The PlayStation Vue Thread

On the fire tv you hit the arrow buttons and it skips ten seconds at a time. Can que up as many as you want.

On the Roku it skips ahead also, but it doesn't tell you how far it's skipping and you have to hit play every time because it pauses afterwards.

Wow! That is a pain! I can see why you wouldn't bother. Unfortunately for me, after doing a bit of research, the Roku offers apps that Fire TV still doesn't (e.g., College Sports Live). I have until football season starts to pull the trigger on a device that will also enable me to stream my favorite college team's games directly to TV (without "casting" or hooking up a laptop or tablet).

Yeah the FF function of the roku app and the lack of background audio and video as I change or look for different channels led me to going back to the fire platform for using vue. It just seems far more polished.

Zookster if the Roku is what you have to have, then by all means I would get it. The Vue app is not unusable on the Roku, it's just not as polished as it is on the Fire TV. And, and as I said, I'm holding out hope that it will get better with updates. It is only at version 1.0 right now.

Reactions: Zookster
Wow! That is a pain! I can see why you wouldn't bother. Unfortunately for me, after doing a bit of research, the Roku offers apps that Fire TV still doesn't (e.g., College Sports Live). I have until football season starts to pull the trigger on a device that will also enable me to stream my favorite college team's games directly to TV (without "casting" or hooking up a laptop or tablet).
Unless it's a money issue, why can't you have both? Use Fire TV for PlayStation Vue(& the Fox Sports App that only Fire TV seems to have) & Roku for all other apps you use..

Unless it's a money issue, why can't you have both? Use Fire TV for PlayStation Vue(& the Fox Sports App that only Fire TV seems to have) & Roku for all other apps you use..

I already have a PS4 for my living room TV and a PS3 for my bedroom (along with a first-gen Roku that won't stream Vue). I just need one more PS Vue streaming device for my kitchen TV, mainly for live sports or news while working in the kitchen (I likely would never watch a recorded show on that TV). So now I'm leaning strongly in favor of a Roku stick, which would give me the flexibility and portability to use it on my other TVs for other Roku channels, like College Sports Live and Watch ESPN. I probably wouldn't need the Fox Sports app since I already get the Fox RSNs I need on PS Vue, and my college teams are currently contracted with ESPN and the CBS College Sports channels.

But yes, in theory, none of those devices would break the bank if I truly had a need for all of the above. After all, I'm saving at least $60/month by cutting the cord. :D

I already have a PS4 for my living room TV and a PS3 for my bedroom (along with a first-gen Roku that won't stream Vue). I just need one more PS Vue streaming device for my kitchen TV, mainly for live sports or news while working in the kitchen (I likely would never watch a recorded show on that TV). So now I'm leaning strongly in favor of a Roku stick, which would give me the flexibility and portability to use it on my other TVs for other Roku channels, like College Sports Live and Watch ESPN. I probably wouldn't need the Fox Sports app since I already get the Fox RSNs I need on PS Vue, and my college teams are currently contracted with ESPN and the CBS College Sports channels.

But yes, in theory, none of those devices would break the bank if I truly had a need for all of the above. After all, I'm saving at least $60/month by cutting the cord. :D
Then a Fire TV stick is usually $10.00 cheaper than the new Roku Stick. The remote can be a pain as far as lag time, but it functions, & PlayStation Vue is more user friendly on Fire TV than on Roku at this time. You can still buy a Roku Stick for use with your other TV's.

Enhancements coming to the service for some devices.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/06/29/ps-vue-launches-on-android-today-new-features-for-ps4-ps3/

Notable to me:
For the PS4
Want to keep an eye on what you’re currently watching while scrolling through the Guide? You can now do so with our new video thumbnail in the upper right corner of the Guide as you move through new options of live TV and on-demand video in the Guide.

For second gen fire tv devices
We’ll have enhancements coming soon for Amazon Fire TV as well, including Quick Navigation and a new update that brings 60 frames per second video output for great high definition picture quality to 2nd Generation Amazon Fire TVs.

We are currently in the 7-day trial on two differnt types of devices.

OBSERVATIONS:
Roku3 and Stick:
Will not work properly. Even after intense troubleshooting with Roku, the devices will not properly play content. (16 mbps speed verifed by Roku) When it did respond it took at least 2 minutes or longer to respond to play function. The picture was clear and not buffering.

FireTV Boxes: (1-Wifi) - 1-Ethernet
Both played flawlessly. The pictures were clear and HD quality. My only complaint was the lack of certain popular channels (NFL, MLB, Lifetime and A&E primarly). Also getting use to the FireTV remote fuctions has been somewhat clunky.

If the quality remains this high (with the Fire boxes) we will cut off Directv. We are viewing the Elite package and actual have the programming we want instead of DTV - Select Package which contains no sports but lots of junk channels.

From a cost perspective: DirecTV - Select is $52.00 + $25.00 (Tech fee) + $21.00 (extra receivers) + Taxes = @ $100 a month vs $45.00 for PSV. This would save us more than $50 a month. ($600 plus for the year) Yeah I can see getting a couple of new fishing rods and reels out of this.

We are currently in the 7-day trial on two differnt types of devices.

OBSERVATIONS:
Roku3 and Stick:
Will not work properly. Even after intense troubleshooting with Roku, the devices will not properly play content. (16 mbps speed verifed by Roku) When it did respond it took at least 2 minutes or longer to respond to play function. The picture was clear and not buffering.

FireTV Boxes: (1-Wifi) - 1-Ethernet
Both played flawlessly. The pictures were clear and HD quality. My only complaint was the lack of certain popular channels (NFL, MLB, Lifetime and A&E primarly). Also getting use to the FireTV remote fuctions has been somewhat clunky.

If the quality remains this high (with the Fire boxes) we will cut off Directv. We are viewing the Elite package and actual have the programming we want instead of DTV - Select Package which contains no sports but lots of junk channels.

From a cost perspective: DirecTV - Select is $52.00 + $25.00 (Tech fee) + $21.00 (extra receivers) + Taxes = @ $100 a month vs $45.00 for PSV. This would save us more than $50 a month. ($600 plus for the year) Yeah I can see getting a couple of new fishing rods and reels out of this.

I wonder if the problem with the Roku is in any way related to a problem I've been having intermittently on the PS4 over the past couple of weeks. Sometimes when I first launch the app, I don't see any content under My Shows, My Channels, etc. and there's no info in the guide, accompanied by an error message. Relaunching the app fixes the problem.

I wonder if the problem with the Roku is in any way related to a problem I've been having intermittently on the PS4 over the past couple of weeks. Sometimes when I first launch the app, I don't see any content under My Shows, My Channels, etc. and there's no info in the guide, accompanied by an error message. Relaunching the app fixes the problem.
I have the problem with Vue going into a loop when I watch it on Roku. It doesn't do that on my Fire TV Stick.

Just installed my Fire TV Stick that I picked up on Prime Day for $25. Any special button tricks for PS Vue I should be aware of, or is the interactivity as bare bones as it looks? Not too big of a deal since I'll mainly use this to put live sporting events in the background while working in my kitchen.

Just installed my Fire TV Stick that I picked up on Prime Day for $25. Any special button tricks for PS Vue I should be aware of, or is the interactivity as bare bones as it looks? Not too big of a deal since I'll mainly use this to put live sporting events in the background while working in my kitchen.
Pushing the circle button to the right will allow you to skip recordings in 10 seconds intervals(very helpful for skipping commercials). Hitting the circle that way 2-3 times will allow you to skip 20-30 seconds. Hitting the circle left will allow you to rewind in 10 second intervals.

Reactions: Zookster
Pushing the circle button to the right will allow you to skip recordings in 10 seconds intervals(very helpful for skipping commercials). Hitting the circle that way 2-3 times will allow you to skip 20-30 seconds. Hitting the circle left will allow you to rewind in 10 second intervals.
Skipping will come in very handy! Thanks!

How often do you guys using Vue on a Fire stick have to sign in? I got Vue for my parents to save money, but the monthly sign in is becoming a hassle. Only seems to happen on one of their sticks, so I'm thinking maybe there's an issue with the stick itself.

How often do you guys using Vue on a Fire stick have to sign in? I got Vue for my parents to save money, but the monthly sign in is becoming a hassle. Only seems to happen on one of their sticks, so I'm thinking maybe there's an issue with the stick itself.
I've only had to sign into PlayStation Vue once on my Fire TV Stick. How's the network connection to it? Of course, for only $40.00, you can always replace it with a new Fire TV Stick.

Last edited:

I've only had my stick for a few days, so I hope that doesn't become an issue. Are you disconnecting from power, I wonder.

My sister said she is having to re authenticate every time they use it on their roku, and have been asked to change the password after two weeks. On my fire sticks that I had and the fire box, I have not had to sign it other than the first time.

I've only had to sign into PlayStation Vue once on my Fire TV Stick. How's the network connection to it? Of course, for only $40.00, you can always replace it with a new Fire TV Stick.
I've only had my stick for a few days, so I hope that doesn't become an issue. Are you disconnecting from power, I wonder.
I guess the network or power could be a little flaky in that particular room, but the Roku there has no such issues. I snagged another stick for $25 on Prime day that I plan to put in there anyway and see if there is any improvement. Not sure if it's the new version or not. Will have to research that. I can't tell by looking.

EDIT: I still can't tell what hardware version I have, but the firmware is 5.2 something and works with voice control from the smartphone app (I didn't spring for the voice remote). We shall see.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts