The Samsung BD-UP5000 to be discontinued in May

Just as I have said, the BD world is NOT consumer friendly:

"We suspect the problem is that the player isn't delivering, and on top of that, we don't think it's Samsung's fault. You see, just like the LG BH200, the BD-UP5000 is based on Broadcom's Reference design BCM97440, and the word on the street is that it isn't ever going to deliver."

At the price of BD standalones this is ABSURD! He forgot the POS samsung 1400, numerous threads on that loser not playing the new discs at AVS. Stick to the PS3 until the BD money grab/consumer screw job is over

The Samsung BD standalone players had problems, too.

The Sony BDP-S300 might have been featureless, slow and overpriced but at least it played all the movies (after like a 2 hour load time or something like that).

I think the standalones came out of the box buggy and had to be fixed with FW. I think teamerickson is happy with his 1400. Ill admit though, I bought the BD30 over the 1400 because of the rep.

I have to wonder if that's the "real" reason and if they actually plan on another combo later in the year.

They are scheduled for the 5500 in May to replace the 5000. Whether or not it comes out now is a different story.

S~

They are scheduled for the 5500 in May to replace the 5000. Whether or not it comes out now is a different story.

S~

The 5500 (currently planned for a May release) is not a 'replacement' as it will not have the REON HQV up-converting chipset, nor will it have on-board decoding of audio or multi-channel audio output. The 5500 will be a 'bare bones' Duo HD player.

A replacement for the 5000 will come at the end of 2008, at which time a new 'flagship' Duo HD player will be released (rumored to be called the "6500"), which will include everything that the 5000 claimed to have, but in a fully functioning, 'stable' hardware platform.

Spence

I remember my first DVD players and the problems they had- especially the lip sync problems which seemed to take too long to fix. But few remember those problems today. I'm sure it will be the same with Blu-ray. They will release improved, cheaper models that won't even need firmware updates. That will be when high def players will spread more rapidly.

I remember my first DVD players and the problems they had- especially the lip sync problems which seemed to take too long to fix. But few remember those problems today. I'm sure it will be the same with Blu-ray. They will release improved, cheaper models that won't even need firmware updates. That will be when high def players will spread more rapidly.

The BR "Not Ready for Primetime" player doesn't have that long. D/Ls will kill the format.

D/L will never reign as a supreme format either; media companies and ISPs will see to that. Ans most users will want a disc format to burn it to so they can watch in on a laptop or in the car/plane.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)