The "perfect" SlimLine apartment balcony install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Chip,
Yeah the spec changes. I have installed 5 LNB dishes and HD receivers where the customer had NO HD TVs. I have rolled on service calls where the local spot beam was not turned on. Apparently DTV turned on HD on the 119 for superbowl weekend and then turned it off. The customer called for a repoint. When I called the CSR tech folks they said it had been on and off. They didn't know when it would be on. The 99 & 103 have been promised for awhile.

Joe

Where are you located?

So clamping that post to the railing is ok? Would the installer not install it like that possibly? (if the sats were all lined up of course).

The new dish is about 2x the size of your current one, office should love that. It’s hard to say without being there. Depends if it’s possible and how creative/patient/”hungry” tech is.

I still stand by the non-penetrating mount as the best possible solution. If the office doesn't like the look of the concrete blocks, then it's simple enough to cover them up with something and put a plant on it or whatever. That way you're not touching their railing, which if they're picky about what's on your balcony, I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate a Slimline dish tied to the railing. Like it was mentioned, it's a lot bigger and heavier than your current dish.

I still stand by the non-penetrating mount as the best possible solution. If the office doesn't like the look of the concrete blocks, then it's simple enough to cover them up with something and put a plant on it or whatever. That way you're not touching their railing, which if they're picky about what's on your balcony, I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate a Slimline dish tied to the railing. Like it was mentioned, it's a lot bigger and heavier than your current dish.

That's true, but I'm going to try it with the pole first. If the installer doesn't want to do it, I guess I will have to buy the non-penetrating mount. I can hide it somewhat like you said.

If the installer says he can't do it with the way I have it, and I tell him I'm going to buy this non-penetrating mount, will he come back/reschedule my install again free? Or will directv charge me to come back again?

Thanks, I sent them a copy of the FCC rules, saying that my antenna was allowed. They sent me back a letter highlighting the 39" (IIRC) max size, which if measured diagonally on the 4228, but not if you measure the length or width did it exceed that. But diagonally it did exceed 39 inches barely. I figured they were going to be impossible so i tried to set up the antenna inside by apartment in an unused area, and it worked so I figured I would be the nice guy and not fight them and just leave it indoors, although I do get a few laughs when people come over lol.

I would have payed them back by putting 5 seperate 24" dishes up (law doesn't limit the # of dishes).. see which one they like more :)

If the installer says he can't do it with the way I have it, and I tell him I'm going to buy this non-penetrating mount, will he come back/reschedule my install again free? Or will directv charge me to come back again?
In my case they couldn't install it the first time so they rescheduled the appointment. It didn't cost me anything extra.

Hope this helps somebody else. Bring on those HD channels!
Jeff

I was googling "patio slimline" and I just wanted to drop a note in appreciation with your pictures and your link to that non-penetrating mount...Which also seems to have the best price.

I'm on the top floor of a San Francisco apartment with a North-facing patio (with no overhang)...And that rig seems to perfect for the 6'-8' pole mount I need for the slimline dish to just peep over the roof to point to the South.

It's a great solution, and completely within the FCC regs for a rental patio install.

I also get a bit of satisfaction for putting up a great, big, ugly dish install on that patio after I was served with a notice a couple years ago from the management company to remove a 20 gallon cooler I left out on the patio because it was "aesthetically unpleasing." :neener

To the OP nice install !

With the mount you are using you could make it more compact by turning the non pen mount around 180* and lower the dish mount "U" bolts to just above the braces on the main mast. that would put the 5LNB assembly just above the porch railing. More compact and less dish showing on the out side of the building.

attachment.php

With the mount you are using you could make it more compact by turning the non pen mount around 180* and lower the dish mount "U" bolts to just above the braces on the main mast. that would put the 5LNB assembly just above the porch railing. More compact and less dish showing on the out side of the building.
Thanks for the thought. In my case it won't work though because the building's roof overhang blocks the line of sight if the dish is in toward the patio more. Hence, I needed to place it out from the railing in order to get all satellites.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts