The State of HD DVD

Whats interesting is the dichotomy of the situation.

In order for there to be a winner, people have to make a choice. Either commit ot HD DVD or Bluray.

Because people dont know which side will be obsolete , people arent buying discs. They are waiting to the whole thing shakes out.

I myself have the HD DVD addon for the XBOX 360. A cheap way to watch movies.

However, outside of a few titles I wont commit many $'s in purchasing movies until I know who the winner is.

What differance does it make which format if either wins out? I support BD and I have purchased over 80 titles. I have put my money where my mouth is. There are HD-DVD supporters who have purchased many HD-DVD titles. These purchases are not going to go away and the discs are not going to stop working just because HD-DVD or BluRay stops functioning as a format.

If HD-DVD outlasts BluRay then I will buy a HD-DVD player and start purchasing new titles on HD-DVD -- I will not replace my BD titles. And I am sure that if BluRay wins those folks who have supported HD-DVD are not going to throw away their HD-DVD player and movies. They will just buy a BluRay player and start purchasing new BluRay movies .

The world will go on and we will continue to have our high def hunger fed. Nobody loses, only those setting on the sidelines and not purchasing either player are the ones missing out on some great high def movies on both formats.

What differance does it make which format if either wins out? I support BD and I have purchased over 80 titles. I have put my money where my mouth is. There are HD-DVD supporters who have purchased many HD-DVD titles. These purchases are not going to go away and the discs are not going to stop working just because HD-DVD or BluRay stops functioning as a format.

If HD-DVD outlasts BluRay then I will buy a HD-DVD player and start purchasing new titles on HD-DVD -- I will not replace my BD titles. And I am sure that if BluRay wins those folks who have supported HD-DVD are not going to throw away their HD-DVD player and movies. They will just buy a BluRay player and start purchasing new BluRay movies .

The world will go on and we will continue to have our high def hunger fed. Nobody loses, only those setting on the sidelines and not purchasing either player are the ones missing out on some great high def movies on both formats.

Joe, you are the one that posts about the end of days for HD-DVD :p

So you must care :p

Hey, no way can you convince me that when BD is finally spec'd out that HD-DVD is a supperior format. I support BD for alot of reasons but in the end -- I am an early adopter. I have finally got to a place financially that even though I am not rich I can buy some high priced toys and my choice was BD because of the movie selection. If HD-DVD had Disney and Fox I would be supporting HD-DVD but they don't so I go where the movies that my wife, my grandson and I want to watch. I don't care that much about the players -- it has always been about the movies.

Hey, no way can you convince me that when BD is finally spec'd out that HD-DVD is a supperior format.

No argument there. The problem is that it's not spec'd out. 1.1 is finally coming to fruition. The first 1.1 player doesn't even internally decode TrueHD. :rolleyes:

WTF is wrong w/ Blu-Ray manufacturers? Kudos to Sony for the PS3. Razzies to them for handicapping it (not allowing bitstream audio output through HDMI, giving it a Bluetooth remote and not allowing it to internally decode DTS-MA) so that it doesn't completely destroy standalone sales.

$500 for players that barely play movies and lock-up on the extras? Jeez.

That's what makes a lot of HD-DVD supporters wonder why people buy Blu-Ray.

In the end we can all agree.
Blu-ray has more desirable movies that most people want than HD-DVD.

Blu ray got *Known* companies making players for them ex: LG/Samsung/Sony/Philips/Panasonic

vs Toshiba and some unknown company.

Studios, Sony got the studios advantage and the movies that come out for BR are more desirable.
Toshiba got some but thats about it, nothing too special like Transformers, I don't think there was a bigger hit than transformers from HD-DVD.

Even when movies come out for both forums (Aka Warner) blu-ray still outsells them.

I hope I made my point clear, and if you don't, ........

And Blu-ray got more TV commercials/ads than HD-DVD :)

? Wow, this is pretty ignorant! In the end you try and convience us that you make sense, but you just don't. You need to back up your arguments with some facts to convience me.

Blu-ray Disc US site go to hardware, nuff said.

Why is blu-ray outselling HD-DVD in disc sales hmm let me guess just because its named BLURAY? NO, because blu-ray has the titles people want: http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-dvd-blu-ray-war-zone/94123-high-def-disc-unit-sales-digital-bits.html
There is your proof.

Why is blu-ray outselling HD-DVD in disc sales...
Out-selling? It would be more accurately called out-giving_away, I think.

And what does BDA has to show for these generous giveaways resulting in 2:1 sales ratio for a whole year?
They lost Paramount; lost a couple billion $$ (Sony); Fox appeared from hiatus to parrot a few prepared statements
and disappeared again; Warner still doesn't give a f*ck about the numbers of PS3s sold and all ratios and stays neutral...

Did I miss something? Oh, yeah...
Pro-BD posters are having a field day with latest Bay comments (probably, until he sobers up and retracts them)
and once again resurfaced rumor about Warner just about ready to turn blu...:)

They (Warner) must be blu :))) in face by now reading all this dreck and stink emanating from blu-diehards posters...

Diogen.

Blu-ray Disc US site go to hardware, nuff said.
MY eyes!! Oh God my eyes!!

Why is blu-ray outselling HD-DVD in disc sales hmm let me guess just because its named BLURAY? NO, because blu-ray has the titles people want: http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-dvd-blu-ray-war-zone/94123-high-def-disc-unit-sales-digital-bits.html
There is your proof.
So your saying that because BD sells more discs it is more diserable? That's one possible explanation but how about because BD has 4 times the players? That seems more likely. I could argue that because there are more movies sold per player (attachment rate) with HD DVD it is more deserable. But I'll just refer to my other post were I tried to give you some knowledge with 2007 movie revenues and which format the movies will be released. It was even.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1141293-post26.html

The reality is that sales are a drop in the bucket compared to SD DVD, and until that changes, we are really too early to tell where this is going.

That said, given the issues with Sony and their technology challenges, that is a good thing for them because if the market share was larger, they would be in big trouble. They need to fix these issues soon, however. Toshiba has managed to stick around despite having a number of factors against them. Lower prices has helped.

Sony really should have wrapped this up a long time ago, but they insist on keeping their prices higher. Same thing they did with Beta in the 80s. You would think they would have learned, but somehow they want to try to repeat history.

Unless they change their pricing strategy, Toshiba will slowly eat their market share away. This is going to become evident soon as the recent purchases of the bargain priced HD DVD players is going to result in increased HD DVD sales. Given that the stand alone players affect purchases more that the PS3, it should have a marked impact.

All Sony has to do is match the pricing, and they will win this thing, even with all their technology challenges. However, they seem to always refuse, and that could be their undoing...just like in the 80s.

The reality is that sales are a drop in the bucket compared to SD DVD, and until that changes, we are really too early to tell where this is going.

That said, given the issues with Sony and their technology challenges, that is a good thing for them because if the market share was larger, they would be in big trouble. They need to fix these issues soon, however. Toshiba has managed to stick around despite having a number of factors against them. Lower prices has helped.

Sony really should have wrapped this up a long time ago, but they insist on keeping their prices higher. Same thing they did with Beta in the 80s. You would think they would have learned, but somehow they want to try to repeat history.

Unless they change their pricing strategy, Toshiba will slowly eat their market share away. This is going to become evident soon as the recent purchases of the bargain priced HD DVD players is going to result in increased HD DVD sales. Given that the stand alone players affect purchases more that the PS3, it should have a marked impact.

All Sony has to do is match the pricing, and they will win this thing, even with all their technology challenges. However, they seem to always refuse, and that could be their undoing...just like in the 80s.

It pretty much has to do with 2 things: Greed & Control

It pretty much has to do with 2 things: Greed & Control

That's a point a lot of Blue supporters forget. The reason a track record is important.

Sony Micro manages their formats to death. Thats why they fail. Studios get sick of it after awhile and pull out. See UMD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts