vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Who wants to be a Raider? - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Who wants to be a Raider?

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports Apr 24, 9:36 pm EDT

The $16 million, $17 million or $18 million (depending on the contract) question that nobody could answer truthfully Thursday at the annual NFL draft luncheon: Which one of you top prospects wants to be a Raider?

Sadly for the once-proud Oakland Raiders, the answer is none of the five yet-to-be signed players in attendance (newly minted Dolphins offensive tackle Jake Long is the exception) at the Lighthouse at Chelsea Piers really wants to join the franchise.

Or as one agent put: “Sure, somebody is going to want to go fourth overall because of the money, but they’re not going to like the prospects once they get there.”

There is no greater indictment of a team than the stricken look that comes upon a player’s face when he realizes he must go to the Raiders, the NFL’s wasteland. Sure, plenty of players, such as safety Gibril Wilson, cornerback DeAngelo Hall, defensive tackle Tommy Kelly and running back Justin Fargas, lined up to take the money. That’s why when the Raiders pick at No. 4 overall on Saturday, some player will manage a smile for the cameras. And if he smiles, he should get an Oscar with his Raiders jersey.

Draftees are probably thinking through scenarios where they can avoid becoming Raiders. Take running back Darren McFadden, who has drawn a lot of interest from the Raiders and the New York Jets, who pick No. 6 overall. The thinking in that camp is if LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey goes No. 2 overall to St. Louis, Atlanta at No. 3 might trade with the Jets at No. 6, giving New York a clear path to him.

Over where Ohio State defensive tackle Vernon Gholston was sitting, his camp was hoping that either he or Virginia defensive end Chris Long would go No. 2 to the Rams. Then Dorsey would go No. 3, McFadden No. 4 and Gholston would end up at No. 5 (to Kansas City) or at No. 6 to the Jets.

Even Long, the son of Hall of Fame Raiders defensive lineman Howie Long, really has no desire to follow in his father’s footsteps. Part of that is the automatic pressure that goes with being a Raider Legacy (boy, is that an odd term these days), but much of it is because even his father knows that the Raiders just aren’t run well anymore.

Or as one person close to Chris Long said mockingly in recent days: “There’s no way you can tell what the Raiders are going to do because not even (owner) Al (Davis) knows what he’s doing.”
Ouch.

About the only player unconcerned with the fate of being No. 4 is Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan. He was asked to give a mock draft for the top six picks. When he got to No. 4 he said with comfort, “You know they’re not taking me,” an obvious reference to the fact that Oakland took quarterback JaMarcus Russell at No. 1 overall last year.

Ryan has the most uncertain Saturday of the lot. There’s talk that he could end up with Atlanta, Kansas City or Baltimore at No. 8. When asked how he’d feel if he took an Aaron Rodgers- or Brady Quinn-type fall in the draft, Ryan took the moment in stride, giving a very professional response.

“Five years ago, if you told me I’ll be a first-round pick, I’d take it and be happy. If you told me a year ago I’ll be a first-round pick, I’ll take it. Anywhere in the first round would be great,” he said. “Hopefully, I’m not sitting too long, but I’ll be excited with whoever takes me. It’s going to be exciting, no question.”

Whoever goes No. 4 to Oakland, it’s hard to believe they’ll feel the same way.

ive seen worst teams, they will be better this year :)

Absolutely! I am very excited and Jason Cole is a hater!:p But on a serious note, we have improved the secondary(DeAngelo Hall) and picking up some desperately needed speed at reciever in Javor Walker, I expect about 6-9 wins this year...AND a playoff run next season!

Absolutely! I am very excited and Jason Cole is a hater!:p But on a serious note, we have improved the secondary(DeAngelo Hall) and picking up some desperately needed speed at reciever in Javor Walker, I expect about 6-9 wins this year...AND a playoff run next season!
AGREE!! I think we will be 7-9 or 8-8!

Attachments

• 001raiders.gif
    001raiders.gif
    129.1 KB · Views: 192
BlackHitachi will have them in the playoffs by the time this thread has run it's course!:D

Not this year...but definately next year! Rounds 3-7 produces some great choices for the Raiders in the draft:

Tyvon Brach was a great pick in the 4th round and quite possibly the steal of the draft at cornerback. Arman Shields was a very good receiver at Richmond, the guy got hurt, was at full strength at the combine and at 6-3, 200 lbs, ran a 4.38(MUCH needed height and speed at receiver). I read he had route issues, but that can be improved with proper coaching...he too was picked up in the 4th round. In the 6th round they picked up a converted TE to DE/OLB, Trevor Scott, that ran 4.5s at 6-5 260 lbs! Good pick that can play multiple postions. In the final round, the picked up Chaz Schilens, a 6-4, 220 lbs receiver that was running 4.34 at the combines!

I amm VERY excited about the draft. I am hoping some of the free agents will pan out and we will go from there. Things can turn around quickly....like I said, I hoping for a 7-9, maybe an 8-8 season.

Gotta love Tyvon Branch going to Oakland - typical Raiders pick, with speed to burn!

Did I mention he's a Husky? :)

I dont see how MCFadden changes anything. They will just tackle him on their jail break to the QB. They have wasted 2 drafts picking The QB and RB with no one to block. Blocking has been their problem for quite a few years now.

=== Oakland Raiders 2008 NFL Draft Review ===

By Tony Moss, NFL Editor

(Sports Network) -

1 - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas (6-1, 211); 4 - Tyvon Branch, DB,
Connecticut (5-11, 204); 4 - Arman Shields, WR, Richmond (6-1, 194); 6 -
Trevor Scott, DE, Buffalo (6-5, 256); 7 - Chaz Schilens, WR, San Diego State
(6-4, 208)

Analysis: As expected, the Raiders went for the big splash and took McFadden,
which is good news for JaMarcus Russell and bad news for Justin Fargas,
Dominic Rhodes, LaMont Jordan, and Michael Bush. Look for one or a couple of
those names to be dealt in the near future. Branch and Shields were both
"speed" picks, since neither were overly productive as collegians. Scott's
best chance of making the team might be as a tight end, and Schilens is a
major long shot. Neither the o-line nor a sketchy defensive front seven were
addressed.

Bottom Line: McFadden will be the only memorable player to come out of this
Draft for the Raiders, who did most of their offseason damage in free agency.

Grade: C

=== Oakland Raiders 2008 NFL Draft Review ===

By Tony Moss, NFL Editor

(Sports Network) -

1 - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas (6-1, 211); 4 - Tyvon Branch, DB,
Connecticut (5-11, 204); 4 - Arman Shields, WR, Richmond (6-1, 194); 6 -
Trevor Scott, DE, Buffalo (6-5, 256); 7 - Chaz Schilens, WR, San Diego State
(6-4, 208)

Analysis: As expected, the Raiders went for the big splash and took McFadden,
which is good news for JaMarcus Russell and bad news for Justin Fargas,
Dominic Rhodes, LaMont Jordan, and Michael Bush. Look for one or a couple of
those names to be dealt in the near future. Branch and Shields were both
"speed" picks, since neither were overly productive as collegians. Scott's
best chance of making the team might be as a tight end, and Schilens is a
major long shot. Neither the o-line nor a sketchy defensive front seven were
addressed.

Bottom Line: McFadden will be the only memorable player to come out of this
Draft for the Raiders, who did most of their offseason damage in free agency.

Grade: C

When you get a chance, checkout SCOUT.COM....they have a different take on each individual player...and they are ALOT MORE credible than this guy. Even the guy you used to bash the Raiders for this thread, gave them an A- ....:rolleyes:

Love tha Raiders!!! Bad times lately, but I think if Al will keep Kiffin around for more than a couple years he will get the team back to the playoffs in a year or two. Wont happen overnight even with the addition of McF. By the way, we are one RB less now:
www.kansascity.com | 04/28/2008 | Raiders release Rhodes

Knew that was coming....and Michael Bush, though great his PRE-INJURY years with Louisville....it was a good move to draft him in the later rounds, but he was still a long shot. LaMont Jordan will be released soon....

Knew that was coming....and Michael Bush, though great his PRE-INJURY years with Louisville....it was a good move to draft him in the later rounds, but he was still a long shot. LaMont Jordan will be released soon....

I would have liked to have seen LaMont work out, but so be it. Huggy jr. stepped up last year, so I think with him and DMC in the back field, should be pretty good. And hopefully when Bush heals up well, he will give Huggy jr. a good battle for the second back.

My quesiton is, who do we have that will catch the bombs from J.R.?????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)