The PlayStation Vue Thread

Anyone else having issues with Roku app for Vue? It was working fine (if a little slow and FF issues) but it worked. Now it just constantly reloads. I'll get a show playing and it will play for a few seconds, then it will bring up a screen that says loading. Then play for a bit and load again. It's completely unwatchable. I've tried removing and reinstalling the app. Rebooting the Roku stick. Makes no difference. I was going to throw in the towel and just get a second Fire TV but they are out of stock at Amazon until the 7th of August and won't arrive at my house til the 15th. So I need to figure out how to get this Roku working in the mean time.

*edit*
Never mind I may have fixed it. I had it plugged into the HDMI in on my Xbox One. And that was keeping it powered up at all times. When I went to unplug it it was EXTREMELY hot. I plugged it into one of the extra ports on my TV after it cooled off and it seems to be working now. I think between being on all the time and all the heat it was getting from the fans on the Xbox that it overheated. Will keep an eye on it and see if problems reemerge.

I keep my Roku 2 (the new kind without vent holes) on top of a little metal cooling rack, like you would put baked goods on to cool, and that way air can flow all around it, and that seems to help.

I don't have very good AC so on particularly hot days, I'm reluctant to run my PS4 or PS3 (my very first PS3 died while playing a game during a heat wave). When I had cable, I didn't care about the extra wear and tear or the possibility of heat-related hardware failures of the set-top box, since my cable company would replace it for free, no questions asked. But now that PS Vue is my primary TV source, it's nice to have a $25 Fire Stick to abuse during the summer. :D

Nice little gift when I turned on PS Vue this evening: I'm now getting my local CBS affiliate (I was already getting the NBC local). So that means I'm getting CBS and NBC local channels along with Fox and ABC via On Demand, and still paying only $35/mo. :)

Nice little gift when I turned on PS Vue this evening: I'm now getting my local CBS affiliate (I was already getting the NBC local). So that means I'm getting CBS and NBC local channels along with Fox and ABC via On Demand, and still paying only $35/mo. :)
If they would carry CW, live or on demand, that would be great for the Arrow/Flash/Legends of Tomorrow/Supergirl fans.

Reactions: Zookster
anyone compare the streaming CBS to OTA for playstation vue? or anyone local, just curious, I am so close to jumping on board for my house as this system is amazing.

anyone compare the streaming CBS to OTA for playstation vue? or anyone local, just curious, I am so close to jumping on board for my house as this system is amazing.
You have to live in an area where locals are offered live. As of now, they only offer ABC, NBC, & Fox on demand for the areas not offering live locals. The best thing to do is, if you can, get your locals OTA, & then let PlayStation Vue take the place of your cable/satellite TV options.

You have to live in an area where locals are offered live. As of now, they only offer ABC, NBC, & Fox on demand for the areas not offering live locals. The best thing to do is, if you can, get your locals OTA, & then let PlayStation Vue take the place of your cable/satellite TV options.
Unfortunately, not an option if you have to record local news, as my wife does, for her job.

Unfortunately, not an option if you have to record local news, as my wife does, for her job.
I guess that in that situation, an OTA DVR would be useful, in addition to a service like PlayStation Vue or Sling TV. You are going to pay upfront for a lot of services if you cord cut. You'll have to pay for a quality antenna for OTA TV, especially if you end up buying an outdoor antenna because the signals are too weak for an indoor one. You'll have to buy a media streamer like Roku, Apple TV, or Fire TV if you want either PlayStation Vue or Sling TV. You might have to replace your TV if it's a SD or HD TV(how many elderly still have SD CRT TV's running in their houses?) that doesn't have HDMI inputs, or you'll need to buy some sort of converter to run HDMI signals out through either component or composite cable(plus separate cables for sound). You might have to upgrade your ISP to cover for internet speeds & most importantly, data caps. You'll probably save money in the end, but you'll have to put out money to prepare yourself if you do want to cut the cable & rely on both OTA & internet streaming for TV viewing

In general, the picture quality of live TV streamed over the Internet (a la PS Vue/Sling TV) will be a bit softer than OTA or most cable/sat TV systems. I don't really notice anymore and often find myself saying, "why did I think this was so much softer during my free trial period?"

In addition to the handful of markets PS Vue offers local affiliates of all the major broadcast networks (except CW), they have been adding local network affiliates in owned-and-operated markets. This article lists where: http://www.multichannel.com/news/co...fers-big-4-broadcasters-all-oo-markets/405235
In addition, PS Vue is now adding more CBS locals: http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/playstation-vue-adds-local-live-cbs-feeds/406499

The best way to figure out what you get in your market (and to see if the picture quality is acceptable) is to sign up or a free trial. (I posted above about a special 30-day trial offer.)

Does your wife need to record just to watch at a later time when she's available? Or does she need to capture relevant clips as someone who works in PR or a government agency might do?

If she just needs to stay on top of the news, many local news stations offer apps on Roku or Amazon Fire Stick (or mobile devices) that will let you watch news broadcasts anywhere, anytime (YMMV). Come to think of it, it may be just as easy to capture clips that way as well.

NFL, and Redzone channels coming to vue!!!

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/playstation-vue-scores-nfl-network-carriage-deal/406594

This is huge in my eyes, I will be all in with vue here soon, I just need them to get Lifetime movie network and even my parents (who HATE change) are all in!!!

It sounds like it will be a separate add-on subscription. But even the PS Blog doesn't say for certain what the cost will be, though it's clear it's a separate subscription ("PlayStation Vue users who subscribe to NFL Network and NFL RedZone ..."). I hope there's a discount for Plus members like there is for some of the other channel add-ons.

Regardless, it's nice to see Sony getting serious about making Vue a more attractive and complete option to cable and satellite, as opposed to letting it wither and die like they did with their Music Unlimited streaming music service.

I went with it today and cancelled Dish and so far I'm liking it. Surprised no app on a brand new Sony Bravia TV, whats that about? I'm using the Roku for now.
I actually find the quality as good or better than Directv. Example final episode of Hell On Wheels I recorded and compared with the Vue stream.

I haven't totally cut the cord yet, I still have the very bottom family package $29.99 with Directv and Sunday Ticket discounted. I'm most pleased with the 100+channels for $44.99. Most all my sports channels are included. I may even drop Directv with Redzone coming but its a decision I'll make later.

The big thing I'm seeing is the high quality of some of the SD channels its amazingly very watchable. Satellite really looks bad compared.

Fire TV, or second generation box anyway, got the 60fps update with quick navigation.

I noticed the scrolls are much smoother.

I also noticed that those boxes output 1080 instead of the Roku (stick anyway) 720. That's the new stick, I think all Roku do the same. Roku did appear to be 60fps as well however.

So just something to consider when deciding which streamer to use for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: camo
Thanks, I ordered the new Amazon Fire TV coming out in August the quad core unit.
I'm watching AHC in HD tonight, I didn't even know it had HD feed.

Coming out in August? There is a new one being released? I was not aware of it, got any info?

To my knowledge the latest model and even the first were quad core.
Thanks, I ordered the new Amazon Fire TV coming out in August the quad core unit.
I'm watching AHC in HD tonight, I didn't even know it had HD feed.

Overall the Roku is a better box. For vue the fire is the best. Depends on what your primary use is. I've got several Rokus and they are great.

I did buy three of the 4k fires though just because of vue. Since then I've learned to live with them for the rest. And they run Kodi well ;)