The PlayStation Vue Thread

For the second year in a row I planned to cancel the TV portion of my cable double play and go with a streaming option because the promotions were set to expire. Playstation Vue's $35 option seems ideal for me because it includes all the channels I currently record from Charter plus Fox Sports Detroit for my Tigers games. The only exception seems to be CW but I can get that OTA and continue recording to my Tivo.

When I called to cancel they extended my promos for another year just like they did last year. That means I get 60 Mbps internet plus Charter Spectrum Silver which has just about everything including HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime for $105. Going with PS Vue would still save me $10 per month but I think the convenience of using cable and my Tivo instead of a PS4 controller is probably worth the extra $10. Plus I would be giving up quite a few channels to save that $10.

I also watch a lot of HBO and would have to subscribe to HBO Now, at least during Game of Thrones. Once I add that in it would cost me more to go with Charter internet and Playstation Vue than it would to stick with my double play. Looks like I'll be sticking with traditional TV service for at least another year.

Reactions: osu1991
For the second year in a row I planned to cancel the TV portion of my cable double play and go with a streaming option because the promotions were set to expire. Playstation Vue's $35 option seems ideal for me because it includes all the channels I currently record from Charter plus Fox Sports Detroit for my Tigers games. The only exception seems to be CW but I can get that OTA and continue recording to my Tivo.

When I called to cancel they extended my promos for another year just like they did last year. That means I get 60 Mbps internet plus Charter Spectrum Silver which has just about everything including HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime for $105. Going with PS Vue would still save me $10 per month but I think the convenience of using cable and my Tivo instead of a PS4 controller is probably worth the extra $10. Plus I would be giving up quite a few channels to save that $10.

I also watch a lot of HBO and would have to subscribe to HBO Now, at least during Game of Thrones. Once I add that in it would cost me more to go with Charter internet and Playstation Vue than it would to stick with my double play. Looks like I'll be sticking with traditional TV service for at least another year.

That's a sick deal! I wish my cable company offered me something even half as good when I called to cancel last June. The best they would do was $178 for my current channels, one two-tuner DVR, no premiums, 50 Mbs internet, and landline phone services (normally $30/mo), which I need for my home-based business. Cutting the cable and saving $60+/mo. on all of the above was a no-brainer (though my internet has since gone up $10 to $75/mo. -- bastards!)

BTW, there is a $30 multi-device learning remote for the PS4. It's not nearly as good as the PS3 media remote, but it's serviceable, especially since I don't use Harmonys or other higher end universal remotes.

That's a sick deal! I wish my cable company offered me something even half as good when I called to cancel last June. The best they would do was $178 for my current channels, one two-tuner DVR, no premiums, 50 Mbs internet, and landline phone services (normally $30/mo), which I need for my home-based business. Cutting the cable and saving $60+/mo. on all of the above was a no-brainer (though my internet has since gone up $10 to $75/mo. -- bastards!)

BTW, there is a $30 multi-device learning remote for the PS4. It's not nearly as good as the PS3 media remote, but it's serviceable, especially since I don't use Harmonys or other higher end universal remotes.

It is a very good deal but part of the of the reason for that is because I had a 4 tuner TiVo Roamio and TiVo Mini with lifetime for OTA before I took advantage of this double play. If I had to pay Charter's equipment fees for DVR access in two rooms instead of a $2 CableCard fee I'm sure my bill will be significantly higher and I would be signing up for Vue right now.

It is a very good deal but part of the of the reason for that is because I had a 4 tuner TiVo Roamio and TiVo Mini with lifetime for OTA before I took advantage of this double play. If I had to pay Charter's equipment fees for DVR access in two rooms instead of a $2 CableCard fee I'm sure my bill will be significantly higher and I would be signing up for Vue right now.

Haha, good point! That would definitely make a difference in my case as well. Every week I get something in the mail from my cable company for a special $39.99/mo. deal on TV services. However, once I factor in $25 for DVR service and equipment rental, $10 for the basic sports channel add-on package (most of the channels are already included in Vue's $35/mo. service), and another $5-$10 for all their myriad taxes and fees, I'm at over $155 for TV and Internet, which will of course will skyrocket when my "promotion" year is over. For PS Vue and Internet, I pay $110.

And the fees are why most of us in this one went elsewhere.

Were it not for them, I'd likely still have sat service, or at least wouldn't have been as inclined to look elsewhere.

Now that I have of course, I'm happy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'll stay with Cox using my TiVo as long as they keep close to the promo I have now. $109 with taxes and cable card for 150/10 internet and advanced basic. Gives me everything I normally watch. TiVo and minis were already paid for.

Notice an update for the Vue app on Amazon Fire TV.
Details said minor so I'm thinking bug fixes. Haven't noticed anything new.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: tigerfan33
Fox Sports Net and Fox Sports Southeast magically appeared in my guide today for the first time. I've had access to them on the Fox Sports go app.
Weird but nice.
I'm using the EPIX free trial for a month also.
I'll probably keep since it's only $3.99.

Just got an email that Esquire is being bumped up from the Core/Access package to Elite/Ultra as of today. I don't honestly even know what kind of programming Esquire carries, but I'm not happy about Sony's penchant for notifying customers after the fact. If there was a show I had been recording, I would've liked an opportunity to view anything in my backlog. For all its failings, cable TV seemed to give a few weeks notice about channel changes, both in the monthly bill and ads in the local paper.

Odd they would remove any channel after recently dropping all the Viacom channels. I'm done with the streaming test for now after discovering certain AHC shows were being blocked from streaming. It looks like the new releases is what gets blocked.

Amazon Fire TV app has had a few firmware updates.
I see now they have changed the order of the menu when it is pulled up.
Live tv is now on the first line which is a nice touch.
I hate it when any provider drops a channel though it looks as Sony had no choice in this one.
If they were to drop channels I care for I'll just leave to another provider with no consequences.
Vue no don't is number one in my book but Sling is not too far behind. Hulu looks as it will be a major player later this year.

Since Esquire itself is shutting down entirely, Sony and everyone else don't have much choice.

If it's shutting down, why is it being moved to a higher tier and made available in HD? Here is the exact wording from the email I received:

Thank you for subscribing to PlayStation™Vue. As of Wednesday 1/25/2017, the Esquire channel will no longer be available in the Access and Core plans. Esquire will continue to be available in the Elite and Ultra plans.

For those on the West Coast who subscribe to Elite or Ultra, the Esquire channel will now be available in HD (making Esquire available in HD everywhere that Vue offers service). As part of this change, if Esquire was added to your Favorite Channels, you will need to re-favorite it. Additionally, your previously saved Esquire DVR content in My Shows will no longer be available, but Esquire On Demand programming will continue as normal - now just in HD.

Thank you,
PlayStation™Vue

If it's shutting down, why is it being moved to a higher tier and made available in HD? Here is the exact wording from the email I received:

Thank you for subscribing to PlayStation™Vue. As of Wednesday 1/25/2017, the Esquire channel will no longer be available in the Access and Core plans. Esquire will continue to be available in the Elite and Ultra plans.

For those on the West Coast who subscribe to Elite or Ultra, the Esquire channel will now be available in HD (making Esquire available in HD everywhere that Vue offers service). As part of this change, if Esquire was added to your Favorite Channels, you will need to re-favorite it. Additionally, your previously saved Esquire DVR content in My Shows will no longer be available, but Esquire On Demand programming will continue as normal - now just in HD.

Thank you,
PlayStation™Vue

I got the same email, From reading the email it seems Esquire was only in HD on the east coast/midwest? Never knew stations were HD in only certain parts of the country. . That makes about zero sense.

I have internet through Comcast, and in March they are bumping it up from starter to preferred. Plenty of notice. I just figured like so many other channels, they were out to make that extra 10.00 from some people. Saw that on my bill this month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts