The PlayStation Vue Thread

Overall the Roku is a better box. For vue the fire is the best. Depends on what your primary use is. I've got several Rokus and they are great.

I did buy three of the 4k fires though just because of vue. Since then I've learned to live with them for the rest. And they run Kodi well ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information primary use will be Vue. After a little more research I found the Fire TV interface with Vue was easier to use skipping commercials. That's a plus for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronnie-
It sounds like it will be a separate add-on subscription. But even the PS Blog doesn't say for certain what the cost will be, though it's clear it's a separate subscription ("PlayStation Vue users who subscribe to NFL Network and NFL RedZone ..."). I hope there's a discount for Plus members like there is for some of the other channel add-ons.

Regardless, it's nice to see Sony getting serious about making Vue a more attractive and complete option to cable and satellite, as opposed to letting it wither and die like they did with their Music Unlimited streaming music service.
Red zone might be a onetime seasonal deal where you pay so much onetime for that particular season(have to keep renewing it per season). NFL Network itself might be an add-on unless you pay for the Elite package & then it's thrown in free.

I've been considering a tivo bolt for OTA and PS4 with Vue Elite, but some of the PQ and audio complaints (lack of 5.1) I have read over at AVS make me a little concerned. It seems the Vue feeds are all 720p? Im real happy with Directv's PQ so I dont "need" to switch.

Other concern is the 28 day dvr limit, because we can get 6-7 weeks behind. If most of the stuff like USA/FX?etc... is on demand too, then not a big deal.

Any thoughts.

Trial period is over and decided not to keep because of my out of market NFL team so keeping Sunday Ticket 1 more year. This may change next year and its a viable option for sure having 100+ channels many HD at $45 with no add on fees. Even the SD looks good unlike satellite because its sent 720p but 4x3 format.

Thoughts after 6 days it does really well and looks good at 720p but still experienced some buffering even though I had plenty of internet bandwidth on my end. Its not as bad as MLBTV but is annoying. What I read they stream using h.264, more efficient than mpeg4 so 720i bandwidth was only using around 3 mbps according my router.

Key will be if they remain affordable in the future. The cable system serving my area has also converted to IPTV and is more affordable than satellite, with a fancy DVR large storage capacity equivalent package with locals runs $70 with 2 free ST boxes. Extras only $4.95. Unlike Vue there is no buffering because its on a closed system.

Trial period is over and decided not to keep because of my out of market NFL team so keeping Sunday Ticket 1 more year. This may change next year and its a viable option for sure having 100+ channels many HD at $45 with no add on fees. Even the SD looks good unlike satellite because its sent 720p but 4x3 format.

Thoughts after 6 days it does really well and looks good at 720p but still experienced some buffering even though I had plenty of internet bandwidth on my end. Its not as bad as MLBTV but is annoying. What I read they stream using h.264, more efficient than mpeg4 so 720i bandwidth was only using around 3 mbps according my router.

Key will be if they remain affordable in the future. The cable system serving my area has also converted to IPTV and is more affordable than satellite, with a fancy DVR large storage capacity equivalent package with locals runs $70 with 2 free ST boxes. Extras only $4.95. Unlike Vue there is no buffering because its on a closed system.

You can stream Sunday Ticket as well, and it may be cheaper that way depending on what kind of deal you have with DTV. There are apps for most video game consoles, Roku, and Chromecast.

I've been considering a tivo bolt for OTA and PS4 with Vue Elite, but some of the PQ and audio complaints (lack of 5.1) I have read over at AVS make me a little concerned. It seems the Vue feeds are all 720p? Im real happy with Directv's PQ so I dont "need" to switch.

Other concern is the 28 day dvr limit, because we can get 6-7 weeks behind. If most of the stuff like USA/FX?etc... is on demand too, then not a big deal.

Any thoughts.
In my experience, the PQ with vue is comparable to Directv. I know the fire tv box and the ps4 show as displaying 1080 at 60fps on my sets. The rokus is at 720 and 60 fps, and the fire sticl was at 720 and 30fps.

I can not answer the on demand part as I have nothing I am following at the moment. I will be happy to check specific shows later if you give me a few that you are curious about.

Any thoughts.

The only way to know if the PQ/AQ issues would be a problem for you is by doing a free trial. You should still be able to get in on the 30-day trial through the PS Store.

There's a problem getting a two-channel audio stream on the PS4 that would allow you to have your AVR apply Pro Logic surround processing, but I figured out a workaround on PS4, and it doesn't seem to be an issue on other devices (Fire TV, PS3, Roku?). But no, you wouldn't get actual 5.1 Dolby Digital audio from PS Vue.

The 28-day limit on recordings is a pain. There is On Demand content for USA and FX shows, but I assume which episodes are available and the length of time they are available is determined more by the cable channel than the PS Vue system.

In my experience, the PQ with vue is comparable to Directv. I know the fire tv box and the ps4 show as displaying 1080 at 60fps on my sets. The rokus is at 720 and 60 fps, and the fire sticl was at 720 and 30fps.

I can not answer the on demand part as I have nothing I am following at the moment. I will be happy to check specific shows later if you give me a few that you are curious about.

There was a recent upgrade to the PS Vue app on the Fire Stick and 1080p and 60fps is now available.

EDIT: or maybe the upgrade was to the Fire Stick. Regardless, I get PS Vue as 1080p/60fps

My understanding is that only applies to the 2nd Gen fire tv box. Not the stick.

It doesn't apply to the first generation of either

My understanding is that only applies to the 2nd Gen fire tv box. Not the stick.

It doesn't apply to the first generation of either

It definitely applies to the current gen stick (which I bought on Prime Day). I got a notice after I set it up to upgrade the FW. In the Stick's settings menu 1080p/60fps and 1080p/50fps are now options.

It definitely applies to the current gen stick (which I bought on Prime Day). I got a notice after I set it up to upgrade the FW. In the Stick's settings menu 1080p/60fps and 1080p/50fps are now options.
Curious though if that firmware update only updated the sticks settings themselves and not the vue app. The fire box was always capable of that, but the app itself was limited to 720 and 30 fps until the app update.
I sold all three of my sticks and got boxes instead or I would check. Searching for the article I thought I remembered seeing that said 4k box only, I already found one from sony that confirms 2nd gen only.

It would certainly be a plus if they did the second gen stick as well.

Curious though if that firmware update only updated the sticks settings themselves and not the vue app. The fire box was always capable of that, but the app itself was limited to 720 and 30 fps until the app update.
I sold all three of my sticks and got boxes instead or I would check. Searching for the article I thought I remembered seeing that said 4k box only, I already found one from sony that confirms 2nd gen only.

It would certainly be a plus if they did the second gen stick as well.

After making sure my stick was set to 1080p/60fps, I launched the PS Vue app and hit the "Info" button on the TV remote and it showed "1920x1080p/60fps." It's entirely possible either the stick or my TV is up-converting the PS Vue stream, and in all honesty, I don't see much of a difference between that and 720p on the 22" screen I'm using in my kitchen.

Reactions: Ronnie-
It's also entirely possible that I am not rembering correctly. Since I can not find the article that is the most likely case.

On the Vue for Fire TV app I'm seeing some strange issues with this new update. When I change channels or shows I'm not getting the 60 fps like they say and they're having some bad lip sync issues. However, it's a simple fix. If you hit the home button and then go right back to Vue it seems to load up properly. So it's a work around until they update to fix it.

Also, any new info on when to expect NFL network? I'm really excited about that.

Anybody looking for a good Vue player, check out Best Buy. The Fire stick is $25 and the box is $70, today only, I think. Just picked up another box to replace a stick myself.

Coming from Dish over a year ago, Vue has by far the most app access I know about. I have a PS3/4, Roku, iPad and Android phones and the app access just rocks. Looks like when the NFL Network access is started it'll allow access on the NFL main app across the board since it allowed me to sign in using my Vue credentials on the NFL PS4 app. But it being disabled, didn't update the up, just said Success on the authorization webpage.

Finally watching live football with vue. I have to say. It looks better at least than through dish or directv.

Main issue I have, tested using the Roku 4 was no local networks. Don't care about the news but with networks broadcasting live college and pro FB games can't see this working. Love the pricing and the SD content blows Directv's over-compressed unwatchable junk away. Directv should be ashamed of the SD content they charge premium for.

Main issue I have, tested using the Roku 4 was no local networks. Don't care about the news but with networks broadcasting live college and pro FB games can't see this working. Love the pricing and the SD content blows Directv's over-compressed unwatchable junk away. Directv should be ashamed of the SD content they charge premium for.

Name of the game these days is HD content. I would much rather DTV over compress SD channels and leave more room for HD content. I stopped watching SD channels years ago. Even if there is a channel I like that isn't in HD yet, it became a channel I don't like until they move to HD. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts