The PlayStation Vue Thread

Main issue I have, tested using the Roku 4 was no local networks. Don't care about the news but with networks broadcasting live college and pro FB games can't see this working. Love the pricing and the SD content blows Directv's over-compressed unwatchable junk away. Directv should be ashamed of the SD content they charge premium for.

By SD content, are you talking about the airing of old shows, movies, and sports rebroadcasts that pre-date the HD era? I didn't think PS Vue had any SD channels per se, though I know some channels carry a lot of older content that isn't remastered. I recon the reason the quality would be better than on satellite is that PS Vue doesn't have a separate SD tier where the transmission is different in some way from the HD content. (I had actually stopped watching -- forgotten about, really -- the SD channels my cable company still carried by the time I cut the cord.)

Regardless, HD content on PS Vue does leave a bit to be desired. It's not unwatchable and I can live with it. But flipping between the OTA broadcast and PS Vue broadcast of an exhibition NFL game last night (not to mention the Olympics this past week) tells me I'll still be watching any sports carried by the big four networks OTA rather than on PS Vue as much as I can. The only problem will be when I want to channel surf, for example, games during college football season, when some are on the networks and others are on the cable channels I can only get wih Vue.

By SD content, are you talking about the airing of old shows, movies, and sports rebroadcasts that pre-date the HD era? I didn't think PS Vue had any SD channels per se, though I know some channels carry a lot of older content that isn't remastered. I recon the reason the quality would be better than on satellite is that PS Vue doesn't have a separate SD tier where the transmission is different in some way from the HD content.
Yes even the older SD material looks good being sent at 720P unlike the satellite 480i full of artifacts.

So amazon is now rolling out an update for the Fire TV. Version 5.2.1.1. I have it and can confirm it fixes the 60 fps and lip sync bugs on Vue! So that is pretty awesome!

Reactions: Zookster
Question about Vue programming. Local stations are not available where we live but there is NBC, ABC, and Fox on Demand. Does anyone else fall into this category and do the On a Demand channels get the most current shows and episodes? Also, it seems if you want CBS content, must have their CBS Acess as a stand alone for $6 per month. Is that accurate?

I know I can watch these over the air but I really like to watch them on my own time and as of now, I don't want to invest in a TIVO.

I don't have locals through vue either, but I do have a few tivos. One we paid by the year and one with lifetime. So I don't use the on demand.

However, I will be glad to check it for you if you want to me to

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I don't have locals through vue either, but I do have a few tivos. One we paid by the year and one with lifetime. So I don't use the on demand.

However, I will be glad to check it for you if you want to me to

I can check, but I thought someone might know off top if their head.

So, you just get those over the air I assume?

That is correct. A good alternative and or backup is a lifetime tivo series 3. No monthly fee and you're good to go for networks. Assuming you have good ota reception that is.

You can find them on ebay for about $150

I can check, but I thought someone might know off top if their head.

So, you just get those over the air I assume?
I never used the networks On Demand with Vue because I used either Hulu or the network apps themselves, but the current network episodes would appear pretty much around the same time that they'd appear on the network apps. In other words, there was no long wait at all, they'd show up the morning/day after broadcast.

I never used the networks On Demand with Vue because I used either Hulu or the network apps themselves, but the current network episodes would appear pretty much around the same time that they'd appear on the network apps. In other words, there was no long wait at all, they'd show up the morning/day after broadcast.

I've considered Hulu but if I can get them on demand and CBS isn't part of Hulu, is Hulu worth the price, $11.99 for no commercials?

Immediately after I cut the cord, I used Vue's On Demand channels to finish watching a couple shows on the networks I had been following. I don't watch a lot of network programing these days, but from what I've seen, the On Demand selection looks pretty complete for primetime content. You usually get the last four to five episodes, just like watching network online. PQ was pretty good as well, perhaps slightly better than live -- at least the particular show I watched: Gotham.

In other news, I noticed his weekend that the Comcast channels (NBC network, news and sports channels, Syfy, USA, Bravo, etc.) are no longer "mobile restricted" on Android. I stopped bothering with Vue on Android since about a third of what I watched aired on those channels it seemed. So this is great news for me. I assume this wasn't a temporary thing for the Olympics since it's still that way today (not restricted). I'm even able to access older recorded shows on Syfy.

In other news, I noticed his weekend that the Comcast channels (NBC network, news and sports channels, Syfy, USA, Bravo, etc.) are no longer "mobile restricted" on Android. I stopped bothering with Vue on Android since about a third of what I watched aired on those channels it seemed. So this is great news for me. I assume this wasn't a temporary thing for the Olympics since it's still that way today (not restricted). I'm even able to access older recorded shows on Syfy.
Hmm, thanks for the update, I had quit checking. Scott, this was one of your biggest gripes was it not? It appears that all of the channels are now available for remote view.

Edit: Lets see if this holds true. There are still channels listed on the PS Vue website as having mobile restrictions on them, but I checked all of them on my phone and I do get a live feed for them.

In my few minutes of playing with it, I got to admit I am a little disappointed with it as many channels are "Mobile Restricted" including all the channels from NBCUniversal. This is sad because I am on my WIFI Network but won't let me watch it becasue my phone is considered a mobile device. I could see maybe if I was on the Cell network to watch.

Might want to give it another look Scott, this seems to be a non issue now.

I'm really starting to consider a move to all streaming, now that I have cable internet.

I grabbed a flick off Amazon last night (new release movie in 1080p/24 HD) and it was quite enjoyable. I own it for about $10 less than the disc, and it is in the cloud. The $35/month Vue plan has everything I need because I can buy tv seasons off Amazon which I have been doing more of. The PQ and AQ is just real good, all I truly would need from Vue is live tv like diy when the wife wants to watch, and of course the ESPN's.

Since I already have a 4k disc and streaming device along with a bolt, all I need to do is grab one of the new PS4 slims in a couple of weeks.

With 100 down speed and 1tb of usage, the Vue streams would not be a burden.

I'm really starting to consider a move to all streaming, now that I have cable internet.

I grabbed a flick off Amazon last night (new release movie in 1080p/24 HD) and it was quite enjoyable. I own it for about $10 less than the disc, and it is in the cloud. The $35/month Vue plan has everything I need because I can buy tv seasons off Amazon which I have been doing more of. The PQ and AQ is just real good, all I truly would need from Vue is live tv like diy when the wife wants to watch, and of course the ESPN's.

Since I already have a 4k disc and streaming device along with a bolt, all I need to do is grab one of the new PS4 slims in a couple of weeks.

With 100 down speed and 1tb of usage, the Vue streams would not be a burden.

I have said it many times already, but go for it. The service has only gotten better since I signed up.
Unless you just need a new PS4, might try a 2nd gen fire tv box.

After just this weekend of trying Vue, I must say I am about 99% closer to cutting the chord. There are a few things to get use to, such as a guide not really available , missing a few channels I hate to give up (MLB Channel and History Channel for me, Hallmark for the wife), and just the different layout. But other than that, quite pleased.

We have Netflix and of course Amazon Prime but I am wondering about Hulu. Most of the reviews I read have not been very good as with content, commercials, pricing jump for non commercials, and picture quality. It seems like Netflix has a LOT of TV shows but just takes longer. Thoughts?

I was just perusing the Directv site because I did not pay attention to the package layouts. So, I have to keep the $118 package for diy, a channel we want. That is crazy, and they might make my decision easier for me.

After just this weekend of trying Vue, I must say I am about 99% closer to cutting the chord. There are a few things to get use to, such as a guide not really available , missing a few channels I hate to give up (MLB Channel and History Channel for me, Hallmark for the wife), and just the different layout. But other than that, quite pleased.

We have Netflix and of course Amazon Prime but I am wondering about Hulu. Most of the reviews I read have not been very good as with content, commercials, pricing jump for non commercials, and picture quality. It seems like Netflix has a LOT of TV shows but just takes longer. Thoughts?

I thought I would sub to Hulu when I switched to PS Vue until my area gets all the locals on Vue. But now that I get NBC and CBS locals, and Hulu lost CW to Netflix, that only leaves two shows I still need on the big networks: Gotham and Agents of SHIELD, which I can get on Vue's ON Demand Channels if I'm willing to put up with commercials. Otherwise I can wait until next summer when the new seasons are added to Netflix. As it stands already, the CW shows will air on Netflix one week after their season is done.

I actually dropped netflix and hulu when I went with Vue. My plan was the same as Zookster, but it was so close to summer time that I dropped it and use amazon prime (since I had it for shipping) and another app that can be put on the fire tv platform....

That and I do have my OTA antenna and tivo with lifetime, so I am good on the broadcast stuff.

Directv gave me $40 (no contract extension) off for a year yesterday so I'll stay with them another year.
I've tried out the Vue and got use to most things. I like the service. Roku app interface need major changes. Dvr is pretty cool as it recorded all things I asked. 30 day cloud storage is plenty of time for me. I wouldn't have gotten my locals but did try CBS all access which did have my local.
I feel I would be all set if and when I break the cord.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts