Dish system. With something completely new that has never been available through Dish before, it might not be a big deal to require a newer receiver to get the app. For HBO (even though it is technically not the same HBO) people who used to get the linear channels would scream bloody murder if HBO returned to Dish in any fashion, only to still be withheld from their receiver model. That is why Dish needs to work on getting as many of these subscribers converted to a Wally as possible, and also work on actually adding any new streaming apps to the Wally.

I still think they need to design a co-op with Roku or Amazon for a Dish streaming device. I had a name for it and everything, and unfortunately I can’t remember it.

I honestly don’t think the HBO and Cinemax channels will come back until it comes time to negotiate the Turner channels (CNN, Cartoon Network, TBS, etc.) as they are all owned by AT&T now. And AT&T could use the Turner channels as leverage to also include the HBO and Cinemax channels as well since cable/satellite providers can’t really do without the Turner channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts