The Situation in ALASKA

MikeInAlaska

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Wasilla, AK
Wow do I get conflicting information from vendors in Alaska for getting HD Dish. "You need one dish, it can get all three sats." - "You need two dishes, just 119 and 129" - "You need three dishes... 110, 119 and 129" Not to mention the various ideas about what size dishes to get.

What is the best plan for an Alaskan in Wasilla / Anchorage area?

Can I keep my 48" on 119 and point a 40" at 110 and another 40" at 129? Is a 6 foot dish required for 129?

Please, clear the fog.

Thanks a million !!

Mike in Wasilla

I thought this was about Palin resigning LOL

for a straight answer go to the tree instead of the roots
call dish and ask to speak with someone and make sure they are giving you info on alaska.

Wow do I get conflicting information from vendors in Alaska for getting HD Dish. "You need one dish, it can get all three sats." - "You need two dishes, just 119 and 129" - "You need three dishes... 110, 119 and 129" Not to mention the various ideas about what size dishes to get.

Can I keep my 48" on 119 and point a 40" at 110 and another 40" at 129? Is a 6 foot dish required for 129?

Please, clear the fog.

Thanks a million !!

Mike in Wasilla

I'm in the Fairbanks area and to get everything possible from Dish, I use 3 dishes. Two 48" and one 6' dish. You might get away with smaller dishes (I see them around town). I like the three separate dishes as I think it is easier to point a single dish to a single satellite than to trying to point a single dish to multiple satellites.

Have you tried talking with The Satellite Guy in Anchorage? I've gotten a few items from them and they were always helpful in explaining what needed to be done to get things working.

Last edited:

Please, clear the fog.

Thanks a million !!

Mike in Wasilla

A co-worker had a two dish install and is happy. Satellite Alaska did the install.

I have three dishes. The smallest I think is 30-36 inches and points at 110. The four footer points at 119. I have a six footer that I use for 129. You don't need the six footer, but I already had it and it allows me to get a lot of other premium HD channels(HB0, SHO, STARZ) that aren't available yet with the Alaska HD package. I also get the RSN's in HD from 129 so hopefully come college football/basketball season I'll have other options.

Dish recently added a lot of HD on a spotbeam to Alaska so the signal on the HD channels will be much stronger than the "regular" channels that are on 110

OK good stuff !! thanks !!

So I went craigslist crazy this weekend and ended up with a 6 foot dish and two 40" dishes for a song. If you were looking at a fresh install, which sat should get the 6 footer?

Do aluminum dishes versus the channel master dishes pull different signal strengths?

OK good stuff !! thanks !!

So I went craigslist crazy this weekend and ended up with a 6 foot dish and two 40" dishes for a song. If you were looking at a fresh install, which sat should get the 6 footer?

Do aluminum dishes versus the channel master dishes pull different signal strengths?

Use the 6' dish for the 129 sat. You can receive all the additional HD premium channels that are on it if you subscribe to some of the movie channels. Use the other ones for 110 and 119.

Don't know about the second part of your question.

usually not. Is the Channelmaster dish oblong or round?

I have both ChannelMaster (old Primestar) dishes and what you would call aluminum (Fortec, Winegard & GeoSatpro) here in Minnesota. It can get cold here (-30 in January).....of course not as cold as you might get ;) but I havent had any issues with my dish "farm"

Just make sure you use Dishpro LNBs and switches, as the legacy equipment will not work for 129. I just had to go through an upgrade in order to get 129 to work on my 622 receiver.

FYI, for new dish network HD customers, they are now installing a 30 inch "ak500" dish for 119 and 129, and a second 30 inch dish for 110. The 30 inch ak500 dish will only receive the 5 spotbeam transponders from 129. As others have pointed out, it takes at least a 6 footer to pick up the conus beam from 129.

Last edited:
So now I got it!!!

Thanks for Legacy issue information. I have spent weeks on my problem to get 129 work on my SW64. Gosh!! All I have got from 129 is TP9 with it and it has driven me nuts. So, If I change my LNBs to DishPro and switch to DP44 I should get all HD channels? My old setup was 110, 119 and 148. Since 148 is gone I have tried to get 129 on it. Will upgrade soon and I'll post results.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)