The PlayStation Vue Thread

It seems as if many channels offer their shows free on line and this software would download those shows and allow me to play them on my Roku with DVR functionality. It would just be in conjunction with Vue and possibly deal with my over the air/DVR conundrum. I don't think you need any service to watch shows on line, at least not the networks I would watch such as CBS, History, etc.

This is exactly what I would like to use PlayOn for -- to watch network shows that stream free online, including the CW shows, while allowing me to skip commercials. $50 for a lifetime sub to PlayOn is a lot cheaper than $400 + rooftop antenna to go the Tivo route. It's also cheaper than six months of Hulu, which won't even be carrying CW shows anymore.

This is exactly what I would like to use PlayOn for -- to watch network shows that stream free online, including the CW shows, while allowing me to skip commercials. $50 for a lifetime sub to PlayOn is a lot cheaper than $400 + rooftop antenna to go the Tivo route. It's also cheaper than six months of Hulu, which won't even be carrying CW shows anymore.

The only downside is, it seems, CBS no longer allows many of their shows to be seen on line for free. I texted the service with an episode of The Simpsons and two shows from Hulu. That worked very well but, I might end up having to up $6 a month for CBS. Wife wants Amazing Race and to watch it when she wants.

The only downside is, it seems, CBS no longer allows many of their shows to be seen on line for free. I texted the service with an episode of The Simpsons and two shows from Hulu. That worked very well but, I might end up having to up $6 a month for CBS. Wife wants Amazing Race and to watch it when she wants.
I've been able to watch episodes of Zoo using Plex.

One could use kodi to find legal free online streams as well

Another intriguing option, though looks a bit less out-of-the-box user friendly than PlayOn Plus or even free Plex. From what I'm seeing on the website for Kodi, there would be quite a learning curve for non-techie people to get it set up and running, which has turned me off Plex as well. Just something I know I could do with time, but would rather do other things with that time.

If PlayOn Plus works as advertised, I can have select content downloaded automatically to my PC (e.g., new episodes of a TV series streamed free on a network's website) and then be able to view it on my PS4, and have complete control (pause, fast-forward, etc.) using my PS4 remote. Easily worth $30/year ($50/lifetime) for me, though I'm still waiting to hear from their support team whether I can get a better price due to my legacy lifetime subscription.

Kodi is actually quite user friendly if one loads the right custom build. I've been using it for a while to supplement our streaming. It's netflix easy

Works great on a fire device as well. Takes about five minutes to install a good custom build with everything you need

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Kodi is actually quite user friendly if one loads the right custom build. I've been using it for a while to supplement our streaming. It's netflix easy

Works great on a fire device as well. Takes about five minutes to install a good custom build with everything you need

After spending time on Kodi's site, I'm not even sure I understand what is meant by "custom builds," unless you are talking about the Kodi plug-ins. Doing a bit more research, however, Kodi doesn't seem too compatible with a PS4. The recommendations I'm finding online are all for Plex (which has a PS4 app), but then I would need to subscribe to a Plex Pass to do what I need to do, which costs $149 for a lifetime sub. PlayOn still appears to be the best route for my basic needs (I only want to stream free network TV shows from CW, ABC, and Fox to my TV via PS4 in a manner that will allow me to skip commercials).

After spending time on Kodi's site, I'm not even sure I understand what is meant by "custom builds," unless you are talking about the Kodi plug-ins. Doing a bit more research, however, Kodi doesn't seem too compatible with a PS4. The recommendations I'm finding online are all for Plex (which has a PS4 app), but then I would need to subscribe to a Plex Pass to do what I need to do, which costs $149 for a lifetime sub. PlayOn still appears to be the best route for my basic needs (I only want to stream free network TV shows from CW, ABC, and Fox to my TV via PS4 in a manner that will allow me to skip commercials).

$300.00(Plex Pass Pro) if you want a professional to set it up for you https://www.plex.tv/plex-pass-pro/ , to include setting up your server & devices that you'll use to watch Plex.

After just this weekend of trying Vue, I must say I am about 99% closer to cutting the chord. There are a few things to get use to, such as a guide not really available , missing a few channels I hate to give up (MLB Channel and History Channel for me, Hallmark for the wife), and just the different layout. But other than that, quite pleased.

We have Netflix and of course Amazon Prime but I am wondering about Hulu. Most of the reviews I read have not been very good as with content, commercials, pricing jump for non commercials, and picture quality. It seems like Netflix has a LOT of TV shows but just takes longer. Thoughts?
Check out "Feeln.com". It's a Hallmark Channel on Roku/Apple/Fire & other devices. About $24 a year. My wife loves it. Hallmark was the only channel she missed after we dropped satellite.

It isn't easy to tell with Amazon but it appears to me with the price drop Best Buy had earlier along with (of all places) Lowes and Home Depot and now again on Amazon they may be selling off present units for another updated unit. And this is getting to the time of year for them. But it could be something upgradeable to older units too... or nothing but a sale...

It isn't easy to tell with Amazon but it appears to me with the price drop Best Buy had earlier along with (of all places) Lowes and Home Depot and now again on Amazon they may be selling off present units for another updated unit. And this is getting to the time of year for them. But it could be something upgradeable to older units too... or nothing but a sale...

I see it more as a back-to-school thing to hook college kids, many on their own for the first time and looking for streaming devices and online content, into the Amazon eco-system.

I thought the current-gen Fire TV was relatively new, like this year new.

I have been using ota in addition to vue as I don't get locals through the service.

I get all the networks but fox ota, which isn't a huge problem except when I want to watch and football games on there.

I was pleasantly surprised that using the fox sports go app on my fire tv and logging in with my ps vue credentials not only gives me the cable networks and rsns that the service does offer but I also get the NFL games through my local fox affiliate through the app as well.

Reactions: hahler2
I thought the current-gen Fire TV was relatively new, like this year new.

I think it came out October of 15, which would make a new model upcoming if they follow first and second gen releases.

I have been using ota in addition to vue as I don't get locals through the service.

I get all the networks but fox ota, which isn't a huge problem except when I want to watch and football games on there.

I was pleasantly surprised that using the fox sports go app on my fire tv and logging in with my ps vue credentials not only gives me the cable networks and rsns that the service does offer but I also get the NFL games through my local fox affiliate through the app as well.

Thanks for the heads up. I need to let my dad know he may have that option. He has Dish, but due to a long, protracted contract impasse, Dish isn't carrying our local Fox affiliate (since mid-July). I lent him an indoor antenna, so he was set for today's preseason games. But I assume his Dish credentials will give him access to any content online at Fox Sports Go since the other Fox family of channels aren't part of this contract dispute with Dish.

Reactions: Ronnie-

You can do the same with the NBC Sports app for those not getting ota.
Funny. Looks like the CBS All Access app which is a paid app will not carry some sports through the app even with local availability.

Reactions: Ronnie-
If PlayOn Plus works as advertised, I can have select content downloaded automatically to my PC (e.g., new episodes of a TV series streamed free on a network's website) and then be able to view it on my PS4, and have complete control (pause, fast-forward, etc.) using my PS4 remote. Easily worth $30/year ($50/lifetime) for me, though I'm still waiting to hear from their support team whether I can get a better price due to my legacy lifetime subscription.

PlayOn totally hooked me up. They offered me a lifetime subscription to PlayOn Plus, which lets me record and stream any online content to my Playstation and Android devices, for $10. Set up was a snap. I've already got season subscriptions in place for CW, ABC, and Fox shows I can't record with PS Vue. And I'll easily be able to access live sports aired on ESPN3 and other sources directly on my TV without connecting my laptop, as I've had to do in the past.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts