The PlayStation Vue Thread

Here's the official word on devices and number of streams from the PS Vue FAQ:

How many devices can I stream PlayStation™Vue on at once?

A single PlayStation™Vue account 6can simultaneously stream PlayStation™Vue on up to one PS4 console and one PS3 console in the same home. (Note: at this time, you cannot stream on two PS4 consoles or two PS3 consoles at any given time.)

You can also use PlayStation™Vue Mobile on up to 3 iOS and Android devices, as well as PlayStation™Vue on Fire TV, Roku streaming devices, and Chromecast. Up to five total streams are supported at once!​

Though you don't need a PS Plus ($60) subscription to be a PS Vue sub, it does give you discounts on some of the add-on channels, like Showtime. Unfortunately, there's no PS Plus discount for HBO or Cinemax. :(
In a way though, the Ultra Core package with HBO & Showtime added for $65.00 is the discount. Then just pay the $15.00 extra for Cinemax if you like. That is still a lot cheaper than what I'm paying DirecTV right now, by a large margin. Until I see what Directv Now will offer, PlayStation Vue is the best choice for streaming live programming right now.

I've now had Vue for about a month and so far so good. As the article said (that someone linked) I hope their app becomes better and will have a guide and allow watching while reviewing the guide.

I have PlayOn and so far so good but I am hopeful they will have an app for a Mac soon instead of only a PC.

Received an email from Hulu for $5.99 per month for 12 months and I decided to try them again. Combined with PlayOn and their ad-skipper ability, that might work very well. So, with Vue, Hulu, Netflix, and Starz, I am under $70 per month compared to the $160 or so I was spending at DirecTV. Will probably end up dropping Starz after the next month though since we haven't used it that much and instead purchase the CBS app.

For the three of us using PS4, and 2 Rokus, plus 2 laptops, 3 iPads, and my Mac, we used 1TB data for Sept.

One question I haven't been able to find an answer to anywhere. How long will the on demand content from the major networks stay up? My wife and I have quite a few prime time shows that we watch from the big 4 and right now we are both too busy at work to watch any of the new seasons. In the past this wasn't a problem as they would be there waiting for us on the DVR. Now I'm curious how long they will be available on Vue before we have to pay per episode to get caught up.

One question I haven't been able to find an answer to anywhere. How long will the on demand content from the major networks stay up? My wife and I have quite a few prime time shows that we watch from the big 4 and right now we are both too busy at work to watch any of the new seasons. In the past this wasn't a problem as they would be there waiting for us on the DVR. Now I'm curious how long they will be available on Vue before we have to pay per episode to get caught up.
In short, it varies.

Can I record/DVR live TV programs?
Yes! By adding your favorite shows to “My Shows”, you will automatically save them for up to 28 days after they air. On Demand content added to “My Shows” will be saved for varying amounts of time.

Note: Some "On-Demand" and "DVR" programming availability will vary by channel, individual program, and service location.

Is there anyway to record a program without recording all shows?
If I want to record a college football, I'll get every college game until I take it off of my added list.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Is there anyway to record a program without recording all shows?
If I want to record a college football, I'll get every college game until I take it off of my added list.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
None that I've seen. A bigger problem for me is the inability to manually extend the end recording time of a game. I'm currently recording everything with NFL in the title just for my home team's weekly game. I'm not too concerned since it doesn't use any data, and recording space and tuners are virtually unlimited.

Hulu Plus might be cheaper than buying individual episodes if it comes to that, assuming Hulu carries all the shows you watch now that it's dropped CW shows. You could also try using a service that lets you record shows from a network or cable channel's website to your PC. I currently use PlayOn to record Fox, ABC and CW shows that stream free online. No time limit on how long I can keep them. Plex and Kobi are other options for that.

Yeah I thought about that too with Hulu Plus. I've been playing around with Plex some but I'm not overly impressed. The picture quality on the official channels for ABC, NBC, ect is very good. But I'm guessing they pull the shows right from their respective websites. Which means they won't be up there for the entire season. And any of the unofficial channels that I've been able to find are either hard to use or have very poor picture quality. I'm going to try getting Playon set up tonight and try that out.

I've now had Vue for about a month and so far so good. As the article said (that someone linked) I hope their app becomes better and will have a guide and allow watching while reviewing the guide.

I have PlayOn and so far so good but I am hopeful they will have an app for a Mac soon instead of only a PC.

Received an email from Hulu for $5.99 per month for 12 months and I decided to try them again. Combined with PlayOn and their ad-skipper ability, that might work very well. So, with Vue, Hulu, Netflix, and Starz, I am under $70 per month compared to the $160 or so I was spending at DirecTV. Will probably end up dropping Starz after the next month though since we haven't used it that much and instead purchase the CBS app.

For the three of us using PS4, and 2 Rokus, plus 2 laptops, 3 iPads, and my Mac, we used 1TB data for Sept.
Unless your ISP has no data caps, you shouldn't be playing ANY videos unless you are actually watching them. No playing as background noise while you are doing something else. You must be streaming video content 24/7 to rack up 1TB data. If I did that, I'd owe my ISP over $1000.00 no doubt.

It looks like tonight's Cubs v. Giants playoff game is only on the MLB network. Does anyone know if our PS Vue credentials give us access to any live (legals) streams? Or if there is any other way to watch? I can understand networks like ESPN, TNT, TBS, etc. not giving access to non-subscribers to sports content they paid a great deal for in order to have exclusivity over, but why would MLB want to shut out (to use a baseball term) the vast majority of the country from watching an important game involving storied franchises that would only help foster enthusiasm for the sport?

It looks like tonight's Cubs v. Giants playoff game is only on the MLB network. Does anyone know if our PS Vue credentials give us access to any live (legals) streams? Or if there is any other way to watch? I can understand networks like ESPN, TNT, TBS, etc. not giving access to non-subscribers to sports content they paid a great deal for in order to have exclusivity over, but why would MLB want to shut out (to use a baseball term) the vast majority of the country from watching an important game involving storied franchises that would only help foster enthusiasm for the sport?
This is on Fox Sports not wanting to carry the game, probably because of a college football game(?). Until Vue &/or Sling TV carries the MLB Network(along with both the NHL Network & NBA TV), there isn't really much you can do. Tunein Internet Radio might carry the game with their ESPN Radio app, you can try that to at least listen to the game.

... snip ... why would MLB want to shut out (to use a baseball term) the vast majority of the country from watching an important game involving storied franchises that would only help foster enthusiasm for the sport?
Do you really need an answer to that, or is that a rhetorical question?

You can bet its has something to do with ... wait for it ... Money!

MLB doesn't need growing but MLB Network does.

DRCars

Further researching this, I did discover MLB TV sells a post-season pass for watching select games online, so yes, definitely about the money. I still question how difficult MLB is making it to watch certain games. I guess I'm old school and remember when a major network's programming for almost the entire month of October was preempted for MLB playoffs and the World Series. Making it hard, if not impossible, to find and access playoff games especially hasn't helped any professional sport expand its fan base. Only the NFL has gotten it right (for the most part), especially after lifting the local blackout rules, which the owners had been resisting. But I guess, who cares how many fans you have if you can get enough fans to shell out big bucks to watch your product -- just look at boxing.

Mediacom doesn't carry MLB network -- skinflint! -- so we went retro and sat around a radio carrying the game on the Des Moines Cubs network local AM affiliate. Fortunately, this is the only game "blacked out" in Cub-fan-hotbed Des Moines. (Mediacom doesn't even carry the Chicago RSNs!) But my wife was asking, "Does satellite carry the game?" Looks like we'll be switching when our Mediacom promotional price runs out in December, even though it'll cost us more.

I just installed update 1.15 for the PS Vue app on PS4. I immediately began to search (in vain) for new features, functions, etc. -- pressing every button on the remote and finding nothing.

HOWEVER, once I started actually watching something, I noticed much less lag when fastforwding and rewinding. I then played around with it a bit more to find a very noticeable improvement in overall loading times when changing channels, starting a recorded show, and coming in and out of FF/RW. The response is not quite as instant as it was on my old cable system DVR, but it's getting close. Prior to 1.15, it could take several seconds for a show to load, restart from FF/RW, or respond when initiating FW/RW.

If there was any one single improvement I would've liked to see with PS Vue, that would've been it. :)

Reactions: Ronnie-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts