The "perfect" SlimLine apartment balcony install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I wouldnt worry about grounding it. its very unlikely that you would take a lightning strike the way it is positioned. just use some type of surge supressor to protect the equipment.

Finally! I have been looking for a way to get my dish installed on my balcony for over a month since the first installation. The installer used a 2" fence post and strapped it to a slat on my balcony railing which is only nailed into the rails on 2 points. Needless to say if there is a bit of wind, I get a 771. I've even noticed that the dish had spun the post in the wind.

I ended up buying 3 U-Bolts to try and decrease the chance for the spinning, but it instead allows the slat to move around... BOOM... 771!
I have an installer comming out Friday to install it again... D* CSR said they would probably use the bucket-o-crete method, but I'm doubting that will work with the amount of wind I get.
Think I should postpone the install and order the NPR6A? After all I'm locked in at mid 80's right now profided it doesn't rain.

Think I should postpone the install and order the NPR6A? After all I'm locked in at mid 80's right now profided it doesn't rain.
Of course I am biased but I can't think of a better solution for a balcony for now and in the future than the NPR6A. It's too bad that the installers and D* aren't aware of it. I had to tell Solid Signal about it too and they are going to start carrying it.

Are you saying that you are an installer and you don't know that there are satellites at 99 and 103 that have been in use for over a year?

Chip,
Yeah the spec changes. I have installed 5 LNB dishes and HD receivers where the customer had NO HD TVs. I have rolled on service calls where the local spot beam was not turned on. Apparently DTV turned on HD on the 119 for superbowl weekend and then turned it off. The customer called for a repoint. When I called the CSR tech folks they said it had been on and off. They didn't know when it would be on. The 99 & 103 have been promised for awhile.

Joe

Chip,
Yeah the spec changes. I have installed 5 LNB dishes and HD receivers where the customer had NO HD TVs. I have rolled on service calls where the local spot beam was not turned on. Apparently DTV turned on HD on the 119 for superbowl weekend and then turned it off. The customer called for a repoint. When I called the CSR tech folks they said it had been on and off. They didn't know when it would be on. The 99 & 103 have been promised for awhile.

Joe

Uhhh.... swiss cheese anyone for this story?

I am getting a slimline installed and my apt is making me put it on a pole instead of where my current dish is. I need to go to Home Depot and get the pole. Can someone tell me what diameter pole I need to get where the slimline will slide on it nice and snug? Thanks for your help.

I am getting a slimline installed and my apt is making me put it on a pole instead of where my current dish is. I need to go to Home Depot and get the pole. Can someone tell me what diameter pole I need to get where the slimline will slide on it nice and snug? Thanks for your help.

2" Fence Post. Just make sure they install the locking screw between the dish mount and the pole (pre-drilled hole on the dish.) I've noticed on my install that this is a useful piece. I removed it trying to fix the poor job the first installer did (see my story previous in this thread.)

After repositioning the dish, my battery died in my drill and I forgot to put it back in after the recharge completed... next rainy / windy day... I got to re-aim all over again!

You're not going to find a pole with an exact diameter of 2 inches t Home Depot or Lowes.

You best bet is to get a chain link fence line post with a 1-5/8 inch outside diameter and sl a farmer's green "T' section ost inside to strngthen it or goto a1-1/4" diameter galvanized schedule 40 pipe or rigid conduit with a 1-5/8 nch actual diameter.

The, I'd use an adapter like this one on eBay to get an actual two inch OD to mont the dish.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150162366633&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=005

I'm glad I don't live in an apartment anymore, since morons are grounding stuff inside of electrical outlets. At best, it is load side, and not grounded per the NEC--so what is the point anyway? Don't like your neighbors, so you put their lives and property at risk?

I'm glad I don't live in an apartment anymore, since morons are grounding stuff inside of electrical outlets. At best, it is load side, and not grounded per the NEC--so what is the point anyway? Don't like your neighbors, so you put their lives and property at risk?

I am a master electrician. I don't understand your comment. The most dangerous thing is a "bootleg ground." THis is where the neutral terminal is connected to the ground on a recptacle.

My situation is a little different. My balcony at my condo faces east into some trees. I am in an end unit. If it turn to the right(south) there is a small open grass area and then the next building. To get a good southwest view would I need to mount a pole on the patio that clears the roof two stories above? Or can the dish be mounted on the right(south) side deck facing the open grass area at an angle to try and catch a southwest view? Or is a ground mounting (provided the HOA approves it) back behind the condo with a clear view of southwest the only option? Thanks for any input. Ask me for more details if needed.

Need some advice here... Upgrading to Slimline Dish from 3lnb dish, in about 10 days.

I have a second floor apartment, right now my 3 LNB is ziptied on the outside of the railing for my balcony. The dish is pointed almost parallel with the face of the building/balcony, it is about 10 degrees from parallel outward.

If I was to install the Slimline, I would think since the dish needs to hang out of the balcony to point sideways, I would need some type of pole mount.

Would the installer let me U-Clamp a pole to the railing and he simply attaches the dish to that with an arm? My balcony is a metal railing, similar to this

Is there a possibility to install it in a 5 gallon bucket with concrete on a pole, or is that too unstable/flimsy?

I don't think I could do anything like the original poster did with the concrete bricks, because the apartments are fairly picky with things on peoples balconies... They forced me to remove my HD Antenna Channel Master 4228 which I mounted on a pole on a tripod about 4 feet high.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I want to tell you to do a Google search on OTARD, but any place that fussy you have to wonder about having your dish extend beyond your deck/personal area.

I took some pictures and I think I have a solution, I just hope the installer has no issues with it. I can put a 4' 1-5/8" post butted right against the metal railing which is pretty sturdy, doesn't move unless you really put heavy pressure on it. I will u-clamp it to the railing very tightly and he can simply mount an adapter to fit the 1-5/8" post, and put an arm on the end which will push the dish hopefully far enough outside the balcony to be where my current dish sits.

Here are some pictures of my current dish and placement of the pole (not the 4' pole but a temporary short one to show the placement)

1. First picture shows my current dish and how its mounted
2. Second picture, shows possible location one on the railing for the pole
3. Third picture shows another possible location for the pole

Attachments

• DSC00513.JPG
    DSC00513.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 501
  • DSC00519.JPG
    DSC00519.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 469
  • DSC00523.JPG
    DSC00523.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 416
I want to tell you to do a Google search on OTARD, but any place that fussy you have to wonder about having your dish extend beyond your deck/personal area.

Thanks, I sent them a copy of the FCC rules, saying that my antenna was allowed. They sent me back a letter highlighting the 39" (IIRC) max size, which if measured diagonally on the 4228, but not if you measure the length or width did it exceed that. But diagonally it did exceed 39 inches barely. I figured they were going to be impossible so i tried to set up the antenna inside by apartment in an unused area, and it worked so I figured I would be the nice guy and not fight them and just leave it indoors, although I do get a few laughs when people come over lol.

It has been a while since I read through it but I’m pretty sure the 39” is only for dishes and not antenna. You’re probably better off taking the high road if it meets your needs.

From the pics, looks like that will be close. Installer will verify. The 99 sat is 2 degrees to left of 101. Looks like the only thing holding your current dish up wire-ties…wow. Guess that is what you posted. So that’s why they make all those dumb rules.

From the pics, looks like that will be close. Installer will verify. The 99 sat is 2 degrees to left of 101. Looks like the only thing holding your current dish up wire-ties…wow. Guess that is what you posted. So that’s why they make all those dumb rules.

To the left darn, well I guess I will hope it clears barely!

I could have used some u-clamps for my current dish, I have in the past, but I saw one installer just use some thicker zip-ties once, and I have done several installations with the triple LNB dish with them, they are fairly strong, and I use like 10+ of them, it would take some one swinging off the Dish with their full body weight for it to potentially break.

About the antenna, I knew there was rule where I was for sure allowed, but they were not budging, and I had just moved in. My apartment is also right beside the front office and the front gate, so all potential renters would be seeing it when coming in, and I"m sure the management were fairly pissed about that lol.

So clamping that post to the railing is ok? Would the installer not install it like that possibly? (if the sats were all lined up of course).

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)