The Right Stuff?

AT&TDishman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Indianapolis
Sorry, if this has been asked before, but I have an allergy to searching. :D

After reading all the horror stories about install peeps I was wondering what it takes to become an E* installer? Do you have to submit to a background check, have a drug check, etc.?

P.S. Humorous replies will be appreciated, as well as, serious ones.

to become an E* installer, you have to have a clean driving record, clean background, and a clean drug test (serious answer)

you must also like to be screwed with and work on days your supposed to be off, not be able to plan anything because you might have to work that day and like dealing with customers that are for the most part, technologically challenged. (funny answer

I hear you also need to enjoy not getting paid for work you did, just in case every job you do is not 100% perfect in somebody else's opinion, or somebody accidentally changes the TV channel and wonders why they don't have a picture, or any other multitude of reasons they can come up with to not pay you.

you must also like to be screwed with and work on days your supposed to be off, not be able to plan anything because you might have to work that day and like dealing with customers that are for the most part, technologically challenged. (funny answer

Funny - when I had my E* installation, it was the installer who was the technically challenged one. Refer to my previous comments about the installer explaining transponders as "micro satellites that orbit the main satellite" :D

But, he got it to work and it's been pretty solid...

No jail time is one, a couple points are ok but if you have 4 or more then forget it, failing a drug test is a bad thing just like any other business.

Inhouse techs work four day work weeks, get paid by the hour, get 2 weeks paid vacation first two years and three weeks after the third year, uniforms, tools, training, vehicle are all provided, some benefits start right away, best perk of the job isnt the $30 off programming but the out of market work trips where you can make a ton of cash.

Downfalls:

Long long hours, picking up slow techs work and work from new techs that are over routed, typical customer issues, health savings account inplace of health insurance, a long history of interoffice politics. Right now I wouldnt recommend anyone go to work for dish, Charlies got something going on with trying to sell the company wich would explain cutting out health insurance to save money and increase his bottom line and if he does sell the company anyone new will most likely get terminated.

Funny - when I had my E* installation, it was the installer who was the technically challenged one. Refer to my previous comments about the installer explaining transponders as "micro satellites that orbit the main satellite" :D

But, he got it to work and it's been pretty solid...
In this business dealing with all that installers do you have to be a little crazy and a comedian to not completely loose it.