The Problem with VOOM

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Source: TVPredictions by Swanni

Voom, the programming division owned by Cablevision's Rainbow Media, owns and operates 15 High-Definition channels.

Cable and satellite operators (and the telcos) say they need more high-def channels to fill out their lineups.

So, what's the problem? Why aren't they carrying Voom? And, why did Dish Network just drop Voom's entire 15-channel suite from its lineup, replacing it with several 'HD channels" that actually broadcast very little in high-def.

The answer: Money and politics. (Surprised?)

Voom's 15 channels, which includes such niche networks as Equator HD (nature shows); HD News; Rave (music) and Treasure HD (antiques), airs more real high-def than most of the so-called HD simulcast channels that have launched in recent months.

For instance, other than the network's Sunday afternoon baseball game, TBS HD's lineup consists largely of standard-def programs 'upconverted' to fit the high-def widescreen. (This is mocked in some circles as 'Stretch-o-Vision').

Voom's channels, which include both original and repeat programming, offers very little upconverting; a high-def show is usually the real deal -- and broadcast in 1080i.

So, why would Dish, and other TV providers, carry TBS and not Voom?

Full Article Here

Good read, but nothing we didn't already know...

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did you read this thread, from the subject line you knew it was "another thread" about Voom?

Why did you post in this thread?

Don't wish to see any more Voom threads?.......................Move on to the other 5000 non-Voom related threads on satguy forums

Why did you read this thread, from the subject line you knew it was "another thread" about Voom?

Why did you post in this thread?

Don't wish to see any more Voom threads?.......................Move on to the other 5000 non-Voom related threads on satguy forums

mind your business:D

Maybe it has to do with the providers perception of what their customers wants. Not to mention what logo catches the idea of prospective new customers.

Heck i remember when everybody on here was clamoring for TBS during the playoffs.

Maybe it has to do with the providers perception of what their customers wants. Not to mention what logo catches the idea of prospective new customers.

Heck i remember when everybody on here was clamoring for TBS during the playoffs.

Didn't that work out well? :) We think we know what we want, and they think they know what we want. Now, maybe they think we don't know what we want!

Didn't that work out well? :) We think we know what we want, and they think they know what we want. Now, maybe they think we don't know what we want!

I never said that it worked out well or badly. And Frankly I am not sure that it matters if what we are trying to is answer the question posed in the article.

The question asked by the original article was why carry oe and not the other and I gave a possible answer to that---that they perceive taht TBS HD will be more widely watched than any VOOM channel.

BTW I have no idea whagt the ratings are for TBS HD vs any or all of the VOOM channel. Does anyone know if there is a source for that info?

Last edited:
D@mn it just hit me, I have not once watched TBS HD since it was added on.:p
Watched Voom at least once everyday.

Are the movies there regularly in HD?

Not that I would watch, I hate advertisement breaks and movie.

Turner Classic Movies got it just right...............would love TCM-HD

Well I lost 15 all HD channels, and I got one channel that I wanted Travel HD. Man Dish really knows what they are doing.

Travel HD isn't too bad. It's not the same as Equator, but it's not a bad channel at all.

Style in overcompressed SD as a substitute for Ultra HD? They are on crack.

Chiller as a substitute for Monsters? Err...no substitute for Kung Fu.

Swanni told it like it is. He called out Dish last week. However, he explained the reasons this week. If Direct picks up Voom, I'm gone. I'll even pay the cancellation fee unless Dish shows a compelling reason to stay. (The DVR ain't enough.)

I hate to say it but if Dish is not working a deal I have to say I hope Directv picks it up, or "Lord Forgive me for saying this" Comcast.

I hate to say it but if Dish is not working a deal I have to say I hope Directv picks it up, or "Lord Forgive me for saying this" Comcast.

Ok, im going out on a limb. Expressvu in canada has 3 Voom channels. Rush Equator, treasure? I think thats right?

Maybe they pick up the rest. If you are in their footprint, your in bussiness.
I live in south florida their serive is spotty down here.

Also, another Canadian sat system Starchoice could pick it up. They are easy to get in the states.

Best scenerio is dish and voom comming to their senses. Or direc tv.That would be easy.

If only spock where here he could use the Vulcan mind meld on charlie..

Ok, im going out on a limb. Expressvu in canada has 3 Voom channels. Rush Equator, treasure? I think thats right?

Maybe they pick up the rest. If you are in their footprint, your in bussiness.
I live in south florida their serive is spotty down here.

Also, another Canadian sat system Starchoice could pick it up. They are easy to get in the states.

Best scenerio is dish and voom comming to their senses. Or direc tv.That would be easy.

If only spock where here he could use the Vulcan mind meld on charlie..

I am hoping for the best scenerio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts